Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 11:44 PM

6 posts, read 17,622 times

Advertisements

I'm a native from Shreveport; left three years ago to move almost seven hundred miles away from home. The family I have came with me, so no compelling reason to go back for a visit. I am sentimental about my old neighborhood, though, and want to know how it's faring under the changing climate of the city. Does anyone know about the condition of Southern Hills (around Manor Place/Blom Blvd.)? It would kill my soul to think the area has become crime ridden.... yet, I'd like to know. Anyone have information that's current and accurate?

Thank you in advance for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 10:11 PM

474 posts, read 1,416,841 times
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that area is going down.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:07 PM

Thank you for your response, Maine! Is that exact area in disrepair? Oh, that just makes me so sad..... it was a nice, middle class neighborhood, even ten years ago. I know we had always kept our yard equipment out in the open with no problems; however, not long before we moved we did have our lawn mower stolen. Pathetic.The only possible good thing we saw that could come out of it would be if the little hoods who took it actually planned to use it for working (mowing yards).

I know all the area around Mansfield Road has gone down terribly..... I was hoping that Manor Place and all the streets shooting off of it had maintained, at least to some degree.

I've heard there are plans to build section 8 housing across from Ridgewood Middle School. True?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 24,766 times
Going down from what it used to be, back in the day. Still fairly well kept, compared with other Southern Hills areas. Palmetto, Primrose, Oleander,Francais, still being kept up for the most part.

Around the old Southpark mall, Mackey, Hoyte dr, Alkay, etc Pretty much gone to seed.

Hyde Park? down the tubes, "Indian county", wear your side arms

East of Kingston, down Flournoy lucas towards Linwood, looks like a scene from "Deliverence".

I think the Section 8 deal has been shelved.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:25 AM

Thank you, thruthefence! I really appreciate your knowledgable input. I know urban migration patterns contribute to a lot of this, it just saddens me so.

My grandfather's best friend lived on Primrose; glad to hear it's holding its own. See, some of my fondest memories are from back in the day, when that area was really nice. It's so hard to believe what was thriving even ten years ago is just gone.

When Southpark started having so much trouble it was a given that the, for lack of a better word, "element" was moving into that area. Wow, though, down FL, a scene from "Deliverence". Scary!

I remember taking power walks down Manor, going up and down the off-shoot streets, great hills to exercise on. I suppose it's not safe to do that anymore.... what a shame.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,182 times
Default Southern Hills is Coming Back again

Dear Maine,
I appreciate your empathy and love for Southern Hills. I would like to let you know that we are coming back strong from our downward spiral. Our police, Sheriff department, and our elected officials are working hand in hand with our Homeowners Association and Business Associations to put our area back in the running for the place for families to thrive. The Library warehouse support has moved in at Kingston Road and Bert Kouns in the old Food Lion building. We have Carl Jrs. that is building a new home at the former Monjuni's. Where the old Albertson's was is now a storage facility and a gym. We have recently gotten a Denny's and a 20 20 Shrimp that is really good. We have a beautiful new Raising Cane's on the corner of Mansfield Road and Jewella. The old South Park Mall is now Summer Grove Baptist Church with a new young pastor that is on fire for the Lord and ready to reach out to the Community. On April 13th we are having a communty clean up day that our children of Southwood receive service hours to help in that endeavor. On April 14th , Summer Grove will also be picking up litter on alternate streets that we will not get to.
May 18th we have our annual "Music In The Park" in which we will have Airheart, Casey Martin Band, Willie Jones the X-Factor finalist and Parker Ward that will be doing a stroll down memory lane and an Elvis impersonation. We are partnering with S.P.A.R. and Soldier's Angels for our event. Our goal is that it will be children and pet friendly.
At Christmas we have a parade that begins at Sheriff Safety Town that goes down Jewella to Mackey Lane and into the neighborhoods. It keeps growing.
I just thought you would love to hear that we are reviatlizing Southern Hlls and plan to knock on every door with a welcome to join us in making Southern Hills better than the good old days.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:40 PM

22 posts, read 27,148 times
Beating a dead horse. You should get out now while you still have a little value if you own your home. It is a folly to think Southern Hills is coming back. It is a neighborhood in transition. How long did we have to hear that guy from the Highland Restoration Ass. shreik "highland's coming back"? It did not come back, it is a burnt out dirt pit with broken down houses and crack heads. The best thing would be for a crack in the earth to open up and devour it. Sometimes you just have to let go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City