Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 10,236 times

Advertisements

If you've ever been to a concert at the Arena, or a sporting event, you'll know that the arena barely fills 3/4's full capacity. Many times it's 1/2. And the likelihood of wanting to build a 10-20,000 seating arena wouldn't be profitable. What's going to happen is that it will cost more with the loss of ticket sales, I believe.

There is not a lot of interest for big name artists to come to Sioux Falls, half of them barely even know where Minneapolis, let alone Omaha is. I don't believe that an event center is the best decision for the city at this time, maybe in 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 01:25 AM

68 posts, read 171,979 times
and as long as Sioux falls doesn't have a modern events center, Rapid city will reap the benefits. If anything, the existing events center in Sioux falls just needs a good remodel... though, that wont help the lack of space for a full regulation sized sheet of ice for hockey and such.... and then you look at the price to remodel it up to todays standards (concert rigging support, sky-boxes, in house sound and video, roof repairs, new seating, event support facilities ect) and you just may as well build a new events center.

what is interesting is that rapid city gets plenty of big name artists, and its a much smaller metropolitan area. i would think this is because BOTH arenas in the civic center in rapid city meet or exceed the requirements for most concerts.

we need to look at what causing events in the arena to not sell out. is it the lack of interest in whos performing, or what teams playing? is it ticket prices? what causes a event in the sioux falls arena, which has a capacity of around 7,000 for end concerts, to not fill up, but a event in the barnett arena in rapid city which has a capacity of around 10,000 for end concerts to sell out?

also, is there a demand for more events space or improved events space in Sioux falls? do they have to turn events away due to a lack of space, or due to inadequate facilities?

i was reading up on a study that was done a while back for Sioux falls, and it provided a lot of interesting information.

then we need to look at what Sioux falls NEEDS to support its residents, before we put a events center in the middle of the city.... it would be VERY embarrassing to the city to have the NICE arena, and then tell event attendees that they cant use the restroom, because of a sewage line failure.

and now, i feel like playing sim city....

i stand in the middle of the whole thing, but i live in western south Dakota, so it really wont effect me much.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,272 times
There are much more important things for Sioux Falls to spend money on, namely roads and redevelopment of the downtown area before they consider an events center. I for one would care more about the roads being in better shape then I would for an events center.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:13 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
You gotta look at who's to profit. Somebody is getting money for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls