U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-21-2006, 07:06 PM

21 posts, read 109,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
OutofTexas~

1. You won't have any traffic jams in Sx. Falls. The traffic seems fast paced to me at times, but I come from a town of less them 15,000 people. Sx. Falls traffic will be no comparison compared to what you're used to. There are actually no traffic jams there. Everyone can easily keep moving at all times.
hehehe, I just had to respond. I had to drive to Los Angeles today (from San Diego) and I was flying down I5 at 75 mph and there were people zooming past me! =D
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2006, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 17,945 times
Default Info on Sioux Falls

Hello Texas,
I haven't been on the site for a while and I'm getting caught up on your questions. Jamie is very insightful with a wealth of information.
I lived in Sioux Falls for 12 years before moving to the east where I lived in Baltimore, Boston, and Cincinatti. I really liked Sioux Falls, however my biggest complaint of the city is the road construction. My personal opinion is that the city planners don't plan very well. They don't plan for the amount the growth the city experiences every year thus they are constantly having to redo projects and roads. There is deffinately a rush hour but it is nothing like any of the other cities I have lived in. And if you get to know the short-cuts and back streets you can avoid a lot of it.
Shopping, dining, and entertainment is all good in Sioux Falls, it seems there are new stores and resaurants everytime I am there.
I now live in Huron which is in the central part of the state.
All of the land in this area is good for gardening. I think you will really like it. As you mentioned, the only thing that really takes getting used to is the cold, wind, and our humidity levels will be much lower than Fla.
I hope your visit here goes well. Good luck!

Sarah, with mysouthdakotajobs.com

Old 09-27-2006, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,224 times
Default Moving to Sioux Falls?

I've lived in south Dakota for 3 years Iíve also lived in many other places including Dallas Texas. unfortunately my resources left out a lot of details when I asked the same question you are asking now. What are some bad things about Sioux Falls? First Iíll tell you what I like. Sioux falls is pretty! especially in the fallÖ thatís really about all I like about it. I feel people haven't been completely honest with you. If you are looking for work outside of call centers donít move here! there is a lot of PART-TIME work in Sioux falls and thatís it! Anything full time is in telemarking . which of course is a good opportunity for those who can meet the unrealistic quotas the companies expect one to maintain. another downside to South Dakota is Sioux falls is the largest "city" in the state. Sioux falls has a population of approximately 200,000. Everyone else is here from one of the surround towns which have nothing. With that in mind, letís consider the competition when applying for a job. Sioux falls borders towns with no opportunities in in 3 states. Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska. Now thatís a lot of people looking for work in a town without many large companies. to increase ones difficulty to get a job in Sioux falls, there are a ton of colleges in town flooding the job market with people with masterís degrees. This means if you donít have a graduate degree and or a lot of years of experience in your profession don't expect to become employed in Sioux falls. Another thing I hate about Sioux falls is driving anywhere. grant it the traffic is nowhere that of Houston, but how many times have you seen some clod-hopper in down town Houston driving down the wrong side of the road wondering why people are honking? incompetence of the sort is rather plentiful in Sioux falls. People don't know how to yield, among other things, so Iíd say traffic here is just as nerve racking as living in a city. Last but not least is the customer service. another thing I detest about South Dakota is itís idea of customer service. I went to a restaurant once and ordered pancakes. I politely asked for no butter. when they brought me my order, my pancakes had a ton of butter . I politely reminded the waitress I had asked for no butter. after mumbling under her breath she disappeared in the back somewhere. about 15 minutes later she returned with the same plate of pancakes only this time she had cut a hole around the center of my food where the butter had been. then asked me if it was ok if she just cut a hole in the middle of my food. the work ethic out here is so different than in Texas. South Dakota is lazy! Stay in Texas! Donít get me wrong if you want to give up a decent blood pressure come on down! Sioux falls needs more people with common sense. Seems we are always recruiting! but before you move consider coming what Iíve said. I here Minneapolis is nice. unfortunately South Dakotans never fail to astonish me with their stupidity. I regret moving here.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:05 PM

13,496 posts, read 25,447,434 times
I'm sorry that your experience here wasn't good. I hope you get the chance to find the place that's right for you. It isn't fun living where you're miserable. Good luck to you.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,358 times
Well, I live in Sioux falls, and see lots of jobs available. Employment is not a problem. Right now it is one of the lowest in the nation. REALLY well-paying manufacturing jobs are sliding out, but you can't get everything. SD is a low-income state, after all.

But the politics are rather divided in the state right now, with a major fight over abortion coming up. This is poisoning the atmosphere and detracting from the friendly Midwest image.

Politics is somewhat appearing as cronyism, but that seems a problem for the entire upper Midwest right now.

But otherwise, this is a great place to live. Safe area, where a recent police crackdown on an area near downtown per some fighting and drinking has made headlines and spurred big debates for many weeks now.

Generally good schools and a reasonably progressive school board, although they are caving to the religious right, which is active in pushing their agenda on everybody else here. People are getting tired of their absolutism and divisiveness, though, so they won't last long.

Open space, housing boom, reasonably short distance to Omaha or Twin Cities if you have a desire to visit urban traffic congestions.

So there really aren't much to seriously complain about here.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:01 PM

69 posts, read 206,418 times
Thanks Hate, now that’s what I’m talking about finally some info that’s not so pretty and perfect. I’m not saying that I would base me decision on 1 answer but I really would like all the different opinions so that I have all different views of the city.

I do plan on visiting before I make a big move, my wife is willing to follow along as long as I’m sure it is a better move for the family, and again I don’t expect any place to be perfect so my goals are realistic, so I’m really just looking for the best for certain things.
I can not state just how much I hate sitting in traffic and although I hate poor service if she at least asked me in English and understood me when I told her NO, then I might be willing to deal with ( maybe)

So keep the info coming folks any response good or bad is welcome and appreciated.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:36 PM

2,890 posts, read 1,941,491 times
What is the rent like in Sioux Falls? Would need a big house...family of five. What's the general cost of rental housing?

Old 10-07-2006, 08:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 25,447,434 times
Hi Griff, I'm not really sure what rent would be in Sioux Falls for a larger family.

The newspaper over there is the Sioux Falls Argus Leader and they always have a lot of rental listings. Rent has taken a tremendous jump in the past 10 years like it has all over. My guess is that for a nice, larger home it may run close to 1,000 a month.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,065 times
Hi, my name is Liz and I lived in sioux falls for 7 years. Honestly the worst things are the homeless and the crime rate is going up but compared to other states it is nothing major. Occasionaly it can be hard to find work but all in all it is exciting and not a bad place to live. Beware of construction season!!! :-)

Old 10-15-2006, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,217 times
I haved in the Sioux Falls area for the past 15 years the last 8 in Sioux Falls it self. Moved here from Northern Mn (frankly it was the southern most part of Canada).

As with any place it has it good points and bad. But for the most part the good out way the bad. Crime compared to other size cities is very low. We get upset if there is a murder.

We have a good school system in Sioux Falls that is the reason we moved here was we home schooled and wanted a good high school. If you don't want your kids to go to a large school there are great small school near.

We do have some bad areas but nothing compared to large cities or even cities our size.

Housing we have one of the lowest cost in the country.

If you want a job in Sioux Falls it is not that hard to get one. Now wages are a differnt story. We do have the highest percent of working mothers in the country.

Medical care is top rated

None the bad points weather is a major one. The wind never seems to stop blowing. Winter is cold, snow, and my favorite one freezing rain. Summers can be hot and humid. Oh yes road constrution but i don't care where you live you have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls