Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,896,583 times

Advertisements

Sioux Falls area may lean conservative (compared to MPLS area, California, and the East coast), but is moderate when compared to most other areas in South Dakota, coming from a Democrat. There are many other places and cities that are more conservative and many more that are more polarized than Sioux Falls politically. The military towns are obviously conservative along with many areas in the south, especially Deep South, along with places such as Idaho, Utah, etc. Sioux Falls/Minnehaha County leaned towards Clinton back in the 1990s and is traditionally reliable for Democratic political candidates.

Sioux Falls has its rich areas and poor areas but it does not have the huge divide that Camden Northsider is trying to portray. I have been to 39 states and to a number of other cities and know from my travels and visits that Sioux Falls pales in comparison to the rich vs. poor divide when compared to other areas. Examples of cities with wider rich vs. poor divides include Flint, MI; Yakima, WA; Monroe, LA; Jackson, MS; Memphis, TN; Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ; Topeka, KS; MPLS-St. Paul metro and the list goes on. South Dakota and Sioux Falls rate high nationally for volunteering and it helps the poor. Volunteerism is actually more effective with helping the community and the poor as opposed to giving handouts to the poor, which in a number of instances get squandered. Sorry, but Sioux Falls is the city of the "haves" and "have nots" and is where poverty is just a neighbor away.

Yes, the planning could be better and I wished that the 26th St. would go through the country clubs. Is ironic that the rich people squeal and get their way when it comes to their playground and they would not blink twice if the poor and average folk have their homes and areas condemned? The city is realizing their past planning mistakes and the newer areas in the fringes of the city are better thought out and are easier to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 PM

464 posts, read 1,350,959 times
I've always found weird that in Sioux Falls the street addresses are off. Like all the houses on 1st street, in most towns the addresses would be 101, 105, 131, 151, etc. But in Sioux Falls it's off a couple blocks.
How'd that happen anyway?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,390,837 times
I'm not sure how or why it happened, but it had something to do with 9th Street and Phillips Avenue being the "center of the city" when it was founded.

example: 100 N. Phillips would be right at 9th & Phillips and then it goes from there.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
I've always found weird that in Sioux Falls the street addresses are off. Like all the houses on 1st street, in most towns the addresses would be 101, 105, 131, 151, etc. But in Sioux Falls it's off a couple blocks.
How'd that happen anyway?
I agree with you and think that Sioux Falls should have fixed it a long time ago. If the repair it now, oh no another crisis like the license plate ordeal (I better not go any further or I will go off on an opinionated tangent). The street addresses are off by eight blocks.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:41 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,319,868 times
OK, going with the title of this thread, I have one for you.

Sioux Falls bad things~the traffic as you are trying to leave a concert during the Fair.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:57 PM

Jammie, it does not surpise me that traffic is bad before or after a concert at the fair. It was a lot worse before 12th St. exit was completely redone and Madison St. (1 mile north) was installed a few years back with additional lanes. When my dad and I went to the Beach Boys concert back eight or nine years ago, traffic was backed all of the way to the 26th St./Louise Ave. exit from the fairgraounds.

When I went to the fair and from the fair on Wednesday, I have noticed some bad habits of some drivers. When a driver could make a right turn on a red (and should have done so-it was clear for him or her), the driver just sits there and holds up traffic. I am not sure if the person is clueless, not paying attention, or just being a pill. Little things like that can be annoying and make traffic worse. I often put up with some of that in Sioux Falls. Some of these people, like the one who held up traffic, would be in for a surprise in the Twin Cities or Denver, where people are more impatient than in Sioux Falls.

Sioux Falls has a fairly easy road system, but the things that make traffic worse include putting its mass retail all in one area (which will get better once Dawley Farm and other retail developments get going) and this was probably a lack of foresight in the 1980s and 1990s (but the city grew faster than what city leaders were thinking back in 1987 and 1993 for example). Another issue that is tied to the first issue is that the city is growing and with the growth comes more cars. It is better than the city shrinking or being stagnant but there were some past mistakes that should have been avoided. I think that the city should do a better job of coordinating their lights so that one does not have to sit at stop light and goes straight for several blocks and stop again at the next stop light when going the speed limit or a little over. One of the biggies includes drivers who do not pay attention and lack the concept of traffic flow. The poorly coordinated streetlight system has a small part of the system and there are those in the city who think that Sioux Falls is still a small town and drive as if they are in a small town, when in fact it is a city and be more in tune with urban driving. In some ways, I like driving in Omaha, Des Moines, and Kansas City better than in Sioux Falls. I have other comments about Sioux Falls traffic but will save it for another time. I like the Sioux Falls area and Sioux Falls in many aspects, but the traffic quirks is one of my biggest complaints.

Last edited by Chris19; 08-09-2008 at 11:10 PM..

Old 08-10-2008, 03:32 PM

Oh, we'd rather drive in Sx. Falls then any of the towns you mentioned. KC traffic is terrible especially during the summertime when they have lanes blocked off because of road construction. I guess when you get right down to it, if the population of a town is over 100,000, we don't like driving in it.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:02 AM

343 posts, read 1,082,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh, we'd rather drive in Sx. Falls then any of the towns you mentioned. KC traffic is terrible especially during the summertime when they have lanes blocked off because of road construction. I guess when you get right down to it, if the population of a town is over 100,000, we don't like driving in it.

I guess you prefer cities whose traffic report is:
"The Light Just Turned Green"

Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicsFan93 View Post
I guess you prefer cities whose traffic report is:
"The Light Just Turned Green"
Yup, that's kind of my speed. Actually, the small town that I grew up close to didn't have any stop lights and still has none.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:15 AM

196 posts, read 966,396 times
so are you saying South Dakota winters are better or worse than Minnesota????
help me out here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls