U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,216,392 times
Our winters aren't as cold as they are in northern Mn. Otherwise, they're fairly comparable.

The Rapid City area has the nicest winters in the state, but nonetheless, they are still worse then most of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 PM

6 posts, read 6,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HateSouthDakota View Post
I've lived in south Dakota for 3 years Iíve also lived in many other places including Dallas Texas. unfortunately my resources left out a lot of details when I asked the same question you are asking now. What are some bad things about Sioux Falls? First Iíll tell you what I like. Sioux falls is pretty! especially in the fallÖ thatís really about all I like about it. I feel people haven't been completely honest with you. If you are looking for work outside of call centers donít move here! there is a lot of PART-TIME work in Sioux falls and thatís it! Anything full time is in telemarking . which of course is a good opportunity for those who can meet the unrealistic quotas the companies expect one to maintain. another downside to South Dakota is Sioux falls is the largest "city" in the state. Sioux falls has a population of approximately 200,000. Everyone else is here from one of the surround towns which have nothing. With that in mind, letís consider the competition when applying for a job. Sioux falls borders towns with no opportunities in in 3 states. Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska. Now thatís a lot of people looking for work in a town without many large companies. to increase ones difficulty to get a job in Sioux falls, there are a ton of colleges in town flooding the job market with people with masterís degrees. This means if you donít have a graduate degree and or a lot of years of experience in your profession don't expect to become employed in Sioux falls. Another thing I hate about Sioux falls is driving anywhere. grant it the traffic is nowhere that of Houston, but how many times have you seen some clod-hopper in down town Houston driving down the wrong side of the road wondering why people are honking? incompetence of the sort is rather plentiful in Sioux falls. People don't know how to yield, among other things, so Iíd say traffic here is just as nerve racking as living in a city. Last but not least is the customer service. another thing I detest about South Dakota is itís idea of customer service. I went to a restaurant once and ordered pancakes. I politely asked for no butter. when they brought me my order, my pancakes had a ton of butter . I politely reminded the waitress I had asked for no butter. after mumbling under her breath she disappeared in the back somewhere. about 15 minutes later she returned with the same plate of pancakes only this time she had cut a hole around the center of my food where the butter had been. then asked me if it was ok if she just cut a hole in the middle of my food. the work ethic out here is so different than in Texas. South Dakota is lazy! Stay in Texas! Donít get me wrong if you want to give up a decent blood pressure come on down! Sioux falls needs more people with common sense. Seems we are always recruiting! but before you move consider coming what Iíve said. I here Minneapolis is nice. unfortunately South Dakotans never fail to astonish me with their stupidity. I regret moving here.

Ive lived in many different places because of my spouse's job. This has to be the worst place second only to Whidbey Island Washington! I hate to say it but I moved here two months ago from Ft. Worth and I totally agree with what HateSouthDakota said. I too have had people forget my order or take it to the wrong person five times in the short time Ive lived here. Jobs are very hard to find. If I didnt have to live here because of my spouse's job Id RUN back to TX!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,223,636 times
Yes, there are some places in Sioux Falls that have poor service, but there are many others that have good service. I normally have good service and most of the waiters and store help are helpful and pleasant. I usually avoid restaurants and stores where I had poor service and stick with the ones that treat me right. There are many other opportunities other than telemarketing. There are a lot of jobs in construction, hospitals, banks (non-call center places), meat-packing plant, and white collar work. Yes, there is competition from graduates. If there was a lack of opportunity here, then why are the graduates coming? I had a little difficulty finding my first job out of school in Sioux Falls. But with experience and a little bit of patience, I was able to find something that works well. Sioux Falls is not for everyone, but is well-liked by many.

A pessimistic mind can find many faults, but I choose to find the positive in place and things. Even if I am not too happy with a particular place or thing.

My main complaint in Sioux Falls is traffic (lack of understanding of traffic flow) and the occasional bad service (by someone who is unpleasant or just had a bad day), but one can get bad service anywhere. This can include Texas and many other places.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 PM

The unemployment rate in Sx. Falls is in the area of 2% so I don't understand the part about there being no jobs there or having so much competition for employment.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:39 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,230,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klindshill View Post
Ive lived in many different places because of my spouse's job. This has to be the worst place second only to Whidbey Island Washington! I hate to say it but I moved here two months ago from Ft. Worth and I totally agree with what HateSouthDakota said. I too have had people forget my order or take it to the wrong person five times in the short time Ive lived here. Jobs are very hard to find. If I didnt have to live here because of my spouse's job Id RUN back to TX!
Maybe you should just give it time. You've only been here two months so try to be optimistic. Sioux Falls has no traffic, people are friendly, less humidity than Fort Worth, no illegals, the list can go on... Sure, it's probably quite a bit more boring than Fort Worth and you probably miss the selection and excitement a real city has, but I'm sure that if you look hard enough Sioux Falls will grow on you and you'll like it. Give it time.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 AM

191 posts, read 493,995 times
Service at restaurants, etc. can be horrible anywhere you go in the country. Sioux Falls is what you make of it. I definitely won't say it's the perfect place to live, but for my family and I, it's always been an easy place to make a living.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:29 PM

67 posts, read 196,943 times
ok, so to each his own I guess, I know people that love it here in Texas, and I know people that hate it , same as in Sioux Falls . and let me just say the last 2 places I ate
red lobster and ihop , both ended up comping my meals because the service was so bad.
and as for help, I might be able to get help if I spoke spanish, because try to ask someone for help in wal-mart or target, "no Habla english". or sit in traffic for 45 mins to go 19 miles at 9am. and then see how happy you can be, but hey, it's not all bad and people do like it . just not for me . here are a few statistics that matter me.
Unemployment in South Dakota: 2.7
Unemployment in Texas: 4.4%
Races in Sioux Falls:White Non-Hispanic (90.9%) Hispanic (2.5%)
Races in Fort Worth:White Non-Hispanic (45.8%) Hispanic (29.8%)
SD-travel time to work: 15.7 minutes
FT W-travel time to work: 24.6 minutes

Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 PM

If those are the things that are important to you, that's what counts. I'd be surprised if most people even commute to work that long if they live in the town they work in. It takes me 8 minutes from the time I leave my house until I punch in and that's if I hit red lights. Of course, I don't live in Sx. Falls either.

I've actually done some reading on the Ft. Worth forum and I also check out Dallas. I had been covering for absences and thought I may as well get some info for myself. I'm searching for warmth. The Fort Worth area is actually lower in crime then many areas down that way. I was curious so I checked what CD says~

National average~323

Ft. Worth~480

Sx. Falls~245

So lower crime is another big plus.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 AM

67 posts, read 196,943 times
Another good point, I didn't even bring that up, check out the gang activity in Ft Worth
the street gangs are abundant known to be very violent

Old 08-27-2008, 03:53 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,874,707 times
Default ...

Always keep in mind fellas that every place have things to improve on..

Remember the good things too, and Sioux Falls qualifies by most/all major ranking systems as near the top for best cities to live in..

Don't forget to weigh the pro's too, a lot of times the pro's not only overshadow the cons but eliminate it as a non-factor..

Also, with that said, nobody claims that any place is perfect and those publishers almost always weigh the bad with the good and Sioux Falls almost/always finishes at near the top of the lists..

Last edited by ehenningsen; 08-27-2008 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls