U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,234 times
Default Should we relocate to Sioux Falls SD?

We are a young couple and are considering a relocation for a job offer in Sioux Falls. Having lived in Michigan all our lives we know nothing about SD...could some of you give us some ideas as to what the night life is like, how is the housing market, what is the diversity and tollerance level in Sioux falls, is it really as boring as most people say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 AM

1,633 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babypuma View Post
We are a young couple and are considering a relocation for a job offer in Sioux Falls. Having lived in Michigan all our lives we know nothing about SD...could some of you give us some ideas as to what the night life is like, how is the housing market, what is the diversity and tollerance level in Sioux falls, is it really as boring as most people say?
Nothing boring about the night life in Sioux Falls. It has grown into a very modern urban city. Plenty of clubs along with a vibrant downtown primarily in the summer with sidewalk cafe's and bars, several with live music. SF is not a hot spot for national artists however, with the exception of Washington Pavillion. It also lacks as to top flight sports. The two major universities are not located in Sioux Falls. Both USD and SDSU are approx 60 miles away. There are 2 Division II private colleges located in Sioux Falls. Augustana and the U. of Sioux Falls.

Plenty of parks along with an exceptional regional zoo.

The housing market has not dipped unlike Michigan and a large segment of the rest of the nation. This is good news to current residents, but probably not great news for people moving in to buy a home. I think houses are still quite reasonably priced.

Sioux Falls has changed ethnically a great deal in the last 10 years. Acceptance ranges a great deal. It doesn't help that an unbalanced large percentage of the crimes of a violent nature are being committed by black and latino people. A small minority of a certain group can do tremendous damage to the local people's opinion of a group.

In most all parts of Sioux Falls your kids can still play outside safely. It is all in all a very safe community compared to other cities of over 150,000. It's only as boring as you make it. The police still spend more time looking for speeders than drug dealers and gang activities. This isn't saying they're not tough on it. Any hint of gang activity will bring them cracking down.

Most all other communities in eastern South Dakota, no matter the size, have a small town feel. This is not a slight. It is their charm. If you want to really feel part of something, I would consider checking out small town living be it a town the size of Brookings (Population approx 22,000) or Alcester (Population appox. 700-800).

Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 AM

3,258 posts, read 5,664,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babypuma View Post
"Boring" is a subjective word IMO. One persons boring is anothers peaceful. Sioux Falls has a lot to offer, depending on what you're in to. Also, it's within 3 or 4 hours of some larger cities such as Minneapolis or Omaha if you need a road trip. One thing I will tell you from when my brothers kids were in school there, is that there are gangs.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
"Boring" is a subjective word IMO. One persons boring is anothers peaceful. Sioux Falls has a lot to offer, depending on what you're in to. Also, it's within 3 or 4 hours of some larger cities such as Minneapolis or Omaha if you need a road trip. One thing I will tell you from when my brothers kids were in school there, is that there are gangs.
Yes, there is always some groups forming and calling themselves gangs. The police force work extremely hard to make sure that major gangs do not get a foothold here. They are for the most part, far more successful than other cities.

It is a quite short commute to Omaha (175 miles) and Minneapolis-St. Paul (230 miles). Interstate all the way.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 AM

18,611 posts, read 14,204,171 times
There is always something going on in Sioux Falls. It is a good family town. If you have a job lined up and can locate housing, it might be a good thing.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:23 PM

3,258 posts, read 5,664,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Yes, there is always some groups forming and calling themselves gangs. The police force work extremely hard to make sure that major gangs do not get a foothold here. They are for the most part, far more successful than other cities.

It is a quite short commute to Omaha (175 miles) and Minneapolis-St. Paul (230 miles). Interstate all the way.
I do agree with you, however for as large of a place that I live in now, they are relatively non-existent in the schools because it isn't tolerated. Bullying around here will get a person expelled. Sorry to interject, I know the thread isn't about gangs.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:50 PM

29 posts, read 21,118 times
Default Sioux Falls Relocation

Relocation. It's a scary facet for anyone, and moving to Sioux Falls is a tough call. Know thyself is a phrase that truly comes into play here.

Culture Stereotype:

This is a key factor that is much more important here than in other city relocations. It's population has doubled in the past 30 years. While the introduction of new minority groups may grab the headlines, most of the new influx are whites from smaller towns in the state. I grew up in one such small town. Things are simple in terms of right/wrong and black/white. But underneath the seemingly simple stereotype lies a good, but sometimes overly rigid culture about what is acceptable. This is reinforced by so much of the population coming from a similar background that is quite different from othre parts of the country. Disrupt this culture at your peril of being ostracized, which can limit career opportunities, which has a downward spiral that can end in gangs. On top of this, you do have an element of a "Nativist" population group that can cause problems for an ambitious newcomer (white or otherwise).

The Culture Expansion Opportunity
The good news/bad news is that Sioux Falls is growing quickly, and the culture norms are proving too loose for a growing city. Thus the city is in a state of flux about how it should model itself. There's growing leniency on things, but some of the new influences are unwelcome, which respawns a bit of defensive posturing from time to time. I think eventually people will realize it's not "my culture or the highway" and eventually see the value of other cultures once different groups have had a generation to harvest some success.

The Great
Assuming you've not made some significant cultural gaffe (it's hard to know) people are very very friendly in South Dakota. Once you meet with someone a couple of times, you're friends for life and it's a great place to make wholesome relationships. Avoid the low prices and pay for a good neighborhood. Most of the population is very casual but sincere. Work hard with integrity, take care of families and neighbors (after gossiping about them), believe in God and enjoy good clean fun recreation.

The Bad
The city has stripped the country roots and ethics of some. You'll see people who do little besides drink and gamble. They have little going on. If you like nice nightlife, clubs, lounges and sophistication, this is not your town. Utility still trumps style and cheap booze can't pay for much swank so be ready to settle down and raise a family. I'd also say the average Sioux Falls person has a high amount of common sense, but too high of an intelligence can get you grilled as elitist. Foodies will be amazed by the massive amount of food restaurants....and even moreso as to why so many are chain food restaurants.

The last point

Sioux Falls is the "big city" that is having unique growing pains, in my opinion, as the homogenous culture and natives in control of things have made a remarkable show of limiting the influences that may be allowed to shape the city and very determined to create a new wheel. It sprawls like a suburb, and most of the city feels like a suburb. If you like the suburbs, I'd move there. If you are looking to start a business, I'd move there.

If you're looking for a very safe, quiet (and IMO quite fulfilling) and sane lifestyle, try one of the smaller surrounding towns. The schools are generally very good. Relative crime is nonexistent and you're going to love the taxes. The culture fit is even harder there, but if you don't come across as an overly sophisticated "cityfolk" and can muster the strength to truly trust people much sooner than you would in other cities, you will likely enjoy yourself quite a bit. (unless the economic incentive to move goes away, and you'll likely find it was the only "x" position in town.) It may seem like there's plenty of time to watch paint dry, until you realize the ammenities you walked to back home you will need to do for yourself because there is no provider. Great for self-fullfilment people.

If you want the city. The unique foods, arts and entertainment. The fast pace. The mystery of the newest offerings etc....forget it. It's not here. Sioux Falls knows what it likes and most have every intention of staying that way. Love it or leave it.

Everything else you can read about. Schools are good. Economy is very stable and basically always growing slowly. Taxes are fine but will be perpetually complained about. People are friendly and proud. It's clean and I often wish I could buy just a minute of that great air blowing over the windswept hills. It gets cold, but so does MI. It's a great place in real life and on paper. But honestly, if you've never been here, visit and see. It's good, but rigid. I'd compare it more to UP-ish Traverse City than to a Flint, Ann Arbor or Detroit area. If it fits, welcome home, but it's hell if it doesn't.

So I'm sure I ruffled a few feathers as well, let me have it. Also, if I come back home toting my lovely wife of Viet decent will you all have a cow? (Realize most Vietnamese here were on our side....)

Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Relocation. It's a scary facet for anyone, and moving to Sioux Falls is a tough call. Know thyself is a phrase that truly comes into play here.

Culture Stereotype:

This is a key factor that is much more important here than in other city relocations. It's population has doubled in the past 30 years. While the introduction of new minority groups may grab the headlines, most of the new influx are whites from smaller towns in the state. I grew up in one such small town. Things are simple in terms of right/wrong and black/white. But underneath the seemingly simple stereotype lies a good, but sometimes overly rigid culture about what is acceptable. This is reinforced by so much of the population coming from a similar background that is quite different from othre parts of the country. Disrupt this culture at your peril of being ostracized, which can limit career opportunities, which has a downward spiral that can end in gangs. On top of this, you do have an element of a "Nativist" population group that can cause problems for an ambitious newcomer (white or otherwise).

The Culture Expansion Opportunity
The good news/bad news is that Sioux Falls is growing quickly, and the culture norms are proving too loose for a growing city. Thus the city is in a state of flux about how it should model itself. There's growing leniency on things, but some of the new influences are unwelcome, which respawns a bit of defensive posturing from time to time. I think eventually people will realize it's not "my culture or the highway" and eventually see the value of other cultures once different groups have had a generation to harvest some success.

The Great
Assuming you've not made some significant cultural gaffe (it's hard to know) people are very very friendly in South Dakota. Once you meet with someone a couple of times, you're friends for life and it's a great place to make wholesome relationships. Avoid the low prices and pay for a good neighborhood. Most of the population is very casual but sincere. Work hard with integrity, take care of families and neighbors (after gossiping about them), believe in God and enjoy good clean fun recreation.

The Bad
The city has stripped the country roots and ethics of some. You'll see people who do little besides drink and gamble. They have little going on. If you like nice nightlife, clubs, lounges and sophistication, this is not your town. Utility still trumps style and cheap booze can't pay for much swank so be ready to settle down and raise a family. I'd also say the average Sioux Falls person has a high amount of common sense, but too high of an intelligence can get you grilled as elitist. Foodies will be amazed by the massive amount of food restaurants....and even moreso as to why so many are chain food restaurants.

The last point

Sioux Falls is the "big city" that is having unique growing pains, in my opinion, as the homogenous culture and natives in control of things have made a remarkable show of limiting the influences that may be allowed to shape the city and very determined to create a new wheel. It sprawls like a suburb, and most of the city feels like a suburb. If you like the suburbs, I'd move there. If you are looking to start a business, I'd move there.

If you're looking for a very safe, quiet (and IMO quite fulfilling) and sane lifestyle, try one of the smaller surrounding towns. The schools are generally very good. Relative crime is nonexistent and you're going to love the taxes. The culture fit is even harder there, but if you don't come across as an overly sophisticated "cityfolk" and can muster the strength to truly trust people much sooner than you would in other cities, you will likely enjoy yourself quite a bit. (unless the economic incentive to move goes away, and you'll likely find it was the only "x" position in town.) It may seem like there's plenty of time to watch paint dry, until you realize the ammenities you walked to back home you will need to do for yourself because there is no provider. Great for self-fullfilment people.

If you want the city. The unique foods, arts and entertainment. The fast pace. The mystery of the newest offerings etc....forget it. It's not here. Sioux Falls knows what it likes and most have every intention of staying that way. Love it or leave it.

Everything else you can read about. Schools are good. Economy is very stable and basically always growing slowly. Taxes are fine but will be perpetually complained about. People are friendly and proud. It's clean and I often wish I could buy just a minute of that great air blowing over the windswept hills. It gets cold, but so does MI. It's a great place in real life and on paper. But honestly, if you've never been here, visit and see. It's good, but rigid. I'd compare it more to UP-ish Traverse City than to a Flint, Ann Arbor or Detroit area. If it fits, welcome home, but it's hell if it doesn't.

So I'm sure I ruffled a few feathers as well, let me have it. Also, if I come back home toting my lovely wife of Viet decent will you all have a cow? (Realize most Vietnamese here were on our side....)
GREAT POST!!!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:11 PM

6 posts, read 11,469 times
Is South Dakota considered to be a "liberal" state. By that, I mean, is there a presence of politicans and activists that push a liberal social agenda using tax payers dollars, to set up extravant, too generous social programs. I live in Minnesota and feel we have gone overboard with being too generous with social programs and now, are not only in huge debt, we have people who have poor work ethics and contribute nothing. We have also have a lot of crime.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 AM

5,992 posts, read 6,945,530 times
Hi! I'm also originally from Michigan (Kalamazoo) and now I live in a small town northeast of Sioux Falls, and I spend a lot of time in that city. I was going to make a long post on this topic, but artillery77 covered pretty much everything I was going to say. What I will talk about is the culture shock that I experienced coming from Michigan, and my personal opinions of the area.

A little background on me: I'm a single, childfree (meaning I don't want kids -- EVER), politically progressive guy in my mid-20s. I moved to the area to take a job with a company in a small college town in Southwest Minnesota (near Sioux Falls). Being from Kalamazoo and having lived in Three Rivers and Niles, I was more than used to small-town and college-town life (in fact, I prefer it to the "big city"), so I thought the move would be no big deal. How wrong I was.

When I first moved to the town (during the winter), I was struck by how beautiful the area was. The flat prairie stretched on for miles, interspersed by areas of rolling hills and small lakes. The sky was huge and the sunsets were beautiful, especially against the snow-covered ground. The town itself seemed nice, full of friendly people and historic architecture. However, after living there a few months, my perspective changed.

First of all, it's hard to make friends here. People are friendly on the surface, but they will rarely take time to get to know you. They'll say hello, make a little small talk, but that's as far as it goes. They have friends that they've known since grade school, and their social circles won't have any room for you. Out of the few people I've made connections with here, almost all of them are originally from somewhere else.

Since you mentioned diversity: I'm of multiracial descent, so I'll share a little bit of my experience. First off, you don't have to worry about seeing other people of color -- we're all over the place around here. My little town is 21% minority, and has significant African-American, Hispanic, African (mostly Somali, Kenyan and Sudanese) and Asian populations. Sioux Falls itself also has a significant minority population, including plenty of African-Americans and Sudanese. You won't stand out here for your race. Being "outsiders" from Michigan and/or your lifestyle/interests will almost certainly cause you problems, however. People from this part of the country are very conservative and conventional. That's the best way I can describe it. They tend to be rather closed-minded and wary of other cultures and different perspectives. People here live a very traditional lifestyle: they graduate from high school (or college), get married and have kids. Almost everyone over the age of 25 is married and has children, and a good portion of people aged 18-24 are married with kids. Seriously. If you don't have/want kids, you will feel out of place.

Like artillery77 said, whether or not you'll like Sioux Falls is entirely determined by what type of personality you have. If you're the type of people who dress conventionally, vote Republican and drive minivans or pickup trucks, you'll love Sioux Falls. If you think American life was best in the 1940s and 1950s, you'll love Sioux Falls. If you like deer hunting, fishing, high-school sports and NASCAR, you'll like Sioux Falls. If your life's dream includes settling down, getting married, buying a suburban house and having at least four kids -- all before the age of 28 -- you'll LOVE Sioux Falls.

However, if you vote Democrat or Green, don't want kids, enjoy dining and nightlife, like concerts, eat at ethnic restaurants and enjoy plays or philosophical debates, living in Sioux Falls will be a very painful experience. You will dream of going back to Michigan. You will invent excuses to go home. You will take weekend trips to Omaha, Des Moines or Minneapolis "just to get away." You'll probably end up moving back to Michigan (or to another locale) within a few years.

I'm not trying to knock Sioux Falls, it's a great place for some people. I'm just trying to explain it's not for everyone and will be a HUGE culture shock for you coming from Michigan. For me, I know the occasional trip home is the only thing that keeps me sane. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by northstar22; 06-06-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls