U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:43 PM

34 posts, read 33,996 times
Default Sioux Falls - USGS?

Hi there,

I am trying to find apartments/housing located around the USGS center in Sioux Falls. I'm not familiar with the geography, so I'd appreciate anyone's help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM

506 posts, read 515,196 times
Do you mean EROS? If so, there isn't much nearby.

USGS/EROS -Home

Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM

18,314 posts, read 13,835,205 times
If it is EROS Brandon, Garretson or Sioux Falls are all close. Brandon is somewhat spendy but really a nice town. Sioux Falls is ok.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Yes, EROS. Looks like nothing is very close by.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle00 View Post
Yes, EROS. Looks like nothing is very close by.
You are going to have a bit of commute. Sioux Falls hardly has a traffic issue like big cities.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
You are going to have a bit of commute. Sioux Falls hardly has a traffic issue like big cities.
Thanks. I'd prefer to live in Sioux Falls because of the school system there. Any idea where the best area would be to live that has the least worst commute to EROS?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle00 View Post
Thanks. I'd prefer to live in Sioux Falls because of the school system there. Any idea where the best area would be to live that has the least worst commute to EROS?
I will leave that up the Sioux Falls posters. It might be worth your while to give the Brandon School a good look at too.

I am a western SD citizen and I have a 40 mile round trip to and from work.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I will leave that up the Sioux Falls posters. It might be worth your while to give the Brandon School a good look at too.

I am a western SD citizen and I have a 40 mile round trip to and from work.
Thanks, I know how that is. I had an 80 mile round trip drive to and from work when we lived in Maine.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:05 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,972,566 times
I would definitely look to moving to either Garretson, Baltic, or Dell Rapids if you are looking for the easiest commute to EROS AND are looking for more economical rents with a decent school district. I'm stating this as a person who favors smaller school districts and towns for raising children. These 3 communities are closer to EROS than Brandon and have a much smaller size school.

Your kids will have more opportunities to be involved in multiple activities than they would have at Brandon-Valley or the Sioux Falls schools. I'm a Dell Rapids alum. so I'm a little more biased towards this community than the others. It's a town of over 3,000 people with two K-12 schools, Dell Rapids Public and Dell Rapids St. Marys (Catholic School).

Baltic and Garretson are quite a bit smaller with an approx. population of 1,000 to 1,500 for both communities. They are nice communities with very friendly people, but I'm sure most of these people wished that they were living in Dell Rapids. You'll have to do your own survey to confirm this.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I would definitely look to moving to either Garretson, Baltic, or Dell Rapids if you are looking for the easiest commute to EROS AND are looking for more economical rents with a decent school district. I'm stating this as a person who favors smaller school districts and towns for raising children. These 3 communities are closer to EROS than Brandon and have a much smaller size school.

Your kids will have more opportunities to be involved in multiple activities than they would have at Brandon-Valley or the Sioux Falls schools. I'm a Dell Rapids alum. so I'm a little more biased towards this community than the others. It's a town of over 3,000 people with two K-12 schools, Dell Rapids Public and Dell Rapids St. Marys (Catholic School).

Baltic and Garretson are quite a bit smaller with an approx. population of 1,000 to 1,500 for both communities. They are nice communities with very friendly people, but I'm sure most of these people wished that they were living in Dell Rapids. You'll have to do your own survey to confirm this.
Thank you for the great advice! My son isn't involved in sports at all. He's a computer geek. I see that Sioux Falls has a school for gifted children, so I'd like to get him into that. I guess I'm trying to figure out where in Sioux Falls I need to live that would make the commute the easiest. Thanks again!

Edited to add: Or if it's all the same, I'd be looking for an up and coming area, new construction, young families, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls