U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 PM

425 posts, read 290,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makffr15 View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to Sioux Falls from Des Moines IA. I would be attending SDSU and my wife would be attending The Stewart School in Sioux Falls. We have a couple of questions about the area:

How is it as far as finding work. As we will both be in school, we are not looking for careers yet, just jobs to pay the bills.

Is it hard to find reasonable apartments in the Sioux Falls area?

We are both relatively young, I am 23 and my wife is 21. We are not into the party scene, we more prefer film and art to hitting the bars. Is this something we will be able to find in the area?

Also, would we be better off just moving to Brookings?

Sorry for all the questions, but look forward to the answers! Thanks for all the help! It is greatly appreciated!
To follow Elk Hunter's lead and try to help. If you have good work histories you should be able to find jobs. It is relatively inexpensive so you can make it work on salaries that you could earn without college degrees. Unemployment is low (about 4.5%). The Washington Pavilion is a treasure and it has art galleries, concerts, and movie premieres. Brookings is an okay college town, but more opportunities are available in Sioux Falls. It is about 50 miles to Brookings (completely on I-29) and once you get onto the Prairie Couteau (around exit 109), winter driving can be especially nasty. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,139,201 times
Offensive my butt. It's reality in most cases since our winter conditions can be very rough and you can easily find yourself stranded on the interstate driving the 60 miles to Brookings. Our ground blizzards here in most winters are a lot more dangerous than what you will see in Des Moines, Cleveland, and especially California. I'm assuming that the OP is a man who considers the well being of his wife. You libs are so quick to get offended about anything that may be a traditional way of thinking whether it makes sense or it doesn't.

Yep, maybe they can move to Brookings and his wife can look for online classes in hairstyling and beauty care to avoid her daily 120 mile round trip commute.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,245 times
Thanks for all the responses!

Also was wondering the kind of restaurant/grocery store choices for my wife and I. She is a vegetarian and I am a vegan.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:15 PM

Pomegranate Market on Louise Ave near 57th would be a good choice. It is a new health food store that would probably fit your culinary needs. It can be pricey, however. Hyvee is a chain that would probably fit your needs as well. There are several in Sioux Falls and one in Brookings.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 PM

Forgot the restaurant piece. Sanah's is a middle eastern cuisine restaurant that serves both vegan and vegetarian options. There are other Sioux Falls restaurants where you could certainly find vegetarian options for sure. The K, Brassiere Bros, even Quedoba (sp). Even in Brookings there is the Cottonwood Coffee and the Cottonwood Bistro that serve veggie food.

But it is South Dakota, so beef is king!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls