Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,561 times

Advertisements

If you're looking for a cheap place to live, Sioux falls isn't too bad. Otherwise, it's a tough call. Economically, it's not the strongest place to live. If you run into trouble in the banking industry or get fired from WF, it's tough to find a similar job here. Forget about labor rights; South Dakota basically has none so to speak. As far as rents go, anything below $600 is going to be either a 1 bedroom or in a rougher area of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM

10 posts, read 17,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
850 will be no problem. I rent for $515 in Brookings (while making over $19) which has a bit of a scarcity in housing and apartments still. Sioux Falls should be no problem in that price range. 850 would damn near get you the top of the line, just built last year, with health club and hot tubs, pool, underground parking, etc. here in this town... that or a house. I don't really feel like coughing up the dough for that, and the snap fitness is only 2 blocks away for jogging and weights.. and the people around me are quiet.. I don't want to rock the boat, gamble, and get loud neighbors.

Never been a bar/club person so I can't help you there. Sioux Falls is easy to navigate for the most part, so you can live pretty much anywhere in the city and not have a long commute.

Most of Sioux Falls growth has been due to banking, because of the lax usury laws combined with a business friendly climate, so if you're into banking, Sioux Falls is definitely a good choice, though I'd prefer Rapid City for climate and the hills.
WOW .. $515!!! How far is Brookings? That is a hell of a deal .. If I do end up moving to SD.. I may not know how to handle it. Before I moved to Dallas, I mostly lived in the DC area and paid 1300 for a 1 bdroom that was 650sq ft.. I cannot imagine paying even 600 for a place, that is nuts

I have a 2nd interview with Wells next week.. so I am anticipating the outcome .. my only other concern with relocating here is the culture .. are there different ethnic groups around or majority white? I was born and raised in the US, but my family is Lebanese.. so just wondering if this is like nice-friendly-small town america, or the other end of the spectrum.

Again.. thanks guys!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
If you're looking for a cheap place to live, Sioux falls isn't too bad. Otherwise, it's a tough call. Economically, it's not the strongest place to live. If you run into trouble in the banking industry or get fired from WF, it's tough to find a similar job here. Forget about labor rights; South Dakota basically has none so to speak. As far as rents go, anything below $600 is going to be either a 1 bedroom or in a rougher area of town.
Thank you for this.. you make a really good point that I didnt think about much to be honest. In doing my research it seems WF is the biggest company there in regards to banking.. if it doesnt work out, then Im stuck in SD. lol .. I am in the market for a 1bdroom, since it is just me. Decisions.. Decisions..

Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 PM

34 posts, read 71,748 times
tamz, despite the "labor" laws or lack of them here, we have a low unemployment rate and most employers seem to be honest. I lived and worked in the northeast a few years ago and it was less so, there.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 PM

thanks Southernbelle

I just read another thread posted by someone else asking about interracial couples being accepted etc etc .. and I see that there were some comments regarding only having a problem if your arab .. which I am. lol
I am extremely in tune with my culture, however I was born and raised in the US and look like the "norm" .. most ppl think Im italian or greek .. anyways.. since your from the east coast so Im sure you get what I mean about being used to more culture and so forth ... Am i going to find that anywhere in SF? From what I am reading it seems I may be better off in downtown SF ..

so many questions, so little time!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:26 PM

34 posts, read 71,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamz28 View Post
thanks Southernbelle

I just read another thread posted by someone else asking about interracial couples being accepted etc etc .. and I see that there were some comments regarding only having a problem if your arab .. which I am. lol
I am extremely in tune with my culture, however I was born and raised in the US and look like the "norm" .. most ppl think Im italian or greek .. anyways.. since your from the east coast so Im sure you get what I mean about being used to more culture and so forth ... Am i going to find that anywhere in SF? From what I am reading it seems I may be better off in downtown SF ..

so many questions, so little time!
Wow, someone said you'd only have a problem if you're Arab? Uhh wow. Sorry about that. I haven't encountered anyone like that here but leave it to the interwebs to uncover them.

Sioux Falls, I think, is a big enough place that they're 'over' it, kwim?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,504 times
I've lived all around the US (was born in Penn.! ) am currently living in the area around Fargo, and it's unbelievably diversified culture up here, more than I'm used to, but I think it adds 'texture' to the lifestyle. In my experience, the midwest (and northern midwest) are quite welcoming of cultures other than the predominant variety, so long as one doesn't disrespect their values and cultural standards.

And I have to say, the color of our hide has nothing to do with our character... I've seen the best and the worst of human behavior covered with skin of every shade. It's all about respecting one another, and embracing our uniqueness as God made us.

Don't let that hinder you!
Best wishes!!

BTW, the reason I'm on this site is that I too am considering a move to SD to base a CDL licensing from... right now I'm leaning toward the RC area... yes, 'decisions'...! ... prayer definitely helps for me!

Old 01-25-2012, 03:41 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I've made mention of being hassled if you're arab... there are people who are not over it, I know a number of them, which is why I make that statement. Especially if you dress like they are typically portrayed by the media with the clothing and the beards. You underestimate the emotional impact of that staged event.. it's up there with world war 2/holocaust now in the emotional reaction it causes in some people. It's part of the 'historybooks' .. history being written by the victors.. always question your history.

Brookings is 50 miles north of Sioux Falls. I wouldn't honestly recommend starting over in this area if you are single. Try somewhere warmer and more scenic first and pick SE South Dakota or eastern North Dakota as last ditch alternatives. Try Rapid City first, or Denver, CO, or the pacific northwest.... Washington and Oregon. Madison, WI.. the Twin Cities, MN.. anywhere but here just for things to do, and terrain, climate.... if you can't find work in these places, there's nothing wrong with Sioux Falls. There are just better choices if you have the job skills that are in demand.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamz28 View Post
Thank you for this.. you make a really good point that I didnt think about much to be honest. In doing my research it seems WF is the biggest company there in regards to banking.. if it doesnt work out, then Im stuck in SD. lol .. I am in the market for a 1bdroom, since it is just me. Decisions.. Decisions..
I would ignore that poster. Sioux Falls has several "banks" that employ 1000's of people. The banking laws in South Dakota are very favorable so many banks, mortgage companies, credit cards companies and other finance firms have offices in Sioux Falls. Citibank is one of the town's largest employers. Unemployment rate in Sioux Falls is about 3%. It's a great town. As for that particular WF job, it sounds like a teller job based on the salary. For someone with several years of experience in the industry I think you could do better than that in Sioux Falls.

$30K for someone with basically no debt/single person is doable. You won't be living the high life but you will have enough to get by. Temp staffing firms are paying $25-27K/year for call center jobs there, just for reference. I did a quick search on Careerbuilder and there were 43 positions in "banking" listed. Many of the companies there, though, don't use Careerbuilder and have their own job sites so look on those as well.

Here is one listing for a personal banker Find Jobs - Personal Banker Jobs in Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Great Western Bank that might be of interest. Chances are this job pays more than $30K too.

The weather in Sioux Falls is pretty mild for a northern state. You will see snow, etc. but you won't get the bitter cold you see in other parts of the area, or at least not as much. We lived in Sioux Falls for a couple years and I would move back in a heartbeat.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 PM

4,862 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would ignore that poster. Sioux Falls has several "banks" that employ 1000's of people. The banking laws in South Dakota are very favorable so many banks, mortgage companies, credit cards companies and other finance firms have offices in Sioux Falls. Citibank is one of the town's largest employers. Unemployment rate in Sioux Falls is about 3%. It's a great town. As for that particular WF job, it sounds like a teller job based on the salary. For someone with several years of experience in the industry I think you could do better than that in Sioux Falls.

$30K for someone with basically no debt/single person is doable. You won't be living the high life but you will have enough to get by. Temp staffing firms are paying $25-27K/year for call center jobs there, just for reference. I did a quick search on Careerbuilder and there were 43 positions in "banking" listed. Many of the companies there, though, don't use Careerbuilder and have their own job sites so look on those as well.

Here is one listing for a personal banker Find Jobs - Personal Banker Jobs in Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Great Western Bank that might be of interest. Chances are this job pays more than $30K too.

The weather in Sioux Falls is pretty mild for a northern state. You will see snow, etc. but you won't get the bitter cold you see in other parts of the area, or at least not as much. We lived in Sioux Falls for a couple years and I would move back in a heartbeat.
If you're starting at $ 30,000 it's not a teller job. They start below that wage. It is definitely a call center job that, as stated, is all over town. Wells Fargo is not the largest credit card bank center in town. It is definitely Citibank. Yes, there are lots of job openings in the credit card field in town if you're somewhat computer literate and have good telephone conversational skills. They actually have quite a few jobs that they may let you work from home also. It's not all roses though. Many of these telephone call jobs are with the automatic dialers where when you finish one call, another is automatically waiting for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls