U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2012, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,067 times
Default Moving to Sioux Falls in a month, have lots of questions.

I have long term goals in my life that I would love to be able to fulfill in Sioux Falls. I have a friend that lives there, and I'll be staying with him until I find my own place.

I'm an artist, I went to college in San Francisco, my main interests are sculpture and wildlife art.

I also want to be a farmer, where I raise endangered and rare heritage breeds of animals and produce.

I'm very much an earth muffin and I'm all about green and sustainable living. I want to build and earthship home eventually. I'm not uber liberal though, mostly just practical. I tend to be more right-leaning, pro second amendment and all that. I'm perfectly capable of getting along with people from each end of the spectrum.

And my third interest, is kids. Mostly older kids and teenagers. I would love to teach art and use my farm as a way of educating and employing the younger generations once I'm older and more experienced.

I'm currently in a situation where I have nothing to lose and nothing holding me here, and I'm looking for that place where I can settle for the rest of my life.

So, I was wondering if I can get some info about the city.

What is the art scene like? I've see photos of the sculptures downtown, I like how they're more traditional and tend to be figurative. Are they all local, or are some of them shipped in from other areas? Are there any good art galleries, studios, and places that offer classes? What about foundries? Is there any focus on street art?

I want to get a membership to the zoo so I can go there a lot and draw the animals. If anyone has any pictures, would you mind posting them? I'm especially interested in the rhinos. I have a soft spot for them :3

Are there any good schools or programs that focus on agriculture and animal husbandry?

Down here where I grew up, garage sales and flea markets are a big deal during the summer. Are they common up there as well?

Oh yeah.. and I'm a total foodie.

Where is the farmers market held at?

Where I live, anything other than beef, pork, or chicken is next to impossible to find. How hard would it be for me to get a hold of venison, bison, antelope, rabbit, mutton or goat?

Is there any place that brews or sells mead? It seems logical that there would be given the large Germanic/Scandinavian population.

Where should I go to try my first chislic? From what I understand, lamb with garlic salt, fried, and served with saltines is the traditional way, so that's what I would prefer.

About housing. I was looking at the area between the Empire mall and Sertoma park. Just based on what I see in google maps, it looks like an ideal area, especially since I don't have a car and I need at least the basic amenities to be within walking or biking distance. I'm shooting for 500$ or under, preferably a 2 bedroom apartment or a really small house. Does that sound realistic? Would it be hard for me to find a place that allows pets around there? I have a cat, and I eventually want fish.

Sorry for the novel here, thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 PM

34 posts, read 31,873 times
I can only answer about the pet thing - there are actually a lot of places that rent to pet owners. We have two dogs and one kitty and have found several decent places that would allow them.

We are moving up there in a couple of months.. so I don't really have answers for your other questions, but just wanted to wish you good luck! And I'd like to send my 8 year old over to your farm sometime if you get one

Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 AM

1,583 posts, read 1,859,433 times
Wow, you're needs are many. I'll take a stab at it.

I'll take your questions in order.

As to art, there's a small but active group involved in painting. There are some galleries in town along with calls for art to be exhibited at large commercial establishments as well as both hospitals and various colleges. My wife is a painter and has exhibited at several places downtown, one of the hospitals, the artist studio at the "horse barn" (now closed), and Colorado Tech. There's a call for art currently by the Governor for exhibiting in Pierre.

As to sculpture downtown, you can contact: Sculpturewalk @ PO Box 1165 in Sioux Falls, SD 57101-1165. The sculptures downtown are both local and from artists throughout the country.

You wouldn't want to miss the Brookings Art Festival. It's huge with every conceivable art exhibited and for sale.

You can find a couple people around that give classes other than the local universities. There aren't a lot of them. Foundaries? No clue. There isn't anything going on in SF as to street art. For the most part, it seems to be looked upon as vandalism. If it's done tastfully on a certain type of building, I think it's cool.

Our zoo is probably the most ideal for painting in the entire midwest since most of the animals can be viewed much closer than at other zoos. I would contact the Great Plains Zoo administrator Elizabeth Whaley first.

You'll have little trouble finding the animals for your future farming endeavor if you can afford them. Several places in the SF area raise Llamas, Alpaccas, Buffalo, Etc. It's awful expensive to get started.

Schools for agriculture and animal husbandry? It's South Dakota State in Brookings first and formost. Brookings is approx 50 miles from Sioux Falls. It's all there as to ag related classes.

Garage sales and flea markets are big here to. Many surrounding towns will have a city wide garage sale once a year. Park your car and walk from garage to garage. There are flea markets and antique stores everywhere as well as consignment stores. Some of the small towns around Sioux Falls have had their main streets turn into one big flea market (Canton especially and Dell Rapids seems to be going that way too).

There are a couple farmers markets that are open several days a week all summer long. Finding fresh vegatables along with farm raised eggs and other goodies are easy.

You mention wanting to find more unusual types of meats. This is a big hunting area. Just mention in passing that you would like to buy some venison or antelope and most people will know someone who'll sell you some from their freezer. Bison and mutton can be picked up at area meet lockers. If they don't have it, they can order some for you.

There are several breweries in the area and could help you with the mead. Wineries have really caught on in this region.

Where to go for chislic? Pick your favorite sports bar. As mentioned on a separate thread, it's mostly beaf around Sioux Falls. Check your meat lockers once again and see if you can get lamb chislic.

Housing for a decent 2 bedroom apartment in the area mentioned will range from slightly under $ 500 to $950 for 2 bedroom duplexes with a garage. Any houses around $ 500 a month you wouldn't want to live in. One small pet is not a huge hindrance as to finding a place to live. I don't believe there would be any restrictions at most apartments as to having smaller fish.

You mentioned your "green" tendancies. More power to you. People in this part of the country believe in live and let live. What we HATE is being told how to live. This isn't California where there's a law against everything, especially if it's conservative. Our tendancies are toward traditional ways. If your way of life is non-traditional in some way, most everyone will respect it. Don't try to force it on the rest of us. You may not like the results.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 PM

146 posts, read 123,277 times
jmgg has fantastic answers.

just some personal opinion, I lived around the mall / sertoma / 49th st and did not like it. $500 two-bedroom apartments will be in the worst complexes and don't sound like like they'd fit you. I just hate big complexes period and prefer duplexes and townhomes.Our bike trails are awesome and there are some big plans to expand around the city so biking has a bright future here. Already you can get around the entire big sioux river area and the central part of town quite quickly. I'd look at duplexes and apartments-in-houses South of downtown or the Augustana/Sanford area. You can ride to the biggest grocery store in town, a Lewis drug, and a Walgreens easily.That would also be close to the zoo. Our public transit is pretty pathetic but you could maybe make it work for you. I always suggest people look at Love My Rental as it has listings not on the big sites and they focus on cheap duplexes and apartments in a little less popular but still good areas.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 AM

193 posts, read 282,182 times
If you love garage sales, you need to check this out:
Welcome to Kingswood Rummage's website
Such a big deal it has it's own website!

Scandinavian: Welcome to Holsen Hus -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls