Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 PM

327 posts, read 594,358 times

Advertisements

So I happen to be contacted by one of the big healthcare centers there and had an over the phone interview. I think it went really well and they said that if they'd like to go further, they'd let me know what they would offer me if they were to hire me, before having me spend the money to fly out there for an in-person interview. (I think it's awesome the company actually would do that for me) I had the interview a couple of weeks ago and still waiting to hear something. HR there said they'd let me know for sure whether or not if they wanted to pursue further with me. So no matter what happens, they'll contact me either way...

Since that interview I ended up having some car issues (not bad issues) but ended up having to pay for these things to get fixed with my moving expenses that I was saving up. So with that happening and if I get the chance to fly out there, my moving money is gone

If the employer calls and does let me know they want to pursue further, what do I tell them? I didn't ask about relocation since it was so early in the process. I'm not going for a higher up kind of position, but I do have a few more years of experience than what they're looking for. Do you think they might offer relocation? Someone mentioned to me that I should ask about relocation and tell them my situation and see if they're willing to pay for relocation and me paying them back for it out of my checks, but I'm just not that type of person to ask for help like that. But I'm not sure what to do. I'd really like the job as I hear it's a good place to work and they treat their employees more like a person, and not a number. But who knows now what will happen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,763 times
Sanford or McKennan?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Since you're talking car issues, and not bad ones, my guess is we're probably dealing with $ 1,500 or less. Not exactly break the bank funds.

If you're applying for a professional position and not just a staff type position (such as ward secretary, maintenance, security, dietary), I would say you would have a better than average chance at getting the hospital to agree to something if they want you. Your odds are better if it's Avera McKennan

Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 PM

327 posts, read 594,358 times
McKennan it is!

But yeah under $1500. It's not for secretary, maintenance or anything like that. More of a behind the scenes type of position. Working on a computer but not like IT or anything like that..lol.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
As an employer I've paid moving expenses for some employees, but I think if one ever asked for an advance because they couldn't afford the move, I'd have passed. It would just sound like you can't manage your finances.

Can you put it on your credit card or get a card you could put it on? I'm not an advocate of credit card "borrowing", but I think it would be better than asking a potentially new employer for an advance.

I know... extenuating circumstances, but it still hints that you don't manage your money, and that would be enough for me to go to job candidate #2.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,763 times
My wife works for McKennan and when we moved here they didnt offer any relocating expenses. I'm not sure they offer many relocation possibilities unless they reallly want you and its an upper level position.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 PM

188 posts, read 938,599 times
My personal experience with both health centers is that if they do not contact you usually within 5-7 business days after they have conducted an interview, they have given the position to someone else. Avera will usually send you an email telling you something, you will hear nothing from Sanford.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 PM

193 posts, read 677,783 times
I know this isn't the most savory of choices, and I'm not sure where you live, but I know a bus ticket from South Dakota to Georgia is $120 one way, and that's quite a ways away.. just a consideration. If you're interested: Jefferson Lines

Best wishes on the job, hope it all works out. In the end, just be honest, they'll respect that the most (show them this page if you have to for proof! haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls