Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 AM

11 posts, read 20,557 times

Advertisements

One of my issues in considering a move to Sioux Falls is the amount of sunshine. I'd like a little less than Oklahoma City, but nothing too dreary, especially in winter. I compared numerous cities with Sioux Falls using wikipedia's mean monthly sunshine hours. I am amazed to find that almost nowhere in the country has less sun than Sioux Falls! All other cities in the region score quite a bit higher- Minneapolis, Des Moines, Omaha. Even SEATTLE shows slightly more sun than Sioux Falls! In fact, the only city i have so far located with less sun is Portland, Or.

Is this incorrect info? If not, whatever is causing this city to be such an aberration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 AM

188 posts, read 938,599 times
It does seem to get dark earlier here in the Winter months in Sioux Falls however in the Spring, Summer, and Fall I noticed nothing different than any other place I've lived, there was a lot of more ice and rain in Seattle when I lived there for 3 years in the 90's

I've only lived here in Sioux Falls for 1 year, the only weather issues I've had living here is the wind. There wasn't a lot of snow this winter and it was pretty mild but the wind is what make it worse on most days.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM

56 posts, read 224,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyw View Post
One of my issues in considering a move to Sioux Falls is the amount of sunshine. I'd like a little less than Oklahoma City, but nothing too dreary, especially in winter. I compared numerous cities with Sioux Falls using wikipedia's mean monthly sunshine hours. I am amazed to find that almost nowhere in the country has less sun than Sioux Falls! All other cities in the region score quite a bit higher- Minneapolis, Des Moines, Omaha. Even SEATTLE shows slightly more sun than Sioux Falls! In fact, the only city i have so far located with less sun is Portland, Or.

Is this incorrect info? If not, whatever is causing this city to be such an aberration?

Interesting, I never noticed. I do question the data though. For example, Minneapolis shows over 350 hours of sunshine in July. That's an average of over 11 hours a day, every day, yet they also average 10 days where precipitation is measured. Possible I suppose, but it would seem to indicate that the only time it is cloudy there is when it's raining. Maybe some of these cities use the "Colorado system" for measuring sun - if the sun shines even for a minute, it's considered one of the over 300 days of sunshine a year there.
Sioux Falls does experience a lot of "partly cloudy" days throughout the year. Lots of high thin clouds overhead that prevent the sun from shining fully through constantly. Now that I think about it, there are a lot of days where it's overcast, but most of those days aren't the dark, dreary type of light you get in say Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls