U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 03:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,352 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm going to be visiting Sioux Falls for around 3 days in September. I was just wondering what fun things there are to do? I'm definitely going to be visiting Falls Park but was hoping to do some other things as well!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,371,041 times
If it's early September when you're here, I recommend that you spend an evening downtown. It bustles, especially on weekends. Lots of neat stores, numerous bars w/menus and a large percent of these serve outside on the sidewalk cutoffs. Live music is played outside in front of several establishments as well as in other places inside. When the weather starts getting colder in the evenings this begins to shut down.

Depending on where you're from and especially if you have kids, I recommend the Great Plains Zoo. I've not heard of any zoo in the country in a city the size of Sioux Falls that compares with it.
It's of course not in the same league as Omaha, St. Louis, Tampa, or San Diego, but is easily on a par or better than zoos in cities 5X the size of Sioux Falls. The zoo has something attached to it that makes it totally unique and that's the Delbridge Museum. This is an unbelievable collection of animals from around the world in life like poses. Most were shot by a local hunter named Henry Brockhouse in the early to middle 1900's. He used to keep part of this collection in two glass enclosures in the hardware store that he owned. The entire collection was purchased and donated to the Great Plains Zoo by the Delbridge family. To imagine that all these animals were in a private collection is amazing.

As a prairie city, large picturesque geographic locations around Sioux Falls are pretty minimal. The Dells of the Sioux River just north of Dell Rapids is pretty cool though. It's like the Wisconsin Dells on a smaller scale. Also, you can swing over from Dells to Garretson to see Devils Gulch. This is a deep crevice over Split Rock Creek that Jesse James was supposed to have jumped (with his horse of course) while trying to evade the posse trailing him after the botched bank robbery in Northfield Minnesota.

There are a couple museums of note. One is the Old Courthouse Museum downtown and another is the Pettegrew museum just a few blocks west of downtown up on the hill. Also, in the same area as the Pettigrew museum is St. Josephs Cathedral. It's a gorgeous structure that just recently had a complete renovation on the inside. I'm unsure of the cost of the renovation, but it took years to complete. It's worth visiting.

Last edited by jmgg; 07-17-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or