U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,999 times

Advertisements

Hello -- We are considering a move to South Dakota (Brookings or Sioux Falls) and are trying to identify good school choices for our daughter (starting seventh grade in fall). She is strong in mathematics, music, and language (Spanish, Mandarin Chinese), and is getting into competitive swimming. We aren't particular about whether the school is private, public, secular or otherwise, as long as it provides a challenging and fulfilling educational environment.

The school question is a major factor in our decision whether or not to make the move, so we would appreciate advice from the Forum.

Thanks ----------- Red
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:19 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,371,041 times
I can't say with any certainty what the best middle school in the public sector is. I CAN say that the worst one just closed last year (Axtell Park). This fall there will be a new middle school way out in the northwest boonies called George McGovern which is a replacement for Axtell Park.

If you're thinking public school, I'd lean towards Patrick Henry or Memorial Middle School.

I think the best bet for a better school environment academically would be Sioux Falls O'Gorman Middle School. It's the private Catholic school in Sioux Falls. Even though it's Catholic, I'm guessing that over 30% of the students are from different faiths. This private school is more accepting to others than the other private school in SF called Sioux Falls Christian. They claim to be non-denominational, but in reality if you're not Dutch or especially not a member of one of the Reformed churches you're in the tiny minority. SF Christian does have a good reputation for academics however.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,999 times
Thanks for the reply, that's helpful.

> Patrick Henry or Memorial Middle School

Yes, I had looked into these so it's good to hear some reinforcement.

I'll check out the Catholic school. We aren't religious so I suppose that's a potential hangup, but I'm definitely ready to explore the options.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or