Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times

Advertisements

No fair! Another SONIC!

I have a cherry limeade next to me as I type!

It sounds like Sioux Falls is getting some nice improvements. I was worried that it may be growing too fast, but when I visited it looked to be very well-kempt and clean. I was kind of amazed at how residences and businesses kind of tie into one another. In Rapid City, I have to drive a good two miles to get out of my neighborhood and into business districts. Must be because of all of the hills and ridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
Well, Sioux Falls is twice as big as Rapid City and the one in Sioux Falls is doing very well. Now you are making me crave a Cherry or Cranberry Limeade for myself. I will have to stop by Sonic when I head into Sioux Falls later this week.

Another fun place to get soft drinks in Sioux Falls would be the newer Kum&Go convenience stores. They have both Pepsi and Coke products and a person can add flavoring such as lemon, strawberry, lime, cherrry, vanilla, and more. I like the Dr. Pepper with cherry or lime and Mt. Dew with lime.

Sioux Falls is getting better at tying residences and businesses together. It is doing so for convenience of people and to not have too many businesses concentrated in one area like 41st Street/Empire Mall. Believe me, that area is a poorly-planned area and was planned in the 1970s and 1980s when Sioux Falls was about half its current size. The area north of 41st Street is newer and is better planned.

The city is still clean and I would like it to stay that way. I am sure that it will if the city stays on top of things and not allow neighborhoods to just rot away. The city has been plucking out slummy houses west of downtown and is pushing to clean up its declining neighborhoods before they get blighted and turn into ghettos as that have in other cities.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
you could say omaha and sioux falls are like brothers because of their growth rates. i really hope sioux falls thrives more than des moines ( des moines people really annoy me and they think they are practically the best city in the midwest ) but ya good luck sioux falls i hope they do get that 20 story tower it would help them because sioux city overshadows sioux falls with its small tower in downtown. sioux falls has become my second favorite city after omaha because i live in omaha but once again. GO SIOUX FALLS!!!!

and they are similiar to

Last edited by Jammie; 01-24-2008 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 PM

anyone like this forum anymore?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
anyone like this forum anymore?
Um, I do. What do you mean?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 PM

no ones really posting on it and i meant to say thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 PM

It is an interesting thread and Go Ne adds an interesting perspective to a South Dakota thread. I find the comparison between Des Moines and Omaha people being interesting. I like both cities and may lean towards Des Moines.

The way that Sioux Falls is growing and it population levels is putting it into a league with Omaha and Des Moines as opposed to that of Sioux City, Cedar Rapids, and Rochester. MN. I would like to see Sioux Falls get a high-callibur facility similar to the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines and the Qwest Center in the Omaha area. An events center is in the planning stages. I hope that, for as much money it will cost, it is done right.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:39 PM

59 posts, read 194,766 times
If it weren't for SF where would we be????

Most of the population growth in SD has been there. Our small towns are dying but then we send our young people to SF to find work. Many of our young people however (more than end up in SF) leave the state. Since it appeared as the "greatest city in America" some years back SF has seen rapid growth from people coming into SD as well as many immigrants from all over the world.

SF is no longer the "little Scandinavian town of the prairie" it was when I was growing up. It is becoming very diverse.

However, many of us out in "the hinterlands" feel that SF exerts way too much influence over the state. After all, one in every six South Dakotans lives over there.

The biggest issue facing SF that I can see is the water situation. They are screaming for water from the MO River. We're all suppose to bend over backwards to see to it they get it. Why? So they can sprinkle their lawns, wash their cars, and let the hoses run and the water run in the gutters and down the storm drains?

That's the one thing that ticks me off about SF. That and they are forgetting who they are and trying to become a "Little Minneapolis" Give me a break, why would you want to be like the snobs in the cities?

I wish SF would be content to be part of our state and not act like they want to be annexed by Minnesota. I also wish they would learn to live frugally with their water like we in the country have had to all our lives. There is no overabundance of water in SD.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 PM

I agree with egg man's prior post on people in Sioux Falls using water more frugally. I see it as nonsense that people are watering their lawns constantly and during the day (instead of evening or morning when it is cooler and more effective, using less water in the long run). Businesses are some of the biggest offenders.

I think Sioux Falls should still have a right to use Missouri River water and it is planning ahead and it is not trying to be like Minneapolis and does not have the arrogant attitude perceived in the prior post. There is still going to plenty of water in the Missouri and the pessimism is used to scare people uncessarily.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM

That is always an issue with growing cities. Here where I live, people keep building further into the Black Hills. That's fine, but there is one small problem... there's no water up there. You can't just dig a hole and expect to hit water when you build on a mountain!

This is why water restrictions are so tight in Rapid City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls