Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 04:23 PM

23 posts, read 31,071 times

Advertisements

I was curious if there was anyone on this site who was willing to share thier utility costs. I have a family of four and am looking for something around 1500 square feet. What is the utility bill roughly in the summer and winter months. I am doing a cost of living comparison. The web is ok, but nothing like real info with real people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 06:55 AM

Anyone??? Lol

Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM

25 posts, read 45,454 times
We have a 1700 sq foot house. Family of 4

In the summer with A/C running- electric bill is around $130 at it's peak

Gas bill in the winter- $150 max

Water/waste bill is usually around $55 year round

Old 10-07-2015, 02:38 PM

Thank you very much. The cost of living calculator I was looking at on the web was putting energy costs 15% higher in SD than in Baltimore. I was finding that hard to believe, considering the wage difference between the two states. My gas and electric bill was $475 in the month of july, $425 in August. The pay is lower in SD, but it seems the cost of living matches up. Thanks again.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:45 PM

yeah, no way it would be higher here than in Balitmore

South Dakota is one of the cheapest states to live in

Just curious, what's bringing you to SF from Baltimore?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:12 AM

A way of life. My sons are getting older. My wife and I had a real challenge raising two good boys in this state. Not only is it a nanny state and loves to do everything it can to separate you from the money you earn. The people here and the crime, drugs, filth ect. I want my boys to be able to start thier families in a place where they will not have the same degree of hardship my wife and I endured. I want to buy a piece of land to grow and raise some of my own food. Then when I pass on, have something to leave behind for my family. Houses and property here are ridiculously expensive. So is everything else for that matter. My family and I are really home-bodies, we really just go out to do the shopping, the rare movie trip and a dinner here or there. So I am not looking for a big city. And of course we like it cold, none of my family likes summer.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:23 AM

Its proving to be a challenge. Honestly, we had planned to be there by August. Best laid plans.....I have had a lot of nay-sayers as well. The folks I talk to in SD say how great it is, then tell me how hard it will be for my family to adjust, or tell me I wont make enough money there. Its always..."its wonderful here"...then..."are you sure you really want to move [i]here[i]??" I think they expect that I will miss the big city or some other imaginary amenity. We avoid the city like its on fire. We actually might want to do things in SF if it's as clean as they say it is.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:34 AM

32 posts, read 61,443 times
Live in an 850 Sq ft, 120 yr old farm house that is in relatively good shape. Electricity averages about $168.00 per month, propane for heat runs about $350.00 per season. Keeping in mind we keep the house at 75 in summer, and 65 in winter..There are only 2 of us, but we keep numerous vehicles, machinery, & water tanks plugged in during cold spells.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:22 PM

Thank you GD. That is still a lot less than we pay here. It really sounds like it will pencil out for us on the financial end. I will admit, that I keep the AC set to 70 and the heat is set down at 65 during the day and 50 at night. So the winter months will still be cheaper for us. I just dont like to sweat. Lol

Old 10-09-2015, 01:25 PM

SF extremely clean. No big traffic concerns compared to larger cities. Very safe although crime is rising a little bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls