U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,388 times

Advertisements

So we are from Rapid City, and have never been to Sioux Falls. Been everywhere else It seems but never really explored our state much, with the exceptions of the Black Hills and Pierre. I guess we haven't ever had a reason to visit, but finally we do. I hope that doesn't sound disrespctful...We are actually excited and planning to stay a few extra days to have a mini vacation of sorts. Looking for help as far as what we should see and do? We have 2 boys ages 7 and 12 and will be there late summer or early fall. Would love to a few restaurants to try, local places not chains please. family/budget friendly would be great. Asian.. Thai, and Indian are our favorites, also a really good burger place. Is the zoo worth a visit? Been to a few big city zoos so just wondering if It's worth a look? My kids love to swim as well, any hotel sugestions with nice pools. Whatever else you think might be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 08:07 PM

168 posts, read 184,137 times
Indian food - Shahai Palace out by the mall. They do a lunch buffet that is good, the kids might find that an interesting way to pick and try various things. It is a nicer restaurant but doesn't seem to have a problem with well behaved children.
Thai, I don't know if there is a restaurant in town that is specifically Thai but there is a Cambodian and Vietnamese restaurants that come with high praise, I have not had a chance to eat at either one. Phnom Penh and Lam's Vietnamese.
Asian, Schezwan on 41st street has good Americanized Chinese. There is a Japanese steak house in the lot behind it. IIRC it is "Fuji Steakhouse". Sioux Falls doesn't really have a local burger place. There is a Red Robin and 5 Guys in town. All Day Cafe is local and does have good burgers but they are not the feature of the restaurant.

The zoo is smaller but I think it is worth the visit. It is walkable. They have tigers and recently added a snow monkey exhibit. It is fairly park like is places so you don't feel totally rushed through.

There was supposed to be a hotel/water park built near the I-90 and I-29 exchange. I am not sure if that was ever completed? It was supposed to be huge. Trip Advisor might have some better feedback on local hotels. Ramkota has a water park but the hotel has been pretty run down and the water park can be overcrowded as locals use it for birthday parties on weekends. The airport Ramada was originally a Holiday Inn and has an indoor atrium pool with various related things in the atrium. I have not been in it recently to know the quality.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:36 AM

Also wondering about downtown, I know our downtown area is very small town, but with some pretty fun shops, as well as a downtown park with splashpad, and foutains...and there's always live music and street fair type thing on Thursdays. Does Sioux Falls have anything like that? My kids love to explore downtown areas.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:12 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,371,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineSocks View Post
Also wondering about downtown, I know our downtown area is very small town, but with some pretty fun shops, as well as a downtown park with splashpad, and foutains...and there's always live music and street fair type thing on Thursdays. Does Sioux Falls have anything like that? My kids love to explore downtown areas.

Downtown Sioux Falls has many shops to visit. Street musicians and sidewalk dining is standard fair during the summers in downtown. Many special events are scheduled for downtown all summer. Parking is everywhere.

There is a very large water park called Wild Water West which is southwest of Sioux Falls I can guarantee the kiddies will enjoy it and you will to. They have an outdoor bar there as well.

I would like to recommend a Guatemalan restaurant that's become quite trendy. It's called Jacky's and is only a few blocks east of downtown. I believe it's on 6th street. I have not eaten there yet, but everyone I know that has says it's great.

Your family will definitely enjoy the Great Plains Zoo. I doubt there's very many cities the size of Sioux Falls that have one that's comparable. 175 miles south in Omaha is the Henry Doorley Zoo which is ranked by many sites as the best zoo in the United States. I've been there a couple times and it is hands down amazing. Someday you might want to also visit this.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:00 PM

Thanks, will keep that in mind. Never been to Omaha, the last zoo we visited was Denver..and it was pretty decent. I had heard of the water park but just not sure if we will be there in early fall if it will still be open. That's really why I was for asking about indoor pool options. We will defiantly do the water park if we get there before it closes for the season.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:41 PM

168 posts, read 184,137 times
Downtown has lots of things to do. There is about a 10 block area of stores, restaurants etc. There is also a kid geared science museum at the Washington Pavilion downtown.
Downtown has a sculpture walk, you can pick up a paper guide at various places downtown.
The Diner, Moose River Pizza are both fairly kid friendly. There are a few other places that have burgers and sandwiches but also have a large bar but they should say on the door if they have an age limit.
There are also lots of small local stores around downtown. There is a kids toy type store and also Zandbroz has a section of kids toys and books. It is very walkable and there is a bus-trolley that runs into the fall between downtown and Falls Park.
There are also various events downtown and concerts in the north end near the falls.
There is a big ground level fountain downtown that is not a water play area. I saw some people's kids playing in it last time I was down there. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or