Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 29,742 times

Advertisements

Greetings, everyone! My wife and I currently reside in the Des Moines area. I am a very long term resident, been here for nearly 27 years! While there are many things we like about the area, we have grown weary of our crowded suburban area, the traffic, and increasing crime in the city proper. We have visited Sioux Falls a couple of time and really liked the area.

We are both encountering some difficulties at our current employers. In looking for other opportunities, I seem to have encountered some age discrimination. I have has several interviews for jobs with no offers. I have found out in several cases the jobs went to younger people. I am currently employed for the last two years on a sales desk for an insurance company. I have my Series 6 and life insurance license. Previously I worked in the mortgage industry for 15 years. My wife works in a Medicaid insurance office, her background is human services mainly.

I am looking for feedback re: the Sioux Falls or SD in general job market for job seekers in their 50's. We are both early 50's with approximately 15 years until retirement. Do employers in SF want people in our age group or are they more oriented toward millennials? Any comments are welcome and appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 02:37 PM

92 posts, read 218,165 times
I can't offer much for encouragement. My wife is in her early 50's and has been unemployed for over a year now here. She's a professional with 20 years of experience and it seems to be a turnoff. She's applied for literally everything from a bank teller to project manager. She has a degree in engineering and her resume is bulletproof. They go on and on about how the unemployment rate is low here but that is for jobs paying $10-$20/hour max. I can't say it's age discrimination in her case but in fact - it is. Though I don't think this is just a Sioux Falls thing. That's how it is all over the U.S. Thankfully, I have a secure job - at least for now.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:26 PM

11 posts, read 29,742 times
Scorpion2, thank you for your response! I wish your wife good luck in her job search. Does anyone have any comments re: the market for financial services professionals? I would like to increase my income so my wife could take a lower paying less stressful position. All info is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
View detailed profiles of: