U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 11,978 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Credit goes to a user by the name of citychik, whose survey I copied from the Omaha forums. It was so good that it made me think of the other areas that I'm looking to relocate. I've reworked it for the Sioux Falls area.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have moved to Sioux Falls from somewhere else. Doesn't matter how long ago you moved there, but please feel free to share how long it's been.

1. What has your experience been, comparing Sioux Falls to where you came from?

2. Are you in the city itself or a nearby suburb?

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

4. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

6. How would you rate Sioux Falls' arts/culture scene (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.)?

7. What do you like best about Sioux Falls?

8. What do you like least?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 02:48 PM

63 posts, read 99,975 times
1. Been here about 3 years or so. Property taxes are about $600 more than where I was at in Oklahoma. No state income tax here.

The weather is better for me here. Less problems with allergies, though they can still kick in during the growing season.

Snowfalls have not been too bad. It can drift a fair bit across the roads that criss cross the farmland areas as well as on Minnesota Ave by the airport.

Low temperatures in January can dip into negative double digits at times.

2. In the same county as Sioux Falls.

3. Yes, Bought a house. You have to be ready to buy. The good homes don't stay on the market long. Be ready to make an offer. If you sit around indecisive, it will be gone. The real estate market here is pretty strong for sellers.

The city of Tea, which is about 20 minutes south off I29 is nice. But basement moisture issues are pretty common in that area. Schools in Brandon are more progressive, I was told.

4. Very easy to get around unless it is rush hour or just prior to xmas. The main north/south and east/west roads get congested at rush hour. So 41st street, Louise, Minnesota, Cliff etc get busy.

I have a vehicle. I29 and I229 basically do a full circle around the area. Easy to pop on and off to where you need to go. Some spots are going to be problem areas with congestion. You learn your way around once you are here. I know Lyft recently got approved here. Not sure if there are any drivers at this point. I think Uber is already here.

5. Overall it's been fine. There is a fair bit of crime for the area. I suppose average for an area of this size. They ran out of jail space to put them all.

Don't have any plans for moving unless a big lottery win comes in for me. Even then, may be better to have a home base here for tax purposes.

6. Arts and music etc. Lots of smaller venues for music as well as the big Sanford center for the major acts. Washington Pavilion has a lot of things happening through the year. Two large movie theaters on opposite sides of the city.

7. I like the ease of getting around compared to other major cities. Except for rush hour of course. Traffic here is not so much of a headache. Depends on what you are used to.

And the location is good if you want to take trips out to MN, or IA, MO. Rapid City is about 5 hours from here. Nice weekend trip area. Very different topography out that way. Much more scenic.

8. Negatives: Some of the chain restaurants are not here. I think Outback Steakhouse actually closed recently here. There is no PF Changs, BJs Brewhouse, Long Horn, and many others. But you won't starve. Plenty of local options if you go out to eat once in a while.

Crime seems, to me at least, to be higher considering the population. May be just my perception of seeing it in the news frequently. To me it seems more like Chicago as far as crimes, but on a smaller scale.

If you are single, forget about online dating. It's like pulling teeth here. Best stick with in person approaches and conversation. Work on your game.

Last edited by OKC123; 01-14-2018 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: update

Old 01-31-2018, 12:34 PM

1,358 posts, read 1,072,422 times
America’s hidden depression | The Crux

Old 02-05-2018, 08:20 AM

14,908 posts, read 10,669,211 times
People who grew up around here will complain about the traffic but compared to any major city it's a breeze to get around in Sioux Falls. You have I-229 and 29 that circle the city and all the other roads are laid out in a grid pattern and the traffic is not that terrible. I do try to avoid lunch and rush hour when I visit but it's not the end of the world if I get caught up in them.

Sioux Falls has most everything I could want. It's a fine place to call home. There are better for sure, but they tend to have a higher cost of living. It's all a matter of what you want out of life? Do you want the big city lifestyle or access to more than Sioux Falls has to offer? If so I'd recommend somewhere like Kenosha, WI which is doing well and in proximity to Chicago. Otherwise Sioux Falls is great.

I live in Aurora, which is up by Brookings, and work at 3M, the highest paying manufacturer in town. For what it's worth, if you want living wage work without a college education, most 3M plants will provide that. They are scattered about the country and the two in South Dakota are Brookings and Aberdeen, and Brookings is hiring as there's a labor shortage up here. Get yourself up to $20/hour pretty fast. Housing in Brookings is tight, but apartments are fairly plentiful.

Here's a site that lists 3M plant locations. The biggers ones have links to them.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/plant-locations-us/

The recently built "Bel Brands" plant I believe is the second highest paying in Brookings and also pays well.

http://www.belbrandsusa.com/our-loca...ings-sd-plant/

Trying to stay on the topic of South Dakota here...

1.. I honestly like where I came from more and would go back if I didn't have such a good job up here in Brookings. I miss Lake Michigan and there is more to do there but taxes are higher to provide these amenities. Right now I'm too invested in my current situation to make the change. Since I moved out here 13 years ago there has been huge improvements to the area around which I grew up increasing the number of amenities by several fold.

2. I'm in Brookings/Aurora, which is not really a suburb. I have experience with Brandon and really like that community. Otherwise I'd pick some quiet road in a random subdivision away from a major artery and call it home.

3. I like the housing around the upper midwest because they tend to take advantage of basement space to create living space which is what my house is like. In general I find the real estate around here acceptable. Since below grade finished space isn't taxed to the same degree you save money as well. Just make sure the place you buy has no moisture problems and if possible has a sump pit with a pump and also a good drain tile system.

4. Like mentioned getting around is fairly easy compared to any other larger city. Even during rush hour you do not see bumper to bumper traffic jams on the interstate like in Omaha, Minneapolis, etc. You will see more jamming up on streets like 41st street and the streets within the city that are heavily traveled but it's not really bad.

5. I'm happy enough out here to not want to make a huge change. I'm not a very exciting person though and get lots of my entertainment through the internet anyways. There's only so many things you can do and so many places you can see before the newness wears off and then it's just another environment, in my opinion.

6. I would honestly rate it a 4 out of 10 compared to a major city, but that's to be expected from a city this size.

7. It's the perfect size where there's enough to do (for the way I live) without being so big I get irritated trying to drive through it, and it doesn't have a huge sprawling metro area either so you don't have to drive through a ton of traffic for 25 miles just to reach it like many other metro areas in larger cities. I LOVE the looping off-road bike trail and drive to Sioux Falls to ride it a lot during the summer. There are bigger cities that don't have bike trails this nice. It goes through every major park including Falls Park, downtown, and not once does it cross a road. This one single factor has doubled my satisfaction living around here as I like to bike on my road bike.

8. I was going to say the cold, but my least favorite thing about this area seems to be a culture of people putting dogs out in their back yards and letting them bark all day long while they are at work. It's not a high number, but at least up here in Brookings and Aurora, the people who are considerate with their pets or don't have pets haven't taken action to stop the 5-10% that do this. The guy in Aurora who owns the gas station and Auto body shop has some of the most obnoxious dogs I've ever seen occupy a residential neighborhood before. Getting talked to by the cops is no deterrent, so the next step up is legal action. Since he probably has money owning these businesses, it's the logical next step. They don't do this where I grew up. I go to visit my father and I hear silence. I come back here and it's bark bark bark, mostly all day long from 3 or 4 different neighbors various distances away. I plan to circulate letters in the neighborhood this spring to test the waters for us to group together and pass an ordinance or take legal action so I can enjoy my back yard this summer. This community seems to have a ton of owls though so if the dogs aren't barking, the owls hoot all day long anyways, lol.

Last edited by sholomar; 02-05-2018 at 09:22 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 12:55 AM

6,782 posts, read 3,638,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caz_iii View Post

2. Are you in the city itself or a nearby suburb?

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

4. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

6. How would you rate Sioux Falls' arts/culture scene (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.)?

7. What do you like best about Sioux Falls?

8. What do you like least?

Thanks!
Well, it would be unfair for me to answer for myself. I grew up in Minnehaha County, but left for school. I've been gone awhile now, but still love coming home and being able to catch up with old friends. Having traveled the world, people tend think I'm about to spout some better than rhetoric. All it's done is make me appreciate South Dakota even more. People have communities there. People care there. It's an awesome place.

However, my daughter came out with me to South Dakota for the summer. The trip wasn't fun, it was hospice for my father, and again I couldn't believe how amazing the people were, and how happy I was that he was cared for in South Dakota.

I wasn't sure how my little one would take it though. She's always lived in a city. I had to question her a few times because I told her if she came, she had to come for a long time, maybe the whole summer. She was game.

Her first reaction was on the drive out. She'd never seen snow or hail before and only heard thunder once. Heavy wind here is best described as a breeze. Coming over the Rockies we got all three in spades. She went from very concerned, to easing up...and finally relaxed a little bit. Though the lines on the I-90 really could have some brighter colors marking the lanes.

We stayed in a nearby small town. Her initial reaction was positive. There was wireless everywhere and nobody bothered to put up a password. The houses didn't have fences and there were birds and squirrels running in the yards. It took her a bit of time to get used to the concept of just going and running with the neighborhood kids to go have fun. She carried her iPad with her like a pacifier for awhile. It made me pretty happy when she launched it to me one day and went running after the kids to go play in the field. Didn't see her for a few hours, but knew she was fine. The hot light of being under constant helicopter spotlight was gone. (It's actually illegal for us to leave her unsupervised until some ridiculous age.)

She liked the slight jabs the family members made. She liked the mild flirtations she got from a couple of boys. She was concerned once when some boys were "bullying" a little girl. (older brother/younger sister) and I explained that the boys wanted to play by themselves. If she wanted to play with the girl just do it and the boys will go away.

We didn't get to do much, but we got away on occasion. We checked out the Japanese gardens (no more paddle boats apparently) and Wild Water West, the Zoo and the Drive In theater. We ate ice cream at that new not Dairy Queen, but Dairy Queen place. We did a campfire. We lit fireworks. Some of the neighbors tricked her into driving a 4 wheeler or jumping on a trampoline. We went to the fair.

She grew a lot that summer. Despite the smaller house, and smaller bed and lots of time just hanging out in the hospital. Her clothes weren't her good dry cleaned ones.

She cried when she had to leave. She didn't want to go back. She just thought she'd live with Grandma if I was going back.

She'd met real people, and she liked it.

To be honest, I did too. I'd put out my resume but couldn't get a bite. If coming from California didn't scare HR off directly, asking for my last wage would. Took awhile of constant buying ice at the local bar and playing low key for those that I didn't know before to start talking. I was wearing normal clothes I'd bought in town, but nothing says ****** like some loser driving a flashy imported car with California plates on it. (I was giving it to my mom for a fun car...but even she didn't want it because it would give the wrong impression...she's right) But people came around, and I made a good neighbor pretty happy.

So I'd say the hardest part is that it's tough to move back. I get why that is, and in truth am not the up and at em at 6:00am guy. You can do things with people that show up at 9 though. But I guess I'll have to bring my own coin, and then pretend i don't have it...which I'm fine with.

Now if I could just convince my wife to move...

Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 AM

72 posts, read 63,343 times

The people are ok, but the "city" is far too small for me. Not really much to do here for pre-teens and teens and for a city this small, it cost far too much money to eat out, buy groceries, etc than it really should.

2. Are you in the city itself or a nearby suburb? Live in the "city"

I own a home in Lincoln county. Property taxes are ridiculous and insane that they do an assessment every year and somehow my home has increased by 16k in the last year, even though homes much larger and very recently updated in the same neighborhood are not even selling for the price my home is supposedly assessed at.

This town is incredibly small so very easy to get around. Problem is that there isn't enough variety in stores and even restaurants. I mean, how many chicken, pizza, and burger places does this town need?? Roads could be taken care of better.

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term? Heck no. And already planning moving in next couple years. We have lived in many places across the US in both smaller towns and in much larger cities. For a community this size it costs far too much to live here overall, schools are too crowded and focus geared towards specific schools while others get ignored or students do, only one cable company (not satellite) and they aren't very good/reliable.

6. How would you rate Sioux Falls' arts/culture scene (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.)? Seems concerts are improving, but not really my scene. Would love to see more of an acting community for younger kids that is all year round, maybe theater/film/tv opportunities. Would love to see more classes/camps (Affordable) towards teens who are interested in digital graphic design, comic creation, etc. I have seen coding camps recently, but really, one of the camps is almost $400 for 4 days and the other is $4,997 for 12 wks!

7. What do you like best about Sioux Falls? Winter

8. What do you like least? Believe I covered it in previous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls