Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 8,497 times

Advertisements

Even though I no longer live in the area Sioux Falls is still a gem to visit. My wife has some health problems and could not handle the winters. If I could I would retire there but hope to visit many times in the spring and fall. They are my favorate times of year. It's like anything else you just need to find people with similar interests and that's no different in the big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 02:45 PM

11 posts, read 30,619 times
I also am looking to live in the country out of town, I am currently in Salt Lake, if you make under 200.000 a year you will never own a little tiny piece of property, it is very upsetting to have to accept that fact, we are interested in Sioux falls, I am a new patient coordinator for a group of Urologists and my husband has a 35 yr background in folding cartons, looking at Bell Corporation, we have looked at the real estate and compared to my situation Sioux Falls is utopia.
If I were to look at a 30 minute drive out out of Sioux Falls would I run into alot of winter weather problems, how well do the counties take care of snow and ice?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,908,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARINA JOHNSON View Post
I also am looking to live in the country out of town, I am currently in Salt Lake, if you make under 200.000 a year you will never own a little tiny piece of property, it is very upsetting to have to accept that fact, we are interested in Sioux falls, I am a new patient coordinator for a group of Urologists and my husband has a 35 yr background in folding cartons, looking at Bell Corporation, we have looked at the real estate and compared to my situation Sioux Falls is utopia.
If I were to look at a 30 minute drive out out of Sioux Falls would I run into alot of winter weather problems, how well do the counties take care of snow and ice?
If you live outside of Sioux Falls about 30 minutes, it is not a bad drive and distance for most of the year. With running into winter weather problems, that depends on the winter and what types of roads one would drive. I live about 20 minutes out from Sioux Falls in a smaller town and most of the times do not have major issues driving to Sioux Falls. I drive about half of the distance on intertates and the other part on rural roads. The interstates and heavily-used highways get cleared the best but can get iffy if heavy and wet snow blows across the road or during times when snow or ice builds up during a precip event.

To be honest, there will be times in the winter, some winters more than others, where winter driving can be an inconvenience. If you drive slow and cautiously and do not do things too suddenly on ice or heavy snow, you will be fine. Those who overdrive conditions (such as driving too fast on slippery roads) often go into the ditch. Some of the worst offenders are those who drive SUVs and full-size trucks who think that the they are immune to winter mishaps and overdrive conditions. I have a mid-size car without traction control and managed well in the ice and snow. But then again, I go slow and avoid doing thing suddenly (like braking, turning, and accelerating).

Even in the winters (most winters), the roads are clear at least 2/3rds of the time. There are some mild winters where winter driving is a breeze, others where winter driving is pain at times, and others in between. Be sure to have a shovel, blanket, and a cell phone with you at a minimum if the roads are iffy to stay protected if you get stuck or stranded. Most of the times, your best bets are state/federal 2-laned roads, interstates, and main thouroughfares in town. The county roads usually clear out within a day or two of a sizable snow or ice event and side city roads can be iffy patches. Hope that this helps.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,378,109 times
Tarina, if you live in a city the size of Salt Lake City, you WILL feel like you're in the country in Sx. Falls.

Have you considered living right in town? Personally, I hate winter driving, but like Chris said, many people do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls