Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 15,158 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My fiance and I will be moving to Sioux Falls at the beginning of next year and we'll be looking to rent an apartment. I've been looking online at different apartments, and I'm focusing mostly on apartments that allow dogs. I've found a few that I'm interested in.
I had lived in SD my whole life until last December when I moved to Denver for school, but unfortunately I don't know much about the areas of Sioux Falls. If anyone could tell me if there were certain areas to try to avoid moving to I'd appreciate it. One of the apartments I was interested in was on Elmwood Ave. Does anyone know anything about that neighborhood?

Any advice or info is appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
cmhepper,
Here is the website of a small magazine that is put out throughout Sioux Falls with many listings of apartments... Apartments and Other Rentals - Renters Guide Magazine - Property Listing
What part of Elmwood Avenue and do you know what the apartments are called? The only area I would avoid would just west and north of downtown. The area just west of downtown (Pettigrew Heights) is undergoing a revitalization plan, so if you move to that area, there's a chance that your apartment will be torn down and you'll be forced to move . Also, the area near the State Penn & Falls Park, but there really aren't apartments in that area, just run down homes.
If you have a price range and how many rooms you are looking for, I could give you a few good places. I'm pretty familiar with the apartment scenario in SF.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I agree with MJ1986 on avoiding the areas west and north of downtown. These areas of Sioux Falls have been dingy in the past 20 years or so. The area north of downtown has been the less desirable area (not horrible) for years. My parents rented an apartment west of downtown in the 14th and Duluth area back in the very early 1980s and was a so so area then and was affordable at that time (they were starting out and had limited money during that time period), but is not nearly as desirable place to start from nowadays.

Most areas of Sioux Falls are decent. If the apartments are on South Elmwood not too far from the Western Mall, it is in a nice area. Elmwood south of 15th St. is decent.

There also some nice apartments in nearby communities of Tea and Brandon. Harrisburg has apartments, but not as many as the other two. Although, there are new ones being built in Harrisburg.

Sioux Falls has plenty of apartments to choose from. There are fancy ones, newer ones, older ones, and ones that are decent ones in between.

Rents may range from $450 (mostly one bedrooms) to $550-$700 for an average two-bedroom appt. The lower range would be older apartments and ones built 20-25 years ago and newer ones that are built within the past 10 years or so would trend around $650-$700/month and maybe a little bit more. There are definitely ones higher than that, but many of those are fancier and offer additional ammenties. There are a few apartments in southwestern SF that have underground parking and a few that have indoor swimming pools.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 AM

It's called Brentwood Apartments on 703 N Elmwood. So it looks like it's north of 15th Street.

We're probably looking for 2 bds around $600 maybe a little more with a reasonable pet deposit.
That's partly why I focused on Brentwood, they had a low pet deposit and rent was pretty low as well. But I guess that's why if it's not in the decent part of town.

I'm not really concentrating on amenities much. We have all kinds of amenities at this apartment we're at now (indoor/outdoor pool, small gym, etc) and we hardly use any of them, so we could live without them.
Although underground parking would be nice, haha.

Thanks so much!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:53 PM

I found a few that are south of 41st near the Empire Mall. Anyone know anything about these?
Heritage Place- 5005 W Heritage Pl
Oxbow Estates- 3908 S Carnegie Cir
West Brooke- 3300 Westbrooke Ln

Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM

509 posts, read 1,349,272 times
I live in an apartment complex where a 2 bedroom rents at $610 a month w/ deck, central air, dishwasher and an average pet rent and i think its $25/month for a dog....if you wanna know what it is send me a message

Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Brentwood isn't in a bad area... it's in an older part of town.
I'm not too familiar with Heritage Place. Oxbow Estates are in a good location... They look nice from the outside. I think Oxbow and Westbrooke would be very comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls