U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 AM

1,507 posts, read 4,556,391 times
Default Suggestions on how to get to Mt Rushmore from Sioux Falls

Greetings from North Carolina!

I'm hoping some of the locals on here can provide some good suggestions. I am planning a family trip out to Sioux Falls to visit my SO's family. We would like to take a trip out to see Mt Rushmore, but I just found it, its about a six hour drive. *Yikes!*

Just curious to see if anyone has any suggestions on other forms of transportation. (plane, train, bus)

Thanks ya'll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,154,818 times
It may not be quite a six hour drive from Sx. Falls. I live 75 miles east of Sx. Falls and it's about 260 miles to Mt. Rushmore. Our speed limit on the interstate is 75 so you might be able to make it to Rushmore in about 4 hours. We don't have much of public transit in our state and the car would be the only way I'd know of for getting there. Just take I-90 straight west until you hit 16A and turn south. It's possible that a busline would run from Sx. Falls to Rapid, but it'd probably take quite a few hours to get there with all the stops they'd make along the way.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:47 AM

17,165 posts, read 20,715,102 times
Greyhound has a run from Sioux Falls to Rapid City. Takes a little over 6 hours. So it's fairly direct. 391 miles from Downtown Sioux Falls to Downtown Rapid City.

I'd recommend driving because there's lot of things to see and do on that trip. Maybe stray off and go through the Badlands. Bus doesn't run that way. But it would only add an hour to your trip. Plus, if you take the bus, you'll still need a rental when you got to Rapid City. Mt Rushmore is a ways out of town and there's not a lot of transportation going out there unless it's an expensive Tour Bus.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:54 PM

14 posts, read 50,878 times
Best bet is to probably drive, some decent sights along the way, depending on who you ask I-90 to Rapid, South on 16 to Mt. Rushmore

Old 06-19-2008, 07:34 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,202,947 times
Drive your own car or a rental. It may be a long trip but it's pretty fun!

-I-90 West out of Sioux Falls
-Follow it for 346 miles until you reach Rapid City limits

Two options-
-Exit 61 (Highway 16 City Bypass)
This completely bypasses Rapid City and is much faster, but the downside is that it is so new out there and there are no hotels nor sights nearby.

OR

-Exit 57 (Highway 16 Downtown Circuit)
This takes longer but you go through downtown Rapid City and tons of hotels, restaurants, coffee shops, and supermarkets.

-Highway 16 leads directly to Mount Rushmore

The drive isn't quite six hours. I've done it in four but I was going about 90 the whole way and I only stopped once in Chamberlain. I've NEVER been pulled over on I-90 and I've driven it soooo many times.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 PM

AWWWW, so that was you who went flying past me on the interstate, huh Danny???

Seriously though, it generally takes us about five hours to get out there from Mitchell. But we like to stop and have coffee and walk around a bit and we just dawdle. It's actually about a 3 and a half hour drive from here or 4 and a half hours from Sx. Falls if you go straight through. That's at about 75 mph.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:22 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,210,771 times
I can recall it taking about 5 1/2 hours from Sioux Falls to Rapid City and rode that stretch about three weeks ago with several family members. This includes the stop at the Mitchell Wal-Mart that took a half hour, which should have been ten minutes or so in my opinion. Darn it. My favorite areas are by Chamberlain and from Kadoka to Rapid City. Got to see the Badlands from 1-90 during sunrise and this was a neat sight to see (although the most interesting sight was seeing lightning near the Badlands during a little weather system). I was on my way to Vegas and took this way due to flooding and water issues in Central Nebraska.

Thinking of going to and through Rapid City brings a lot of memories.

I have to chuckle when travelling with my parents. For some odd reason, we have a tendency to stop at a Coffee Cups and Flying Js either for pit stops or to fill up the minivan (which I much rather drive a car). Also, we have country music playing. Not just the Gretchen Wilson and Kenny Chesney, but the Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton, and Willie nelson type of music. My guess is that we are in a country music mood when going through the area.

Five years ago, when going to the Pacific Northwest, my Dad drove all the way from the Sioux Falls area to Wasta in the Pontiac TransPort minivan without stopping. We sure made good time when we came to Rapid City. This was the time when I seen lightning behind the Badlands.

I drove there twice by myself. The first time, it was mild and perfect weather. The second time, which was three years ago. It was blazing hot and was 111 degrees there and I must have been in a group of people who drove fast and I had to drive 85 mph at least to keep up with the traffic (which I would not do the 85 mpg now due to gas being almost twice as much as it was in 2005).

DannyBanany may remember that I was going to head out to Rapid City last December, but the weather was just plain crappy to make the cross-state trip. I wanted to head out there to see the area, but managed to do it on the way to Vegas. Who knows, I might go through Rapid on my way to Colorado in October to spice things up or go through NW Kansas.

Last edited by Chris19; 06-19-2008 at 10:40 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 08:38 AM

1,507 posts, read 4,556,391 times
Wow, thanks everyone!

Someone mentioned to me a charter/tour bus that takes the trip from Sioux Falls to Mt Rushmore with a couple of stops along the way...any idea???
I think we will probably just drive out, from the sounds of it, there's alot to look at. (like buffalo! we dont have those in NC!)

I also found it very amusing that SD has waterparks. I dont know why, but when I think of SD, I dont think of water attractions.

Thanks again!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:15 AM

It's probably because people in a lot of areas of the country think it's cold here year round. They'll discover that's not true if they are here for one of our warm days that can hit well over 100 degrees.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:54 AM

17,165 posts, read 20,715,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Wow, thanks everyone!

Someone mentioned to me a charter/tour bus that takes the trip from Sioux Falls to Mt Rushmore with a couple of stops along the way...any idea???
I think we will probably just drive out, from the sounds of it, there's alot to look at. (like buffalo! we dont have those in NC!)

I also found it very amusing that SD has waterparks. I dont know why, but when I think of SD, I dont think of water attractions.

Thanks again!
The bus I mentioned was Greyhound. They have a regular run from Sioux Falls to Rapid City. Then in Rapid you'd have to find a tour bus or get a rental car to go see the faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls