U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2008, 06:15 AM

38 posts, read 87,493 times
Default Sioux Falls safest driving city

This is one of several things that my wife and I keep talking about...how well people drive up there. Night and day difference between here and there.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - An insurance study has once again found that Sioux Falls has the safest drivers in the nation, marking the third straight year that South Dakota's largest city has topped the list.

Rest of story: Study: Sioux Falls, S.D., safest US driving city -- Newsday.com (broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 10:19 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,704,655 times
That is fantastic!!! It's so good to see our state being number one in good things and that happens every once in a while.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,326,775 times
It is good to see the city get recognition in this area, although I question some drivers (some who do not pay attention and some who go too slow and back up traffic). Most drivers are OK, but there are at least a few oddball drivers in most areas.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:32 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,474,812 times
Wow, I went to work at 7 am...and I drove right past the gas station on Louise Avenue....I couldn't believe the lines!!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,450,624 times
You guys are lucky! I bet insurance out there is much cheaper than over here! I have to cut back so much just to pay insurance!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Danny,

From my understanding, insurance is cheaper in Sioux Falls compared to Rapid City and Pierre. When I lived in Pierre, my car insurance for the 2004 Grand Prix was a good $70-$80 more every six months more than in the Sioux Falls area. I have heard that insurance is at least a good 25 percent more in Rapid than in Sioux Falls. More deer incidents in Rapid would be my guess. Mine has dropped quite a bit after turning 20 to 21 and another big drop after turning 25. I now pay a good $400 less in full coverage than what I did three years ago, which is nice.

My insurance was high after having a fender-bender when I was in high schools with the 86' Olds Cutlass Ciara, which was a frying pan on wheels with brown seats, lots of metal, and a clunked out A/C (a $500 special but a good car to start from-rather have a fender bender with that than a late model car). The car had a little indentation in the bumper and the other car had damage in the grill. The fender-bender was a mild one, but could easily been worse. The fender bender and the corner (a two way stop) still spooks me to this day. The insurance got better after my freshman year of college and liablity on a 1994 Pontiac got rather cheap after my fourth year of college. I was able to just put liablity on my cars until my 2004 Pontiac three years ago due buying cheaper repairable vehicles with cash and having inexpensive repairs made to them (to make them nice, dependable vehicles).

Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 PM

38 posts, read 132,123 times
I don't think the people are any better drivers here than anywhere else. I just think they manage not to hit one another while driving badly.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
I don't think the people are any better drivers here than anywhere else. I just think they manage not to hit one another while driving badly.
I agree with you to a certain degree. The road system here is better planned than many places around the country and has a nice grid pattern for the most part, except areas between 12th St. and 41st St. (which former Mayor Hanson tried to extend 26th St. through a country club and that did not sit too well with the patrons. It would have taken some pressure off of 41st and made it easier for those west of I-29 to commute to work and improved access to Sanford and Avera McKennan hospitals.

There are many good drivers and I will give those people their credit, but there are quite a few goofballs out on the loose. The most common things I have to look out for (and often complain about) include: drivers who are in a hurry to pull out in front of me and then slow down once they get in front of me, those who do not use their turn signals, those who go very slow (much more so than what they need to), those who sit or move slow when the light turns green, those who slow down in the regular lane and hold up traffic while making a left turn (not using the turning lane), and people who go slow in front of me and then speed up when I pass them (and would not let me pass them). There are a few more pet peeves. I think that some of these people do not pay as much attention to the road as they should, just plain not good city/urban drivers, think they are the only ones on the road, or are unfamiliar with city driving. There are some drivers in Sioux Falls who would get run right off of the road if they were to drive in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Denver, or other larger metros.

To sum it up, Sioux Falls has a good road system and a number of its drivers try do do a good job of driving, but there are a few odd ducks to look out for. A possible problem for Sioux Falls is that it has a few drivers who drive as though they are in a small town when in fact Sioux Falls is a city. The city driving for some people needs to improve to help with traffic flow efficiency and working as a team (cooperate with each other) in heavier traffic instead of having too many "I am the only one on the road" attitude (This may be more of a society issue).

Old 07-03-2008, 05:20 AM

20,802 posts, read 30,727,047 times
They must not have surveyed 41st Street .

Old 07-03-2008, 03:45 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,474,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
They must not have surveyed 41st Street .
Haha, No kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls