U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2008, 06:44 AM

509 posts, read 980,386 times

Advertisements

Could someone please tell me if Sioux Falls has a frequent history of flooding? I was just curious with it being on a river if I am correct.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 08:21 AM

733 posts, read 2,821,282 times
The last significant flood was in the early '60s when I was about 10 years old. Thereafter the Corps of Engineers and the City built a diversion channel so much of the Sioux River bypasses the "loop" around and through the City. In the late '60s or early '70s the levees below the diversion channel spillway were threatened - and that may have happened more often that the one time I recall getting out of school and filling sandbags - but did not fail. Had they failed the Morrell packing plant, sewage treatement plant, stockyards, and a variety of heavy business/industrial firms would have been effected.

Since then I don't recall any flood threats from the river - other than to parkland and flood prone riparian areas. Now and again sudden downpours cause storm sewer overloads in the old, flat river plain - say south of 35th Street between Phillips and Western Avenues, more or less.

Somebody may have better information since I left SFSD 29 years ago - though I only moved about 70 miles west and read the paper most days!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,438,816 times
The area on South Minnesota by 33rd St. had homes that had water damage due to heavy rains in 2004 and the city has been working to fix some of the water problems in the area by building detention ponds and improving its storm sewer system.

Areas right next to the Big Sioux River, such as the soccer fields between the Western Ave. and Minnesota Ave. exits and along I-229 have had standing water during very wet periods in the 1980s and 1990s, early 1980s according to my parents telling me when I was younger.

Generally speaking, Sioux Falls does not have major flooding events very often. But the city is pushing for congressional funding and is in the process of improving its levee system near the Empire Mall area to give better protection in the event of heavy rains or very wet periods.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:39 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,560,657 times
I remember receiving something in the mail about a class action lawsuit against the city regarding that major flooding in 2004... I ignored it because I didn't own property in that area that was described. Does anyone know what happened with that lawsuit?

Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,438,816 times
I have heard that there was litigation against the city a few years ago, but do not remember any further details.

If Sioux Falls had a 500 to 1000-year flood like Cedar Rapids, the Empire Mall area would definitely be underwater (due to its low and flat terrain) along with areas in central and southern Sioux Falls that are flat and following the Big Sioux River along with areas of Western Sioux Falls in low spots near Skunk Creek.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:38 PM

733 posts, read 2,821,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I have heard that there was litigation against the city a few years ago, but do not remember any further details.

If Sioux Falls had a 500 to 1000-year flood like Cedar Rapids, the Empire Mall area would definitely be underwater (due to its low and flat terrain) along with areas in central and southern Sioux Falls that are flat and following the Big Sioux River along with areas of Western Sioux Falls in low spots near Skunk Creek.
Quite possibly. The flood I referred to in my earlier post pre-dated the flood control structures and involved West Sioux, South Sioux, and areas around John Morrell. Since the flood control projects the safety of the areas you indicate depends upon the capacity, and strength, of the levees. Remember, the original channel of the Sioux River has been straightened and levees installed from north of Joe Foss Field along the remnants of the straightened natural channel southward through Sherman Park, Westward Ho, portions of Skunk Creek, bending along south and east through lower Tuthill Park along I-229, over the falls, past Morrell's and out east of town etc. A diversion channel collects water north of the airport, shunts it parallel to North Minnesota, down the spillway, and then back into the natural channel and out east of town. The idea was to largely bypass the floodplain of West Sioux and South Sioux.

I do remember wet springs where the channels were running nearly full to the top of the levees, the falls were thundering, some parkland was wet, and things were about at their maximum capacity. So something catastrophic could occur.

Regarding the lawsuits on flooding - if I remember correctly those had to do with defective storm sewers which either backed up or didn't have the capacity to properly drain the neighborhoods in question.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,785 times
Default Diversion channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
The last significant flood was in the early '60s when I was about 10 years old. Thereafter the Corps of Engineers and the City built a diversion channel so much of the Sioux River bypasses the "loop" around and through the City. In the late '60s or early '70s the levees below the diversion channel spillway were threatened - and that may have happened more often that the one time I recall getting out of school and filling sandbags - but did not fail. Had they failed the Morrell packing plant, sewage treatement plant, stockyards, and a variety of heavy business/industrial firms would have been effected.

Since then I don't recall any flood threats from the river - other than to parkland and flood prone riparian areas. Now and again sudden downpours cause storm sewer overloads in the old, flat river plain - say south of 35th Street between Phillips and Western Avenues, more or less.

Somebody may have better information since I left SFSD 29 years ago - though I only moved about 70 miles west and read the paper most days!
The diversion channel was built back in the 1950's, What the person is thinking of is the spillway that was modified after that flood. Before that flood the diversion channel dropped into a hole on the west side of north drive avenue to a level of the river below. After that the spillway was erected to take the water down to the level of the river below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls