U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:57 AM

479 posts, read 875,913 times
Someone from St. Louis asked how far my daily commute was. I replied "17 miles." He then asked how long it took. I replied "About 17 minutes." He did not believe me. But it is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,242 times
Talking commute time in SoDak

That's what I loved about being 30 miles from Sioux Falls - even on a bad day you could be at the mall within 45 minutes (barring a major snow storm of course). When we lived in California, I lived 8 miles from work and it took me 40 minutes on a good day not to mention the days when there were detours, rain or accidents. I'll take that SoDak commute any day over bumper to bumper congestion of the city!

And, snow removal and the equipment that is used today is light years beyond what it was 20 years ago. I commuted to Sioux Falls to work every day for over 5 years. I never had to spend the night in Sioux Falls. There were a few days each winter when I had to leave later or leave work early but very few days that the commute was impossible or travel was not advised.

Living in NoDak now and experiencing the major snowfalls, bitter cold and now flooding makes life in SoDak seem like a vacation!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM

18,610 posts, read 14,204,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
Someone from St. Louis asked how far my daily commute was. I replied "17 miles." He then asked how long it took. I replied "About 17 minutes." He did not believe me. But it is true.
In Pierre it takes me about 4 minutes.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,242 times
Default commute time in SoDak

Gotta love it

Old 05-13-2009, 09:51 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,508,084 times
It usually takes me about 15 minutes to get to work... and Work is about 3 1/2 miles away in Sioux Falls. A mile of it is interstate, but it seems to depend on the stoplights. I guess the stoplights are programmed different in different times to the day. Very few thoroughfares are programmed when it comes to stoplights.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:29 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,778,716 times
acreages also get very expensive within 30 miles of brookings, and all real estate in and around brookings is overpriced too. There's a bit of a buffer zone around Dell Rapids, Egan, Colman, and Trent, but even then acreages can get pricy. Might need to look west or south for better deals which I can see you're doing looking at bridgewater.

I'm spoiled by a 4 minute commute time, which will be up to about 23-25 minutes. 26.5 miles, commuting from egan to brookings, once they fix the interstate and make it 2 lane again.

There is also a temp difference that can be noticeable in this area.. western areas generally are warmer year around, while northern and eastern areas are cooler. Brookings is one of the coldest spots in the state which has a tendency to irritate me sometimes.. if you could draw a map of where the cold air always comes down and settles it would look something like this...

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv270/sholomar/MaxT4_northplains.png (broken link)

There are days where it's 10 degrees cooler in brookings then it is in Sioux Falls in the spring and fall especially. It's the difference between a comfortable jog and having to bundle up with more clothing. Oh well, I'm not gonna quit my job because of that. Just keep in mind it might be 10 degrees warmer 20 miles west and south of sioux falls then it will be 20 miles north or northeast of sioux falls... spring and fall especially.

Last edited by stockwiz; 05-16-2009 at 09:11 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 10:45 AM

1,633 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
acreages also get very expensive within 30 miles of brookings, and all real estate in and around brookings is overpriced too. There's a bit of a buffer zone around Dell Rapids, Egan, Colman, and Trent, but even then acreages can get pricy. Might need to look west or south for better deals which I can see you're doing looking at bridgewater.

I'm spoiled by a 4 minute commute time, which will be up to about 23-25 minutes. 26.5 miles, commuting from egan to brookings, once they fix the interstate and make it 2 lane again.

There is also a temp difference that can be noticeable in this area.. western areas generally are warmer year around, while northern and eastern areas are cooler. Brookings is one of the coldest spots in the state which has a tendency to irritate me sometimes.. if you could draw a map of where the cold air always comes down and settles it would look something like this...

There are days where it's 10 degrees cooler in brookings then it is in Sioux Falls in the spring and fall especially. It's the difference between a comfortable jog and having to bundle up with more clothing. Oh well, I'm not gonna quit my job because of that. Just keep in mind it might be 10 degrees warmer 20 miles west and south of sioux falls then it will be 20 miles north or northeast of sioux falls... spring and fall especially.
Your map is interesting and based on what I've seen, pretty accurate. The only part that is badly skewed is in northwestern North Dakota. There is NO WAY Williston North Dakota isn't in the "cold air lingering" area. That town in the winter is at least 15 degrees colder than even Brookings on average. Williston people winter in Sioux Falls because it's so balmy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls