U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 AM

13,496 posts, read 25,440,038 times

Advertisements

AWWW, I knew you would all have good info for San Diego.

For entertainment~did anyone mention the Lifelight Festival?

MJ, you're totally right. A lot of people don't mind the cold and enjoy being outside, skiing, etc. But San had said his wife doesn't like the cold so she sounds like me and Snowbird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,594,125 times
Lifelight is huge for SF... I've never gone, but it seems like something I should go to!

Jammie lets hope for a warm winter...which I wouldn't mind at all. But I do like a big blizzard every once in a while .

Old 11-18-2008, 05:29 AM

13 posts, read 24,770 times
I agree; we did a pros & cons list and it was very helpful. Her San Diego list was a little heavily weighted towards the pros as you would imagine, but it was useful. MJ, I checked out the Lifelight festival - sounds cool, and at a good time of the year. Unfortunately I can't bring her out until January, but we will plan to come out then and try to do and see as much as we can. Thanks,

John

Old 11-18-2008, 06:32 AM

393 posts, read 728,032 times
Hey there,

Part of your deal will be to offer to just rent a place for a year. I don't know your financial position, but I wouldn't run right out and buy a home. It might seem too "permanent". Ask her to "try" it for a year and rent. That way you are not saying "It's my way or the highway" and by keeping your options open you'll take some of the fear and pressure off.

Take a trip out there, show her around. Get a good realtor to show you the area and ask to see some nice rentals. Take her to the place you may work to meet some people you might become friends with. Do things like that.

If you are able, take a couple different weekend trips out there to get a variety of things covered. .

God Bless and all the best!

BH

Old 11-18-2008, 09:45 AM

8,187 posts, read 7,914,893 times
San Diego vs Sioux Falls may seem an unfair comparison when it comes to nightlife, things to do and of course the weather....but, have you looked at how much further your money will go in SF vs SD?
I agree with Blackhillsdream that not buying a home right off the bat may be something to think about....but I would still look at the realtor websites and see just how much house you can get in SF vs what you can get in SD. Also, do a realistic budget and see just how much money would be going into savings/fun accounts (shopping)/vacations. And of course, look into the school systems and see if there are any that meet your approval for your 'maybe babies'.

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:09 PM

13 posts, read 24,770 times
Hey Everyone,
Thank you for the support and good advice. Very good points. I think renting for a year would be a really good idea to make sure she's comfortable with it without too big of a commitment. I get a kick out of the "Similar Threads" links at the bottom of the page to see how many "Help me convince my wife to move to ...." threads there are.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 PM

106 posts, read 237,279 times
Hey There! You definetly are going to have to check out this website: Sioux Falls Jobs, Rentals and Entertainment - South Dakota you want to know about Sioux Falls and more!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 PM

1,777 posts, read 3,563,590 times
Hey Diego, I grew up in Sioux Falls and I'm kind of like your wife - I love Minneapolis but am not sure I'd move back to Sioux Falls for a few of the same reasons. But, I still find my mind drifting off to the possibility of going back someday - I sometimes fantasize about the low cost of living there and how far the dollar can stretch - you'll definitely get more house for the money and have more income to put towards savings/ college educations for kids/ trips and whatever else the case might be - maybe with the additional income you guys could even start your own yoga place/ organic grocery store/ independent theatre / or whatever other local business need there might be .

Also just wanted to note - when driving around Sioux Falls and looking at potential neighborhoods to live and/or buy a home in, I would recommend some of the older neighborhoods so that you at least get a little bit more of a "city" neighborhood vibe: The historic district around the Cathedral (and this area actually does feel a little urban), the McKennan Park neighborhood, and possibly the area around Sioux Valley would be good places to start. I'm not sure if Sioux Falls has gotten much into redeveloping downtown buildings into lofts or not (others might know more about this on here), but I heard this might be a possibility on the Philips to the Falls project?

Anyways, good luck with your trip and decision-

Old 11-19-2008, 07:15 AM

192 posts, read 523,185 times
The downtown area has gotten into renovating old buildings into lofts and apartments. The unfotunate thing that I have heard is that there are some old houses along the "loop" that have recently sold and will be torn down and low income apartments will be built. Unless you work downtown, living downtown wouldn't be very convenient in my opinion.
Dog parks in Sioux Falls--there are two parks that offer dog parks. Both are on Cliff Ave. One on the north side of town and the other is on the south side of town. The one on the south side of town is fenced, and is kept up nicely.
Rents are reasonable in Sioux Falls. If you're looking to rent, DM me and maybe I can set you up with some sort of contact. You will meet people who moved here from California all the time. My husband moved here 15 years ago from San Diego. More and more people are coming to Sioux Falls because it's an easy place to make a living. Hopefully things can continue to stay that way.....

Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 PM

400 posts, read 764,886 times
Hey San Diego-
I see you're getting lots of good advice from the group here.
Promised you a great yoga instructor, so here's the info...

Gretchen Borgum
www.youtube.com/user/gretchenborgum
gretchenbrogum@gmail.com

Also, I'll DM you her cell # (don't wanna post that for the whole world)

An attached greenhouse?? A man after my own heart. I have degrees in Horticulture and Landscape Design and a houseful of plants.

I agree that renting for a year would be a great compromise. There are some older buildings in the downtown area that are being remodeled into studios and apartments. I-229 isn't too far away, neither is 1-29, so getting around town during rush hour (such as it is here) is not that big of a deal.

If you need any other info, let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls