Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:36 AM

13 posts, read 37,434 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,
Thank you all for the great information. This website Sioux Falls Jobs, Rentals and Entertainment - South Dakota was especially helpful and is the best all-in-one source of Sioux Falls info that I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 06:52 AM

193 posts, read 786,229 times
That is a really good website!!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,585 times
Sandiegotosf, Here's another website...
Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's a good website for the basics of SF.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:28 PM

77 posts, read 250,805 times
Default In the same boat.

We are in the exact same boat as you. We are both from South Dakota but have lived away for several years. My husband has a great job offer to go back to, but I am hesitant for many of the same reasons as your wife.

As far as an independent theater in Sioux Falls, that is one thing that is really lacking and doesn't seem to be progressing. I am used to living in places with lots of art house or independent theaters (Portland, OR at the moment), and would really miss them if living in Sioux Falls. I know that there has been some work to get the State Theater up and running to show independent movies, but seems to be incredibly slow progress. Anyway, that part scares me a little about moving to the area.

We are thinking about doing as was suggested to you - trying it for a couple of years to see how it goes. That way if things go terribly wrong, we can at least say that we tried.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,712,662 times
Sioux Falls really doesn't have much for an Indie-arts scene but Omaha has a very strong up-and-coming Indie scene and so does Mineapolis. Both are not far from Sioux Falls.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:36 AM

393 posts, read 1,069,404 times
at the end of the day, you have to do what is best for your family. While your job should not define you, a good job offer is very difficult to walk away from. By "good" I mean a job where you can earn a better than average wage for your skill set, but even more, something you don't dread getting up to go do and end up feeling like a slave... If you have a job where you actually leave the house excited to go to work, you are blessed beyond 99.9999% of the planet.

On one hand, if you go to live in a place you have all sorts of mental blocks against because your husband (or wife) has a good job offer, you may end up resenting him (or her) and end up leaving. On the other, if your husband (or wife) turns down an offer that may not come along again, they may end up resenting you for it and leaving...

Ultimately, it would be nice to have a way to meet in the middle and make things work for both parties, but typically LIFE does not work that way.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:00 PM

41 posts, read 131,957 times
Hey sandiegotoSf, my hubby and I just moved to Sioux Falls from Hawaii, and although we are not in the same situation as you are, I just have to tell you that I absolutely LOVE it here, granted I have not been thru a winter here yet, only what we have had so far. Obviously the cost of living from Hawaii to here is very large, actually 46% cheaper here, that was a big "pro" for us. But I have found that there is somuch to do, if you want to be busy. I love the bike trail, I have seen one of the dog parks, and the parks are beautiful. All the replies to your thread are right on the money, and I hope you and your wife come to a decision that will make both of you happy. Good Luck !!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:00 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Kao, it's so good to hear from you. I was just thinking about you the other day and wondered how you're doing since it's gotten chilly. Sounds like you're all settled and loving it here.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:16 PM

13 posts, read 37,434 times
Hi Kao,
I spent a little time reading the forum before I posted. I read your entire thread about your move here from Hawaii. Welcome! I am so glad to hear you are enjoying it so much.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their encouragement; and realistic advice. I truly think she would love Sioux Falls if she just gives it a chance, but I don't want to drag her here. Who knows, maybe in a few years you'll see us opening an independent theater or something in town.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:31 PM

15 posts, read 72,248 times
We lived in Sioux Falls for 12 years. I currently live in a mild climate, but there are times I LONG for Sioux Falls. We live in Arkansas and I really, really love it here. That's the thing really, you can be happy ANYWHERE if you decide to be happy. Sioux Falls is a wonderful place to raise a family. After seeing some less than par schools here, Sioux Falls seems like Utopia as far as public education is concerned.

That coupled with the cost of living, affordable housing etc is OUT OF THIS WORLD! And we live in Arkansas - but SD has NO state income tax, that is a huge benefit. You could give your wife her dream home - with heated floors! Buy her a car with heated seats and STILL not pay what you would for a home in San Diego.

Sioux Falls is a fantastic place to raise a family. And once you get to know people, they are genuine and loving. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Oh, and here is a theater linkie - enjoy!
Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
View detailed profiles of: