U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-17-2008, 05:36 PM

31 posts, read 28,948 times
Default Moving to Sioux Falls from Cleveland

hi everybody,
I am a physician in-training right now, will be done with my residency next June. I got a job offer in Sioux Falls, money is good (~ 50K higher than the average of the other offers from Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, etc). I'm married, my wife is finishing up her masters and will be looking for a full time job next summer as well. we have 2 kids, by that time they'll be 3 years (girl) & 18 months (boy). I wanted to get some input from you guys about such a move from Cleveland to Sioux Falls. we're wondering if there are activities to keep the kids busy while we're at work which is gonna be full time for both of us. right now we have family in Cleveland and they're a huge help taking care of the kids, sometimes they take them over for a full day. obviously this is not gonna be an option if we move to SD, any suggestions or ideas? we really appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 05:54 PM

17,941 posts, read 13,037,955 times
Congrats on the job. And upcoming practice. Sioux Falls has an excellent medical community. Yes there are all sorts of activites in Sioux Falls.

I believe Delta Airlines might have a direct flight to Cinci to Sioux Falls... I don't know if they do any more.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,387,316 times
Congrats on the job offer! I would take it if I were you .
Are you talking about a daycare? Or what kind of activities?
What is your wife's master degree in? Just curious
SF has many great daycares with genuine people who care.

Agree with rjl78, Sioux Falls has a top-notch health care field.

Any other info you want on Sioux Falls, just ask, I can help you as much as I can.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,211,578 times
Conratulations.

Sioux Falls is a great area to be in and a great place to be in. The city is very clean and the economy is faring well compared to most areas of the country. As for kids activities, there are plenty of activities that kids can join and become involved in.

I can also help you also, being from the Sioux Falls area.

MJ1986 will offer excellent advice and is a very helpful member in the forum.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 AM

Thank you so much for your replies and kind words. my wife's masters in in Health care communications, so she'll be looking for a job with one of the hospitals too. we're basically looking for supervised activites or daycare where the kids can spend the whole day and have some good educational activities and lots of fun as well! what kind of activities are available in Sioux Falls and are daycare places reliable and of good quality?

Old 11-19-2008, 02:01 PM

400 posts, read 718,089 times
ledo
you should google the hospitals here in town. Pretty sure that each one offers daycare for employee's children. That would be a possibility for covering the children's time while you're at work and would also allow you to "pop in" to see them periodically. There are also lots of different "schools" ,for lack of a better term, for little ones - such as wee ones gyms. One of my husband's relatives lives here in town and he and his wife are both doctors, they have 3 girls and no other family here in town. They always had good luck finding great care givers for their girls while they were working.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:45 PM

ledo, I don't have kids (yet ), so I'm not sure about specific daycares. One of my co-workers has her child at one of the Apple Tree Daycares in Sioux Falls, and she is really happy with it.
I'm not sure about the city/state laws/ordinances about being a "licensed" daycare, but I would just be sure it is.

Some daycares also have video surveillance... Might be some else to think about, if you are worried about leaving your children in someone else's hands.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:02 AM

191 posts, read 492,319 times
I know that the Apple Tree daycares offer many activities for the children during the day. There is some negativity around town about them, but I think it's moms complaining about someone else taking care of their kids. I think sometimes moms just like to complain when they can't be the ones to be home with their kids all the time. A good resource for you and your wife to check out regarding advice on daycares is www.siouxfallsmomslikeme.com
This is a forum website where you'll find lots of moms online sharing their opinions about stuff going on in town.
My kids are 2 and 4 and are in gymnastics. There are lots of other activities like dance and soccer that you can involve your children in, too. If you're moving in the summertime, your transition should be pretty smooth!!

Old 11-23-2008, 03:35 PM

Thanks so much for the great info and that very good web site. we really appreciate it. one more question, we buy a lot of organic groceries and produce (most of our stuff), so we're always shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's here in Cleveland. I know that neither have branches in Sioux Falls, but is there a good alternative, does the local Walmart or the local grocery stores have good organic food selection of good quality?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:46 PM

I know that Hy-Vee, ( Hy-Vee :: ) which is a chain grocery store with 5 locations in SF has a decent size organic section. All 5 also have a registered dietitian on staff...I've always have had the impression that they really value health-related products/issues.
Here's two more smaller stores with organic groceries:
Health Basket Nutrition Stop, Sioux Falls, SD : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

East Dakota Natural Foods, Sioux Falls, SD : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls