U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM

18 posts, read 81,517 times
Default Best downtown loft in Sioux Falls

I am a physician from Buffalo, NY who will be moving with my wife and a cat to Sioux Falls next June. I have been looking into renting a loft first before making a buying commitment. We plan to live initially around downtown area since we are not used to communities smaller than Buffalo. I can't really tell by pictures or discriptions which loft is the most upscale in Sioux Falls. Can some one help me out? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 07:10 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,386,768 times
What lofts were you looking at? Generally, the more expensive, the more upscale.

Downtown lofts in Sioux Falls are a newer thing to the city. Sioux Falls does have "upscale" apartment complexes that are safe, and newly constructed.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,210,771 times
There are a few apartment complexes, more so in the southern part of Sioux Falls that have underground parking and some that have indoor pools, hot tubs, and fitness rooms. Check out Lloyd Companies and The Dunham Company. These two real estate/property management companies have some upscale apartment complexes, although many of these are outside downtown. Downtown has a growing number of lofts. There will be more in the next few years with the Uptown project and other downtown projects.

From my experience, Lloyd Companies was very helpful.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks! When I googled "Lofts Sioux Falls"... I get the following: Crane Centre, Larson Square, Residences at the National Security buiding, Gouley Building and the Carnegie Building. I was just wondering if any one had any opinion about one over the other. As far as the nice communities on the southern part of the city... can any one give me names? Thank you again for your attention. Buffalo.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:19 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,210,771 times
For single family homes, Tuthill Park area, McKennan Park area, Prairie Green, Auburn Hills, Bradfeldt Park, and Platinum Valley are examples of communities on the southside that are decent. Prairie Green is on the pricy side and is one of the more expensive areas of Sioux Falls to live in. Tomar Park is an area with 1960s, 1970s, 1980s houses and McKennan park has 1920s to 1960s era houses and is well-maintained area. The older houses go for a higher amount, but have a lot charm.

The west and east sides have good places too. On the west side, Silver Valley, Roosevelt Park, and Aspen Heights are good areas. Aspen Heights have townhomes that are nice and have good views (even though it is on the outskirts of Sioux Falls). The east side have some up and coming areas. Canterbury Village is a new neighborhood that is in a scenic and hilly area of Sioux Falls. There are more neighborhoods, but they are not coming to my mind at this time.

For apartments, check out Dunham Company and Lloyd Companies websites. The two have a lot of rentals throughout the city. Steeplechase apartments are west of I-29 and are handy to shopping, restaurants, and conveniences. The links to both are listed below.
Property Management (http://www.dunhamcompany.com/propertyManagement.aspx - broken link)
lloydcompanies.com
Home - Sioux Falls South Dakota Luxury Apartments

Here is another helpful site.
Sioux Falls Apartments, Houses, and Homes Rental

Depending on what you want to spend, there are some very nice apartments.

The Doneagle Pointe Apartments are very nice apartments and along 57th St. near I-29. The apartments are near shopping, restaurants, and theaters. Platinum Valley is another such complex and it has underground parking and is on 69th and Louise area and is in a handy location. Deer Run is along 57th St. and in a very nice area of the city.

I recommend apartments in the South Cliff (by 57th St. and 69th St.). Other recommended areas are in the area of 41st and Sertoma, Washington High School area, 57th and Sertoma and any apartments along Sertoma Ave. area, 57th St., and 69th St. areas.

There are decent apartment complexes in more established areas of the city such as 33rd and Kiwanis area and downtown (lofts).

The northern areas of town north of 18th St. and between I-29 and I-229 outside the dowtown/Falls Park areas have some run down areas here and there but are not bad compared to dingy areas in larger cities.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:43 PM

22 posts, read 111,672 times
I'll try to cover as many as I can...

The Residences at Security National are nice. I think the largest they offer is 2 bed/bath + den. It's an old bank building and they built a community room out of the old safe. There's also a little fitness center in the basement and a patio off the second floor.
http://www.legacysiouxfalls.com/Apartments/module/company_property_info/company_property%5Bid%5D/4572/ (broken link)

Legacy also owns the Carnegie Lofts. Looks like they only have one available, it's a 3 bedroom. I've actually been in it and it has a real open floor plan. Some of the appliances are not totally up to date. You can rent or buy.
Overview (http://www.legacysiouxfalls.com/Apartments/module/company_property_info/company_property%5Bid%5D/8692/ - broken link)

Other Legacy properties downtown:
Crane Centre.
Overview (http://www.legacysiouxfalls.com/Apartments/module/company_property_info/company_property%5Bid%5D/866/ - broken link)

Rock Island. (I'm looking at these later this week)
Overview (http://www.legacysiouxfalls.com/Apartments/module/company_property_info/company_property%5Bid%5D/14246/ - broken link)

The Gourley and Harvester Lofts are both really cool old buildings with some interesting floor plans.
Gourley Properties :: Welcome

Shriver's Square is working on converting to lofts. I've been in a few on the top floor and they are really nice. I'm going to be looking at these shortly as well.
Apartments and Other Rentals - Renters Guide Magazine - Shriver Square Lofts

Larson Square is in Uptown, which is the big up and coming area of downtown. Nicely converted from an old furniture store into lofts. I've been in 2 units and I wasn't particularly fond of either floor plans, but it's going to be a great area in the coming years. There's a good pizza place on the ground floor.
Apartments and Other Rentals - Renters Guide Magazine - Larson Square Lofts

Some other downtown properties you might be interested in...

Brownstones. These are ridiculously cheap for their size. Most are 2 bedrooms + den and porch. Real old school building, not exactly in great shape, but has a lot of character.
For Rent Brownstone Apartments at 405 S. Phillips Ave., Sioux Falls, South Dakota (http://www.myplacefinder.net/listing--40.html - broken link)

The Dakota. Lofts or 1,2 bedrooms. I've been in one, it was pretty nice but the kitchen was SMALL. Really small. I got a bad vibe from the landlord, he owns a few other historic buildings near downtown though.
The Dakota Apartments - Vintage Apartment Rentals

The Carpenter. A nice building with an interesting history. It's an old hotel converted to mixed commercial and residential. I've never been inside, but the photos I've seen looked unimpressive. They seemed nice enough, just a little blander than what I was hoping for.
http://www.greetingsfromsiouxfalls.c...Carpenter.html

There's other privately owned ones above shops and so forth that are the really nice ones, but I think most are all occupied.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:23 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,386,768 times
skate342 had some good information.
You'll have to copy/paste the links into your browser to view the info.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:14 AM

22 posts, read 111,672 times
Is there a reason the links aren't taking the BBcode?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:24 PM

393 posts, read 690,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skate342 View Post
Is there a reason the links aren't taking the BBcode?
I don't know. I usually copy the web addresses directly from the browser and paste them into my posts here and have good luck..

For example:
Overview]Overview (http://www.legacysiouxfalls.com/Apartments/module/company_property_info/company_property%5Bid%5D/8692/ - broken link)

Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 PM

Thank you so much for your help. I will be back to Sioux Falls in April to look at those apartments and hopefully move in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls