Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should The Arena Be Built?
Interchange of I-29/I-90 6 20.69%
Interchange of I-29/I-229 2 6.90%
Tear Down Howard Wood Field, Build it west of Current Arena 3 10.34%
Downtown 14 48.28%
None, I do Not Support the Events Center. 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:36 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times

Advertisements

I see that I haven't commented on this yet .

I'm in favor of either a downtown location or at the Howard Field location. Howard Field, and the Arena for that matter, are in desperate need of expensive repair.

I think, in the end, that they will tear down Howard Field, and build it on that land that Sanford (I think) donated, which is west of the airport near Benson Road & Westport Ave.

Here is a great link, for a recent video made by the Events Center committee...They toured the events centers in Fargo, Sioux City, and Omaha (You need Quick Time installed to view it... go the right side, and click on the link under Attachments):
siouxfalls.org: Events Center Task Force Video Update (http://www.siouxfalls.org/News/2008/December/15/event_center_update - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 PM

11 posts, read 23,126 times
I work for Daktronics and therefore get involved in a great number of stadium and arena projects. Generally speaking, these are being built downtown in cities of all sizes. The reasons have been cited already: city identity, redevelopment, new development, etc. Imagine what downtown would look like today if both the convention center and the arena were downtown. We made a mistake many years ago -- I fear we are about to repeat it. Guess how I voted

Old 12-27-2008, 06:32 PM

I would love an events center downtown... the only thing is the streets/traffic... If it was built in the area of the new Cherapa Place, obviously 6th Street can't handle the heavy traffic. Not to mention Minnesota Ave is so congested when everyone gets off of work. Everything seems really tight down there.
Maybe it would work...And if the officials/engineers/whoever deemed it would, then I'd be all for it.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:55 PM

343 posts, read 1,084,735 times
DOWNTOWN! DOWNTOWN! DOWNTOWN!

Putting something like an arena downtown can rejuvenate the area!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicsFan93 View Post
DOWNTOWN! DOWNTOWN! DOWNTOWN!

Putting something like an arena downtown can rejuvenate the area!
Sonic, good to hear from you.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:06 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I am fine with either a downtown or Arena location. The task force and city need to do studies on both and let the people decide on what is best. I would like the see Sioux Falls take a serious look and quit lolly-gaging at this point. Yes, there are other concerns. Cities such as Sioux Falls should be allowed to tack on another cent tax for entertainment, etc. to pay for the new center. It is a local issue. This has been brought up in the Legislature and got shot down, which is unfortunate since it is a local control issue. Why should Pierre decide how much cities can have for their sales tax amounts as opposed to the communities themselves with greater flexibility?

Old 12-30-2008, 04:12 PM

16 posts, read 50,513 times
I personally do not like it when citys build arenas downtown. Traffic is usually a pain to get to and when leaving events. Parking can be a real pain depending on how it is set up. I usually avoid events or businesses downtown in any city if I can. I have never been downtown Siuox Falls so it might be different. I like thing built out in the open with easy access. It would be nice if the Stampede could play in a new building.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 77,610 times
FSD in 100% right. Central location in an already developing area that could compliment a new EC and vice versa. Take the Arena and convert it into exanded flex space for the Convention Center. Do the HWF improvements all at the same time and save time/expense of doing it seperately.

Build a 12K (expandable to 16K down the road) cool, modern, Green Event Center that is a draw in itself. You'd get millions of $$ in new hotels/shops/retail and better access as the tracks are moved out. Plus, it would help the neighborhoods nearby which would also be an improvement.

The access in an out of Events won't be any worse than going to the SE Fair, Jazzfest or Lifelight. With the exception being downtown you'd have some places to go and eat/drink/shop within a couple blocks walk.

The city is growing in all directions, a DT EC would help balance that growth and slow the sprawl.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 77,610 times
Plus, how many chances do you get to build something really cool next to the river and the City namesake? You might see all those areas like Weber st down to Morrels cleaned up. You could build the EC first, then renovate the CC & HWF later so all your facilities aren't torn up at the same time = lost business/revenue.

Plus, if you put an EC in the 'burbs, you are more than likely going to be seing some NIMBY resistance from the nearby resdential neighborhoods as they didn't move to the 'burbs to be next to some big, concrete box that occasionally floods them with traffic.

People who move downtown more there for the urban environment, they'd have no problem with an EC.

One last point, the hotels out by the Arena and the new ones that would go up next to a DTEC would be close enough to draw off both facilities.

Downtown is a no brainer.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:08 PM

I'm still a firm believer that Downtown Sioux Falls can't handle the traffic generated from an Events Center. I'd love a downtown location... but, Minnesota Avenue gets way too congested the way it is. I say, build it out in the open, and let it develop. Howard Wood is way too out-dated, and with the cost to improve it vs. the cost to build a new complex...it makes no sense to update it.
Hope the city planners get it right. I've seen time and time again how senseless they are when it comes to planning!
Look at the I-29 & I-229 area.... The SD-DOT isn't being proactive when it comes to that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls