Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times

Advertisements

OK you just made me feel much better since you said they were LEGAL and were seeking refuge from a horrible life. It's also impressive that they want to learn English because that is what we speak around here. I have the highest respect for people like that. And thank you for setting me straight on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 09:51 AM

123 posts, read 747,519 times
I was considering a move to Sioux Falls myself, and was offput by the amount of "diversity" touted by the city. Liberals cannot win elections ( i.e. be in power and force their beliefs on others) without an underclass. They keep the poor dependant on them in order to secure their votes. In areas like SD, the liberals purposely import the poor under the guise of "diversity". They did the same thing here in Ohio. Clinton made Columbus, Ohio the drop off point for anyone moving from Somalia. Now we are overrun with poor somalis, most on welfare. And of course, they all vote Democrat. This was a purposeful move to try to change this to a blue state.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:26 PM

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sioux-...th-Dakota.html

Ulster, before you toss the idea of moving to Sx. Falls to the wayside, check out the profile for Sx. Falls. I don't want to keep repeating myself because it comes out politically incorrect, BUT South Dakota is NOT diverse. There may be a few people with different cultures who have moved in, but throughout the entire state you will find mainly whites and Sioux. And I have no desire to debate that statement. It's simply a statistical fact.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:44 PM

123 posts, read 747,519 times
Good to know. I'll look into it some more. I love upland bird hunting, so SD would be heaven for that.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
http://www.city-data.com/city/Sioux-...th-Dakota.html

Ulster, before you toss the idea of moving to Sx. Falls to the wayside, check out the profile for Sx. Falls. I don't want to keep repeating myself because it comes out politically incorrect, BUT South Dakota is NOT diverse. There may be a few people with different cultures who have moved in, but throughout the entire state you will find mainly whites and Sioux. And I have no desire to debate that statement. It's simply a statistical fact.

I checked out the stats. It's funny, you walk into your wonderful neighborhood grocery store (possibly a Wal-Mart type...) and you would never know that Caucasian is the majority here in Sioux Falls! Or take a walk downtown in the evening... It's all good. Just as long as you don't get someone that cannot understand you saying "Dr. Pepper" in the drive-thru at McDonalds. That was interesting, to say the least.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,549 times
The only thing I don't like about sioux falls is the traffic on weekends and 41st st is terrible. Personnally sioux falls is to big for me and to much traffic but everything else is great. I think I would live in one of the smaller communities outside of sioux falls instead of right in sioux falls.!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:31 PM

606 posts, read 698,741 times
will lack of diversity be a problem? as long as the city is tolerant of minorities,it's okay I think.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:08 AM

25 posts, read 86,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExilefromCa View Post
Hi everyone,

My family is considering a move to Sioux Falls and I would like to get a balanced perspective from people who have been been there. From what I have been reading, Sioux Falls sounds like a fantastic place to live. It has everything we are looking for... jobs, a seminary (I'm a pre-ministry student), lots of activity and culture, and active churches. What concerns me is the fact that I haven't really heard anything negative about the place, other than that it has cold winters (which is fine with me; I LOVE the snow and even a good blizzard sometimes) So, I would like to hear some of the less exciting aspects of Sioux Falls and get a feel for what to expect. Here are a few things that I have on my mind, but any other insights that you might have would be very much appreciated.

1) I'm a native of California, now living in Montana, and I enjoy outdoor activities in the mountains and woods (camping, hiking, gold prospecting, etc.). Now, it doesn't take Lewis and Clark to tell you that South Dakota is mostly flat, with the exception of the western section of the state where the Black Hills are. I'm concerned that there won't be much to do in the way of outdoor activities around the Sioux Falls area. Other than enjoying life in the city, what do people do for fun there? In reality, how "flat" is the Sioux Falls area? Do you have some hills or scenic grasslands at least?

2) I recently read an article on "diversity" in Sioux Falls that indicated that a lot of foreigners from Africa and Asia are moving into the region in response to the thriving economy. The article indicated that over 60 different languages and dialects are now spoken in Sioux Falls. Now, I don't have anything against other cultures, but I would like to live in a city that is predominantly American and where English is spoken as the predominant language. Our family moved out of Southern California because we wanted to "move back to America" and live with native English speakers... we felt like we were living in a foreign port! What's the cultural climate like in Sioux Falls?

3) Our family has a history of allergic reactions to pesticides, so I am sort of concerned about living so close to commercial farms that are sprayed on a regular basis. How close to Sioux Falls are the crops and will pesticide use be an issue??

Thanks for any input you can provide!
-
Bill Meade
IT DIDN'T EMBARRASS YOU TO WRITE THIS?! If you don't realize how awful this sounded *obvious racism* someone REALLY should tell you! It seriously left me speechless.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 25,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
will lack of diversity be a problem? as long as the city is tolerant of minorities,it's okay I think.
I can only go by hearsay because I'm not a minority, but I think you'll find most people pretty tolerant. And I think in the years to come you'll notice the adult population becoming much more diverse, as 25% of the elementary school population is now minority (most from refugee & immigrant families).

Old 05-28-2007, 12:29 PM

We spent most of Friday over in Sioux Falls. We love to go to Falls Park to relax. We're avid walkers so we walked the Phillips to the Falls from both the back side of the River and the front side of the River.

It was a beautiful walk. The Sioux doesn't seem as full or as wild as we thought it would be. The Phillips area is very nice now. The storefronts were impressive, but what we really liked was the redrock in the sidewalk, the cascade, and so many of the sculptures that line both sides of the street. My fave sculptures were the two that were done by one artist. One was called "Puddle jumper" and it was of a child who actually appeared to be "puddling" in the rain. The other sculpture that we liked was of the child with it's tongue sticking out catching raindrops. Most of the artwork was very impressive. Some of it we weren't sure about though. We couldn't tell if it was classy art or if it was what's classified as "junk art".

For people who don't like a lot of walking, they have a shuttle that will take you to Phillips Ave. and back to the Park free of charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls