Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
Ahh, I get it now. When our guard unit used to travel to or through Pierre, that is where we would eat. I'll never forget one day, my chili burger was the last to come out and we were pressed for time. The person dropped it on the floor when handing it to me, then looked at me and asked if I wanted a different one.
lol.. WOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I had a theory paper in school once that if the capital of South Dakota was Chamberlain-Oacoma it'd be a thriving metropolitan area. I got an "A".
You deserved it! I love Chamberlain-Oacoma.

Random South Dakota history:
The town of Ordway, north of Aberdeen, was once a candidate for the then territorial capitol. The town no longer exists. I have relatives in the area, so I've drive past it every once in a while.
Right now, the town site has 1 house, possibly a second. The grain elevator was burned to the ground, I believe.

Sorry, random change of subject... I'm a big SD history buff!

Tourism News Press Releases - South Dakota Tourism (http://www.travelsd.com/newsroom/pressreleases/tourism.asp?id=597&origin=rss - broken link)

Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Not to undermine Pierre, but would anyone be opposed if the capital was moved to Sioux Falls, Rapid City, or even Chamberlain??? I mean Chamberlain at least has the Interstate.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:10 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Not to undermine Pierre, but would anyone be opposed if the capital was moved to Sioux Falls, Rapid City, or even Chamberlain??? I mean Chamberlain at least has the Interstate.
I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it'd probably put a huge dent in Pierre's economy.

It seems like they moved it from Yankton to Pierre since it's more centrally located. Guess I've never paid attention when I looked at maps. Is that the way most states do it?

Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
The nice thing about Pierre is it is in fact central. So what if its not on the Interstate. There is finally a 4 lane road from I-90 to Pierre. The roads in and out of Pierre are good. It is a 3 hour drive to any corner of the state from Pierre. Pierre also has a good airport and commercial service. That wouldn't be a case if the capitol was moved to Rapid, Sioux Falls, or Chamberlain.

Also considering the amount of money the state would have to spend to move everything. There are about a dozen or more good sized state building needed to fulfill the needs so the state can operate. The cost of construction and relocating everyone would cost far more than the state or its citizens can recover.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it'd probably put a huge dent in Pierre's economy.

It seems like they moved it from Yankton to Pierre since it's more centrally located. Guess I've never paid attention when I looked at maps. Is that the way most states do it?
Jammie, most actually do... It's funny... Pierre is almost the exact middle of the state.

The exceptions are (some of them)... like Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Wyoming, and Florida. I'm not sure about the smaller northeast states.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:01 PM

42 posts, read 172,024 times
Default Back to Costco

I'm a Costco addict. I've been searching for three years for a place to call home, but only those locales within reasonable driving distance to a Costco are under consideration.

If Costco opens in Sioux Falls, maybe they will eventually open one in Rapid City. I wrote to Costco asking if they have any future plans for a Costco in RC and they replied in the negative. I'll move to Rapid City if Costco would come there.

I recently went to a Super Target. They have really nice grocery stores, but they seem to be few and far between.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:40 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
There is a Costco in Westminster, CO. About 5 hours from Rapid City... if it helps!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:18 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
nice. They actually built one right in my former hometown, of Grafton, WI. I was shocked to hear that. It's amazing the stores that have went in there since I moved to SD 4 years ago.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 6,255 times
Smile Moving to Sioux Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I've heard from reliable sources (DM me if you want info ) that Costco has officially committed to building a store on the east side of Sioux Falls. The store will be open within 1 1/2 years.
I'm not sure on the specific location, but I'm guessing the Dawley Farm Village shopping district.

Please tell me this is true. I am moving up to Sioux Falls from the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Is this a done deal? Where did you find this out? Do you know of any other new chains comming to the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls