Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:07 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,910,369 times

Advertisements

The "Where Sioux Falls is Going" link is very interesting. I would like to see a third Wal-Mart. I would not be surpised if Hy-Vee builds another two stores in the next four or five years. Definitely after it adds on to its 26th and Marion location and it remodels its 26th and Sycamore location. Good places for Hy-Vee include the southern part of Sioux Falls mentioned by fsdflyer, NW part of SF (on Benson Rd. or SD 38 right off of I-29), and in the Roosevelt HS area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 AM

4,849 posts, read 6,873,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Very good point. Towns like Canton, Lennox, Dell Rapids, Worthing, and Hartford are growing but not near as fast as Tea, Brandon, and Harrisburg but are showing strong and steady growth. Many towns between 1,000 to 3,500 outside of the SF metro, SC Metro in SD, and Black Hills region are losing people, so it is good to see the neigboring towns holding their own and growing steadily.
Strong, steady growth is ideal. It's better than the flying by the seat of the pants, out of control growth that Harrisburg has been encountering.

I think Harrisburg needs take a breath. Population over the last 10 years has grown from 750 to 4,500. City services have not kept up. Their sewer lagoons are maxed out now and they've got tight water restrictions. Utilities are high and will be jumping when they start trying to connect their sewer lines to the SF water treatment facility in order to solve the lagoon problem.

Tea's growth has been far more controlled. They've balanced business growth with population growth.

I would put Brandon's growth as more steady.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,384,632 times
If growth continues, in 50 years Mitchell will be a Sioux Falls suburb. Just glad I don't have to worry about being around then. Can you imagine having to deal with all the traffic or the fact that it'll be one HUGE city? I prefer nice little getaway trips over to Sx. Falls and enjoying the wide open scenery while driving there.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:05 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,399,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
If growth continues, in 50 years Mitchell will be a Sioux Falls suburb. Just glad I don't have to worry about being around then. Can you imagine having to deal with all the traffic or the fact that it'll be one HUGE city? I prefer nice little getaway trips over to Sx. Falls and enjoying the wide open scenery while driving there.
Jammie, growth is good!

Plus, Mitchell becoming a suburb of Sioux Falls won't happen even in my lifetime.
The city limits of SF will connect with Brandon, and eventually Harrisburg and Tea.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 PM

106 posts, read 343,690 times
Growth is good, however only if your prepared for it, which IMO Harrisburg did a terrible job of. To me Harrisburg still does not feel like a suburb, even though it is getting very close to Sioux Falls. You drive through the east side of town in the old part and it feels like your in a small town in the middle of the country. But then you head west or north then Boom goes the dynamite, houses pop up everywhere.

I do not like Tea. I think Tea to me (atleast where I have been in it) is very small town ish and I just don't like the atmosphere.

If I had to choose I would choose Harrisburg because I think it will prosper in the future once all the problems are fixed with the Sewer etc thing which havent been in the news lately. There needs to be a light at Cliff and Willow, and I would also like seeing Willow and Cliff become four lanes in just a short stretch to keep it affordable.

I would definetly like too see some retail office development around that corner too, such as a Walgreens or a Lewis Express or something of that sorts. However when it comes to big box it would make much more sense to move that up further north towards Sioux Falls.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:26 PM

I think that more businesses, maybe not big box, will likely flock to Harrisburg due to the sheer increase in population numbers. Once it hits 5,000 or 10,000, it will definitely get the chain places such as McDonalds, Taco Johns, Dairy Queen, Pizza Hut, Subway, Taco Bell, and possibly a Sonic. Hopefully, it will get more services too, which it will.

Maybe the downturn is good for Harrisburg in the sense for it to catch up before it roars with robust growth again.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:23 PM

I agree with Chris. Chains look at population numbers, and growth as well, but really focus on the population count. I'm sure you know this.

The problem with these small towns (Harrisburg, Tea), is that the city planners (might be called by a different name... Public Works, etc.) are not adequately educated. They aren't educated on growth and planning.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:45 PM

I think that Tea is ahead of the curve and Brandon. Tea was like Harrisburg back in the 1990s and was somewhat hod-podged, but has improved in planning and being more of a balanced community since the 2003-2004 era.

Once Harrisburg and Tea have full time city administrators (which deal with zoning, growth matters, etc.) to handle the day-to-day management and take some of the pressure off of the mayor and city council, the two cities will become better rounded. Tea has a planning and zoning person, which helps but should have a city administrator to oversee city affairs and staff.

For Lennox, the city has hired a city adminsitrator and it has helped the city in recruiting a new employer to the town and with the process of getting grants and financing to help with the improvement of infrastructure (and replacement of old infrastructure such as water mains, roads, etc.). The city is not growing by leaps and bounds but is growing steadily but can do better in my opinion.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:39 AM

106 posts, read 343,690 times
I think Harrisburg has a City Planner, but he is very young, and in fact, he lives in Sioux Falls!

Their city hall is a trailer thing, which kind of digusts me for the size of a city, but then again, they needed something bigger than what they had. (I'm not in any whay saying trailers are disgusting, I'm just saying trailers used for city hall's are very strange...)

Lennox will probably start growth much later than Tea and Harrisburg have, I would probably say within the next 10-15 years when Harrisburg and Tea really start to morph into Sioux Falls. Heck, Worthing at one time was growing fast but it seems all that demand moved a few miles north to Harrisburg.

I don't know about you, but it seems like everytime we are with friends or someone, they always know a person who has either built a house in Harrisburg or moved down there. Very interesting to hear that, I've heard it many times, but then again, they could all be talking about the same person :0.

By the way, I know it would involve a ton of state SDDOT and Road Construction people from Harrisburg, Pierre, and Sioux Falls. But I think it would be a great investment to have a four lane with median highway going from Harrisburg to Sioux Falls that I think i mentioned earlier. Have that highway either be Cliff or Minnesota, and the speed limit 40 to 50 mph. It would cost many millions, but it would be a great investment towards the future. I could see it happening... maybe when I'm in office?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdflyer View Post
I think Harrisburg has a City Planner, but he is very young, and in fact, he lives in Sioux Falls!

Their city hall is a trailer thing, which kind of digusts me for the size of a city, but then again, they needed something bigger than what they had. (I'm not in any whay saying trailers are disgusting, I'm just saying trailers used for city hall's are very strange...)

Lennox will probably start growth much later than Tea and Harrisburg have, I would probably say within the next 10-15 years when Harrisburg and Tea really start to morph into Sioux Falls. Heck, Worthing at one time was growing fast but it seems all that demand moved a few miles north to Harrisburg.

I don't know about you, but it seems like everytime we are with friends or someone, they always know a person who has either built a house in Harrisburg or moved down there. Very interesting to hear that, I've heard it many times, but then again, they could all be talking about the same person :0.

By the way, I know it would involve a ton of state SDDOT and Road Construction people from Harrisburg, Pierre, and Sioux Falls. But I think it would be a great investment to have a four lane with median highway going from Harrisburg to Sioux Falls that I think i mentioned earlier. Have that highway either be Cliff or Minnesota, and the speed limit 40 to 50 mph. It would cost many millions, but it would be a great investment towards the future. I could see it happening... maybe when I'm in office?
I think Harrisburg has really become overwhelmed.

The city of Sioux Falls has a Cliff Avenue Study out...
siouxfalls.org: Cliff Avenue Corridor Study (http://www.siouxfalls.org/PublicWorks/special_projects/cliff_ave_corridor.aspx - broken link)

I've driven Cliff to Harrisburg... it's busy, but I think Highway 42 east out of SF is worse...

And no, I do not work for the city of SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls