U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 AM

17,629 posts, read 22,060,114 times
Yes it is true. However, I don't think the Black Hills have enough altitude to do the trick. I lived in the Black Hills for 20 years and found Rattlers just about anywhere.

Now I live in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming. We have rattlers up to about 6500 ft. Never seen one above that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,655 times
Thank you Elkhunter for your response, I can handle garter snakes but the fear of rattlers is more then I can handle so I may rethink moving to the Black Hills area.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:10 PM

17,629 posts, read 22,060,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWondering1 View Post
Thank you Elkhunter for your response, I can handle garter snakes but the fear of rattlers is more then I can handle so I may rethink moving to the Black Hills area.
I wouldn't worry about them. They are not thick in the Hills. I used to rock crawl off the beaten trail and I'd find maybe one or two a summer. It's not like you are going to walk up on them everywhere.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 AM

509 posts, read 831,289 times
Yea, I lived out there for about six years when I was younger and I am out there at least once a year and I had heard of only 1 time that someone I knew got bit by a rattler, I think he got bit by Bear Butte north of Sturgis but all the other places I've ever been in the Hills I haven't seen them at all.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,044 times
Can you give the specifics on the water skier killed by Rattlesnakes in Chamberlain? It sounds more like an urban legend.

I've lived in Chamberlain for 16 years, my brother about 32 years, and have had family there since around 1940 and have never heard of this. There is a popular urban legend involving water skiers and rattlesnakes or cottonmouths but it is fictitious.

I'm not calling you a liar but think more than likely you've been victim of an urban legend email that was renamed as happening in Chamberlain.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:36 PM

6,734 posts, read 8,727,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDhomesweethome View Post
Can you give the specifics on the water skier killed by Rattlesnakes in Chamberlain? It sounds more like an urban legend.
I'd bet you're right. I was told the same story about cottonmouths at a lake near me when I lived in Texas 45 years ago. There were a lot of snakes in that area, but I'm pretty sure it was an "urban legend". I've read of similar stories on the internet but have never read anything like that from a reliable newspaper or web news site.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 986 times
Default gartersnakes

I just heard they found a huge ball of snakes when they tore down a house In Harrisburg, SD.
How do you get rid of them and where do they come from? Does everyone have snakes under their houses? Many houses in that town are loaded with snakes.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 AM

509 posts, read 831,289 times
My neighbor has found a couple in her basement and I have some in my backyard but they come from a drainage ditch, haven't had many problems with them though, just running them over with the mower a couple times. lol

Old 09-21-2011, 01:05 PM

159 posts, read 129,776 times
I read the title of this thread and automatically thought it was about the new mayor and his cronies and the jamming of thenew Events Center down the peoples throat

Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 752 times
Just curious for that couple that moved to Sioux Falls SD from NY if they have had any issues with snakes at their new place. Looking to possibly move that way as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls