Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,522 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have read several of the older posts on this issue and have gained alot of knowledge through those. I was hoping to maybe get any recent updates, as it appears the city is doing quite a bit of re-development downtown. Today I accepted a position up in Pipestone MN (about 45 miles to S.F.). My wife and I are in our upper 20's with no kids, moving from St Louis, and have a very contemporary type of lifestyle/taste. Even though we are probably getting too old for it , we still love going out to upscale clubs and trendy restaurants. Consequently, I know that I will have to live nearer to S.F. and have to commute to Pipestone. I said all of that to ask these two questions:

1) In the winter months, are roads cleared well there? I have a 4-wheel drive vehicle, but I'm afraid of living that far from work and possibly somewhat regularly having to drive at very low speeds due to road conditions.

2) How developed is Brandon? Are there many businesses/restaurants there, or am I more likely to have to drive the extra distance and live in Sioux Falls? I was also considering possibly Dell Rapids, but it seems much less developed??

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited by bcrwfan; 11-17-2009 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:06 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Brandon is a splendid little town, that is growing. It is also 5 minutes from Sioux Falls.

When the weather is really bad the roads can be a regular whiz cutter their are more than plenty of crashes and vehicles in the ditches. If people would slow down and not be overconfident in their 4 wheel drive there wouldn't be that many problems. I get along just ducky with a two wheeled drive pickup. Last winter I came across South Dakota and Minnesota with a storm, roads were not good but we made it across in a rear wheeled drive car with no issues.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:17 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Yup, what RJ said. Since you've read some of the older posts, you probably already know my answer.

A 90 mile daily roundtrip during the wintertime can be quite treacherous some days. I wouldn't do it and we also have a 4 wheel drive.

Personally, I'd just live close to work and commute for my entertainment. That way you can pick and choose when to get on the roads. Your life would be much easier that way.

Also, you may want to figure out how you'll turn out with taxes. I'm sure you already know that Mn. has a state income tax and So. Dak. doesn't have one. SO, our property taxes may be higher then in Mn. You could end up with the worst of both worlds~high property tax and a state income tax plus travelling expenses.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:43 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,345 times
Only thing there Jammie is Minnesota doesn't have a sales tax on most items, so you also need to think about that too.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,522 times
I didn't even consider the tax thing. I will be renting for the 1st year, so at least initially that won't really be a concern, but still an excellent point.

At a minimum, the town that we live in (the wife is pretty particular) is going to need to have at least some of the common chain restaurants, grocery stores, etc. A town with a convenience store and a couple of mom and pop places probably won't cut it. Of the towns between S.F. and Pipestone, which of these might be the most likely to have these amenities? I'm guessing that Brandon does, but what about places like Dell Rapids, Valley Springs, anything along route 11?

Also, is anyone aware of any social networking type groups? Here in St Louis and in many other cities, we have something called the "Young Active Professionals" group that holds happy hour events and things like that.

Thanks again,
Brad

Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,345 times
Heh, I've been trying to figure a way to get to St. Louis for years, and you are trying to get out.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,579 times
I'd look at maybe Luverne, Minnesota, it has some 'chain' stores etc and its right on I90 and about 25 minutes to Sioux Falls, and I think about 30-45 minutes to Luverne there is a guy I work with from there that commutes 4 days a week.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls