Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 04:41 AM

188 posts, read 938,324 times

Advertisements

Planning another trip to Sioux Falls in September and would like to know if there is anywhere in the area we can go and experience the local Native American Culture? History, food, shopping, etc.

Thanks as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:59 PM

56 posts, read 210,586 times
There's some Native Heritage in the Sioux Falls area. There are the Sherman Park Burial Grounds and Eminija Burial Grounds. Prairie Star Indian Gallery downtown is really nice. There are wacipi's (Pow-wows) at different times of the year and are a lot of fine.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:38 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,272 times
There is a place west of Sioux Falls, near Hartford, SD called Buffalo Ridge that has a few natives come with teepees and perform dances and other things, you can try calling them and asking when they do that if you want.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 PM

21 posts, read 96,067 times
Definitely check out Prairie Star in Sioux Falls, Linda the owner is super nice and has an amazing store.
Also might want to check out pipestone mn, it's about an hour north of west of sioux falls (easy to get to via interstate and highways) but they have a couple places in town that you can buy native american pieces from, the pipestone national monument is a quarry there where Natives used to get sioux quartzite to make there pipes and the what not. might want to forgoe "fort pipestone" there though, just really gimmicky and the owners aren't the nicest peeps in the world.
I have never seen a Native food place in sioux falls, so if someone does know let me know too i love the food that i've tried out in Pine Ridge.
To find history def the pipestone national monument, there's a place close to sioux falls called Blood Run that is just south of Sioux Falls that numerous tribes throughout history have settled at. If you ask Linda at prairie star and i'm sure she could help you out a lot.

I just thought of this as i got to the end of it but September is actual a great time to come. on Sept. 23-26th there is the northern plains indian art market. It has an art show, pow-wow, and an art market to buy stuff at.
of you search it on google they do have a website ( i don't think i can provide links since i'm newer to the site)

Old 05-15-2010, 10:53 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Breeman View Post
Definitely check out Prairie Star in Sioux Falls, Linda the owner is super nice and has an amazing store.
Also might want to check out pipestone mn, it's about an hour north of west of sioux falls (easy to get to via interstate and highways) but they have a couple places in town that you can buy native american pieces from, the pipestone national monument is a quarry there where Natives used to get sioux quartzite to make there pipes and the what not. might want to forgoe "fort pipestone" there though, just really gimmicky and the owners aren't the nicest peeps in the world.
I have never seen a Native food place in sioux falls, so if someone does know let me know too i love the food that i've tried out in Pine Ridge.
To find history def the pipestone national monument, there's a place close to sioux falls called Blood Run that is just south of Sioux Falls that numerous tribes throughout history have settled at. If you ask Linda at prairie star and i'm sure she could help you out a lot.

I just thought of this as i got to the end of it but September is actual a great time to come. on Sept. 23-26th there is the northern plains indian art market. It has an art show, pow-wow, and an art market to buy stuff at.
of you search it on google they do have a website ( i don't think i can provide links since i'm newer to the site)
The pipestone quarry is still used by ONLY native americans to gather stone for their pipes. No one else is allowed to do so. I'm not sure how certain natives contact pipestone to get their stone or whether they have to get some kind of permit. I believe the reason the stone has been used by the indians for hundreds of years is that it's a softer stone, easier to form into pipes and it holds together. What I do know is that the practice is still in existence.

Sioux Falls is not a very good place to find much native american culture. The eastern sliver of SD has not maintained much Native American history with the possible exception of Flandreau and the Sisseton area. The central and western parts of the state are the places to go.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:08 AM

188 posts, read 938,324 times
Thanks for all of the replies, the Prairie Star sounds like what I'm looking for in Sioux Falls. We are going to try to be there doing the Festival but unsure for now.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 AM

93 posts, read 163,711 times
I just got back from visiting Sioux Falls (LOVE that place!), and I went to Prairie Star (thanks for mentioning it in this thread...I wouldn't have known about it otherwise!)

Prairie Star is great! The people there are very nice and helpful, and they have lots of really nice Native American art, jewelry, etc. I bought myself a ring there (not terribly cheap, but I will be wearing it all the time), and it is truly a masterpiece!

Old 01-31-2011, 04:15 AM

10 posts, read 24,644 times
Sounds Great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls