U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:25 PM

322 posts, read 707,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I have watched the first 15 mins of the game & its too boring for me. Ill watch something else on tv like a movie or baseball game (later today).
Baseball is so boring!

sorry, as a huge soccer fan sick of people bashing the sport - not you, you were cool and gave it a shot - I suddenly felt the uncontrollable urge to bash another sport - sorry about that

As for the main question in this thread, no I don't think so. Think of how popular (American) football is here in the U.S. That's just as popular - if not more so - that soccer is in many, many countries around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,362,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
According to what I've read on wikipedia it really is a fair bit like baseball except there is only one "base" aside from "home plate," the batter can elect not to run on a hit, and the batter stays at bat if he hits a "home run." Things in quotes denote that while the concept as I understand it is similar in cricket the actual thing is different.
Americans would love cricket. There are literally hundreds of runs (scores) in a game

Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 AM

9,739 posts, read 18,466,254 times
Im not putting down soccer but the game was soooo boring. I dont understand why soccer is so popular. I talked to one brit & she yelled at me & said its called football. The only football i like is american & canadian football. The english woman sure was sensitive. I told her to chill & go have a fish & chip lunch. She said she already did & for me to **** off.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:25 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,362,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Im not putting down soccer but the game was soooo boring. I dont understand why soccer is so popular. I talked to one brit & she yelled at me & said its called football. The only football i like is american & canadian football. The english woman sure was sensitive. I told her to chill & go have a fish & chip lunch. She said she already did & for me to **** off.
That is because it involves a ball and feet unlike the American version which involves an oval object and hands

Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM

833 posts, read 1,210,485 times
In my opinion the only sport in America that has the potential to become as big as football (“soccer”) is basketball. It requires athleticism, skills, and coordination. In addition, is a very unique sport that did not derived from another one unlike gridiron football (rugby) or baseball (cricket). While it is true that in the NBA exist height discrimination, on an international stage I don’t think that would be problem. The basketball “world cup” starts in August 28 in Turkey and I can’t wait.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,804,944 times
THe funny thing about basketball is that America has the best club league, but we care very little about the international tournaments - maybe because we expect to win without much trouble? If memory serves, Greece and Spain seem to have pretty decent national teams.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:57 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,759,816 times
International basketball leagues are becoming bigger year by year, it will not be too long before they start stealing talent from the NBA. Professional basketball will actually decrease in popularity rather than gain.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:29 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,017,215 times
I agree that the NBA is losing popularity in the states and gaining popularity globally. Hell, I think there is even talk about moving the local team (Indiana Pacers) because nobody is going to their games anymore. Which is pretty shocking considering that they were all the rage here back in the 90's.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:45 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,804,944 times
I think NBA fandom is very regional too. I have very few friends who care anything about NBA ball in Arkansas - it is all about football down here. Basketball is percieved as a black thug's sport down here.*

*(That isn't a racist comment - white thugs just aren't good enough for basketball)

Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 PM

10,720 posts, read 17,476,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondembo View Post
Do you think basketball or football could ever have as many fans and excite the world the way soccer does? Maybe in 20 years?
No, because little kids in South America and Africa who walk around with no shoes on and kick 50 year old used soccer balls can't afford football equipment let alone the coaching staff to teach them.

The fact of the matter is the sports the U.S. kids play require money for the most part with the exception of basketball but even then you need a couple of goals as opposed to soccer in which you can kick around a can an open field in the middle of nowhere. Soccer is a poor man's sport which is why its the most popular sport in the world. Furthermore, the U.S. sports can exist within a microcosm. Europe is so small they need to compete with their neighboring countries which would be like states here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or