U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2010, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
2,295 posts, read 2,147,649 times
Reputation: 3109

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


The World Cup was first televised in 1954 and is now the most widely viewed and followed sporting event in the world, exceeding even the Olympic Games. The cumulative audience of all matches of the 2006 World Cup is estimated to be 26.29 billion. 715.1 million individuals watched the final match of this tournament (a ninth of the entire population of the planet). The 2006 World Cup draw, which decided the distribution of teams into groups, was watched by 300 million viewers.

Why Fifa's claim of one billion TV viewers was a quarter right - News & Comment, Football - The Independent


Quote:
The myth that the World Cup final attracts a global television audience of more than a billion people has been debunked by an Independent investigation into TV viewing figures that shows that true audiences are between a quarter and a third of that size.

This prompted Fifa to admit yesterday that numbers up to now have been massively exaggerated in some cases, and simply guessed in others.

Football's world governing body has promised to use only verifiable data in future. "We are going to steer clear of estimating, and publish data from audited measurement systems only," a spokesman said.

The revelation about exaggerated figures not only raises questions about Fifa's methods for attracting multimillion pound sponsorship deals - including six major, long-term commercial partners, secured before the 2006 World Cup - but also about its tactics in marketing TV rights.

The company ultimately responsible for compiling World Cup TV data is Infront Sports and Media, based in Zug, Switzerland, and whose chief executive is Philippe Blatter, nephew of Fifa's president, Sepp Blatter. Infront also handles the global sales of World Cup TV rights.

It is not known whether any sponsors have complained to Fifa about exaggerated audience claims. The Independent contacted five of them - adidas, Coca-Cola, Emirates Airline, Hyundai and Sony - and they either failed to respond or said: "No comment."

However, a well-informed source said yesterday: "It is heartening to hear Fifa will use only accurate figures in the future. This is a response not just to media scrutiny such as that by The Independent, but also to a desire from sponsors to know the real numbers."

According to Fifa's overblown figures, the World Cup finals of 1998, 2002 and 2006 respectively attracted global audiences of 1.3 billion, 1.1 billion and 715.1 million people. It is understood the claimed figure for last year's showpiece between Italy and France is relatively low only because Sponsorship Intelligence, the respected London-based firm that collated the numbers for Infront, had already urged Fifa to be more realistic in the way data was compiled.

In fact, the 715.1 million still includes a large element of guesswork, including for most of Africa. It also used unreliable "diary data" (which overstates numbers) in some major Asian countries. The figure, concedes [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Fifa[/color][/color], also includes "a huge number of repeats, highlights and delayed showings", as well as an estimated 100 million-plus people watching "out of home".

So how many people actually watch the World [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Cup [COLOR=blue ! important]final[/color][/color][/color] live, from start to finish? According to Initiative Sports Futures, independent analysts with no ties to Fifa, the figure for the 2006 final was 260 million in the 54 key markets it surveyed, accounting for 90 per cent of the world's TV households. ISF sources figures only from markets where data is collated electronically by reputable monitors, such as Barb in the UK.

The Independent also contacted a range of similar bodies around the world during its investigation. Allowing for the 10 per cent of TV households not monitored, and viewers in public places, the live audience could be around 400 million. But the fact is that nobody knows, for sure, above 260 million.

Sponsorship Intelligence defended its methods of using "informed guesswork" in Africa, and "diary data" elsewhere (which has been shown to double the true numbers), because, as a spokesman said: "In the absence of anything else, what can we do? It's the best we've got." However, there is understood to be relief that Fifa will seek only verifiable numbers in future, and not ask for speculative, flattering figures.

A Fifa spokesman told The Independent: "In the absence of audited TV audience systems in less developed markets, SI has made best estimates of audiences based on the available data appreciating that, by their very nature, these assessments are subjective.

"In the future, to avoid any confusion, Fifa will be reporting and assessing the audiences just from those markets that have audited measurement systems."

The most glaring example of past audience exaggeration was in China during the 1998 World Cup. Audited figures were taken from one small area in Shanghai and extrapolated to the whole country to claim 10.8 billion "views" for the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]tournament[/color][/color]. This was at least 8 billion more than the reality.

Even on 28 June last year, on day 20 of the 2006 finals, Infront was claiming the "cumulative total" for the German event would be more than 30 billion people for 64 matches (or 469 million per match). SI's figures subsequently said it was 26.2 billion, and this included all replays and out-of-home figures, audited, guessed or otherwise.

The irony is that the World Cup, by any measurement, is streets ahead of any other sporting event in popularity. Nor, as our accompanying table shows, has Fifa been unique in making claims about TV data that verifiable figures show to be laughable.


Lies, damned lies and TV viewing statistics: The most watched televised sports events of 2006
Sport/Event/Claim/Verifiable*
Football, Italy v France World Cup final, 715.1m/260m
American football, Super Bowl [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Steelers[/color][/color] v Seahawks, 750m-1bn/98m
Winter Olympics, Torino 2006 opening ceremony, 2bn/87m
Football, Champs League Arsenal v Barça, 120m/86m
Formula One, Brazilian Grand Prix, 354m/83m
NASCAR, Daytona 500, n/a/20m
Baseball, World Series game five, n/a/19m
Golf, US Masters (final day), n/a/17m
Tennis, Wimbledon men's singles final, n/a/17m
Basketball, NBA finals game six, up to 1bn/17m
Cycling, [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Tour [COLOR=blue ! important]de [/color][COLOR=blue ! important]France[/color][/color][/color] (final stage), n/a/15m
Golf, US Open (final day), n/a/10m
Golf, Ryder Cup (final day), up to 1bn/6m
Commonwealth Games, Melbourne opening ceremony, 1.5bn/5m
Cricket, ICC Champions Trophy final, n/a/3m
Source of claims: Fifa, [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]NFL[/color][/color], Torino2006.org, Uefa, F1/Renault, NBA, Ryder Cup sponsors, Melbourne Commonwealth Games official website
Source of verifiable data: Initiative Sports Futures
* Verifiable equals the average programme audience who watched the whole game/match/event in 54 key surveyed markets. These 54 countries, where reliable "people-metre" data is available, include most of the world's most populous nations such as China, India, the US and Brazil, plus all major TV markets, including most of Europe. Together they comprise 75 per cent of the world's population, and 90 per cent of the world's TV households. The average programme audience is the global currency of ratings, and should be distinguished from a "peak figure", which would be typically 1.5 times higher (and include the highest number of people at any given point), and the "reach", which would be typically twice the average audience, and include anyone who watched for three minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,317,447 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You honestly think that more Europeans are into baseball than Americans into soccer?

That's absurd. I dont have a single European friend that even knows how to play baseball and I have several friends who were born and raised in Europe. They know who the Yankees are because they are a simple of American pop culture. But, they couldnt even tell you that there are 9 innings in a baseball game.

Yes, the Yankees are a huge brand worldwide. It is the NY symbol and what it represents. It has nothing to do with the team.

Manchester United is the most followed sports team in the world. As in people actually following the team and how they are doing. Yes, lots of people wear Yankees hats. But, many of them dont even know that it is a baseball team. Everyone that wears Man U gear knows who they are and what sport they play.

If you think more people actually follow the Yankees than Manchester United, you are delusional. It isnt even close. Most of the world dont even know how to play baseball but the entire world knows how to play soccer.
I clearly said that we are more into soccer than they are- into baseball.

The yankees are bigger than baseball in certain ways. They are a huge part of american culture for a reason not just because it sounds good. The lakers and the cowboys are big american icons as well who play in sports that are most likely better suited for europeans. You still see more yankee than anything else

Saying its because of the ny brand is null and void. LIKE STATED EARLIER- The new york mets also carry the NY logo yet they are no where near the yankees in popularity. Why? because the yankees represent greatness. Add on the giants and the knicks to that aswell. Playing in new york does not equal instant world fame. The team has to be great to do that

Yankees brand is stronger than MANU so the whole(overrated) argument of this worldwide stuff has no effect on them obviously. And american sports are more exciting and intricate than soccer and european sports. I could careless what the rest of the world watches. Its stupid to root for a team that doesnt even play in your country or continent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 01:35 PM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,196,356 times
Reputation: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

But, when you get to play competitively in all these sports, they all cost money. Soccer takes cleats, balls, shin guards, and other gear just like all the other sports do.

Ask my parents how cheap soccer is to play. They spent thousands on my soccer career between the time I was 8 and 18.
Very true, I have seen people buying soccer gear and it ain't cheap.

To answer the original question I would say maybe basketball or baseball. American football doesn't stand a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,566,105 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
And american sports are more exciting and intricate than soccer and european sports.
Baseball is more of a game than a sport. That's why they're able to play 162 regular season games plus ~30 spring training games plus post-season. Players mostly just stand around. Nothing intricate about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM
 
224 posts, read 590,819 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I clearly said that we are more into soccer than they are- into baseball.

The yankees are bigger than baseball in certain ways. They are a huge part of american culture for a reason not just because it sounds good. The lakers and the cowboys are big american icons as well who play in sports that are most likely better suited for europeans. You still see more yankee than anything else

Saying its because of the ny brand is null and void. LIKE STATED EARLIER- The new york mets also carry the NY logo yet they are no where near the yankees in popularity. Why? because the yankees represent greatness. Add on the giants and the knicks to that aswell. Playing in new york does not equal instant world fame. The team has to be great to do that

Yankees brand is stronger than MANU so the whole(overrated) argument of this worldwide stuff has no effect on them obviously. And american sports are more exciting and intricate than soccer and european sports. I could careless what the rest of the world watches. Its stupid to root for a team that doesnt even play in your country or continent
I think you have to consider the fact that a baseball cap itself is much more popular than any other sports apparel. So comparing to american football and basketball really doesnt make any sense. Again Yankees are the biggest team in NY and therefore it had a easier time expanding to other markets hence making people wear their hat first. The mets logo is diffrent and it isnt as "cool". I think we can all agree on the fact that NYY is a major brand, but the biggest sports time is still manchester united whether you like it or not. After all we are talking about sports and not businesses. But in america i guess that doesnt matter anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 05:16 PM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,317,447 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
I think you have to consider the fact that a baseball cap itself is much more popular than any other sports apparel. So comparing to american football and basketball really doesnt make any sense. Again Yankees are the biggest team in NY and therefore it had a easier time expanding to other markets hence making people wear their hat first. The mets logo is diffrent and it isnt as "cool". I think we can all agree on the fact that NYY is a major brand, but the biggest sports time is still manchester united whether you like it or not. After all we are talking about sports and not businesses. But in america i guess that doesnt matter anyway.
A baseball cap might be more popular than other apparel. But do europeans wear baseball caps? We wear jerseys of all kinds and u still dont see as many manu jerseys in america as you see yankee fitteds overseas. And as far as overall brand power, baseball definently can be compared to basketball and football.

Yankees are the biggest team in new york because we win the most out of all the teams here not because we were annointed to that position and lol at the yankees "making" people wear the hat. People wear the hat for the prestige that comes with having a midnight blue yankee fitted.

Had the mets been winning instead of the yankees things would have flipped

Manchester united might play everywhere from third world africa to france but if your not popping in america, the worlds biggest pop culture export, than your not really popping. Thats why Americans can careless when people bring up the whole "global" thing with soccer.

If manu was really that thoro then they should have a bigger presence than they have. Meanwhile you will visually see the yankees in almost every continent.

Its not all about business either. The yankees are americas most successful team with 27 championships

Whether i like it or not is irrelevant i clearly showcased the link that clearly shows THE NEW YORK YANKEES as the biggest brand in the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,566,105 times
Reputation: 2829
So the Yankees aren't so much a team as a hat-making operation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Yankees are the biggest team in new york because we win the most out of all the teams here not because we were annointed to that position and lol at the yankees "making" people wear the hat. People wear the hat for the prestige that comes with having a midnight blue yankee fitted.
So, you are a Yankees fan, that is why you are fighting this so hard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Manchester united might play everywhere from third world africa to france but if your not popping in america, the worlds biggest pop culture export, than your not really popping. Thats why Americans can careless when people bring up the whole "global" thing with soccer.
There are around 300 million people in the US and there are nearly 7 billion people in the world. Do the math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
If manu was really that thoro then they should have a bigger presence than they have. Meanwhile you will visually see the yankees in almost every continent.
They do have a bigger presence and they are followed on every continent, not almost every continent. The English Premier League is the most popular sports league in the world and Manchester United is the most popular team in that league. Think about that one and use some common sense. the EPL makes MLB look like a pee wee league.

Manchester United is coming to the US later this month for a tour. In Kansas City, they have sold nearly 50,000 tickets for a exhibition match and plan on selling out Arrowhead.

You seem to fail to understand that people that wear Manchester United gear actually follow the team. They watch the games, they read the postgame reports online, they keep up to day with stats and player moves, and anything else that goes on with the team. They are fans of the team. They arent just wearing it to look cool.

People that wear Yankees hats many times do not even know they are wearing the Yankees hat. They have no clue it is a baseball team. I guarantee you that if you were to go up to someone in England wearing a Yankees cap and ask them the record of the Yankees, what the score of their last game was, or even name one of their starting pitchers, they would look at you like you were out of your god damn mind.

If you were to go up to someone here in the US wearing Man U gear and ask similar questions, I bet they would be able to answer most of them.

Do you see the difference? The Yankees logo is a pop culture symbol. It is a brand. Manchester United is a team people follow with undenying loyalty worldwide. You cannot deny this. It is what it is. There are people out there wearing Yankees hats that do not even know what the Yankees are. They think the hat simply stands for New York.

Its not all about business either. The yankees are americas most successful team with 27 championships

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Whether i like it or not is irrelevant i clearly showcased the link that clearly shows THE NEW YORK YANKEES as the biggest brand in the world
Yes, brand. No one is denying that. Key word is brand. They are not the biggest team, they are the biggest brand. I'm glad we could clear that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,317,447 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
There are around 300 million people in the US and there are nearly 7 billion people in the world. Do the math.
Size and population have nothing to do with the fact that america is the worlds biggest culture export. If your not popping in america than your not popping.


Quote:
They do have a bigger presence and they are followed on every continent, not almost every continent. The English Premier League is the most popular sports league in the world and Manchester United is the most popular team in that league. Think about that one and use some common sense. the EPL makes MLB look like a pee wee league.
Popularity of soccer in relationship to baseball has nothing to do with the yankees success. Now lets stop being a europhile for a minute and use an american example. Baseball's popularity pales to Football and Basketball here in our own country. That has no effect what so ever on the yankees which is still the biggest brand in america

Quote:
Manchester United is coming to the US later this month for a tour. In Kansas City, they have sold nearly 50,000 tickets for a exhibition match and plan on selling out Arrowhead.
The yankees have sold out plenty of times overseas

Quote:
You seem to fail to understand that people that wear Manchester United gear actually follow the team. They watch the games, they read the postgame reports online, they keep up to day with stats and player moves, and anything else that goes on with the team. They are fans of the team. They arent just wearing it to look cool.
Lol thats bullsh.t manchester has as many bandwagon followers as new york. That goes for every popular team. Your going to have your diehards in team gear and your going to have people that dont even follow the sport the team plays in, in gear

Quote:
People that wear Yankees hats many times do not even know they are wearing the Yankees hat. They have no clue it is a baseball team. I guarantee you that if you were to go up to someone in England wearing a Yankees cap and ask them the record of the Yankees, what the score of their last game was, or even name one of their starting pitchers, they would look at you like you were out of your god damn mind.
But can we use common sense and say that -" Ya sure theres going to be a'lot of people like that. But im pretty sure a good bit of them know who the yankees are. Baseball fitteds are expensive and i highly doubt people buy yankee fitteds without knowing atleast who they are. Which requires the most basic of research" And whether they know who the team is or not is irelevent. The yankees transcend sports

Quote:
Do you see the difference? The Yankees logo is a pop culture symbol. It is a brand. Manchester United is a team people follow with undenying loyalty worldwide. You cannot deny this. It is what it is. There are people out there wearing Yankees hats that do not even know what the Yankees are. They think the hat simply stands for New York.
Yes, brand. No one is denying that. Key word is brand. They are not the biggest team, they are the biggest brand. I'm glad we could clear that up.

I think u sell the europeans short. You would have to be stupid to not know that the symbol stands for some sort of sports team. I think they pretty much know that. I wont have to worry about asking an american manu fan team statistics simply because you don't see that many fans to ask in the first place.

The yankees are a pop culture icon for a reason. Babe ruth,performance,yankee stadium,pinstripes etc. I was arguing brand the whole time. Its impressive for a team that plays in, whats most likely the least popular major sport in the world, to be the biggest most recognized brand in the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,566,105 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
If your not popping in america than your not popping.
Even correct spelling wouldn't have saved this comment from being obscenely stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top