Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
International basketball leagues are becoming bigger year by year, it will not be too long before they start stealing talent from the NBA. Professional basketball will actually decrease in popularity rather than gain.
It will never happen because the money is in the NBA and Europe's best players will always come here first and the Europeans still watch the NBA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:50 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
No, because little kids in South America and Africa who walk around with no shoes on and kick 50 year old used soccer balls can't afford football equipment let alone the coaching staff to teach them.

The fact of the matter is the sports the U.S. kids play require money for the most part with the exception of basketball but even then you need a couple of goals as opposed to soccer in which you can kick around a can an open field in the middle of nowhere. Soccer is a poor man's sport which is why its the most popular sport in the world. Furthermore, the U.S. sports can exist within a microcosm. Europe is so small they need to compete with their neighboring countries which would be like states here.
Wrong! To play competitive soccer one would need: soccer cleats (150 bucks can get you a fairly decent pair, 400 bucks will get you a good high end pair), a ball (anywhere from 20-200 bucks), shin guards (20-100 bucks), socks (15-20 bucks), 2 goals (around 3,000 bucks), not to mention a supporter, and a jersey. Not so 3rd world, huh?

I have played many two-hand touch and tackle American football games with a 10 dollar football from target in an open field in the middle of nowhere. I've played basketball in a barn with one of those peach basket things and a 20 dollar basketball. I've played baseball with a 10 dollar ball, 30 doallar bat and no mit. Does that mean these sports are cheap and 3rd world too?

Also, basketball and baseball are extremely popular in some 2nd and 3rd world countries.

Last edited by Interpol76; 06-15-2010 at 02:03 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 AM

683 posts, read 1,469,053 times
Quote:
No, because little kids in South America and Africa who walk around with no shoes on and kick 50 year old used soccer balls can't afford football equipment let alone the coaching staff to teach them.

The fact of the matter is the sports the U.S. kids play require money for the most part with the exception of basketball but even then you need a couple of goals as opposed to soccer in which you can kick around a can an open field in the middle of nowhere. Soccer is a poor man's sport which is why its the most popular sport in the world. Furthermore, the U.S. sports can exist within a microcosm. Europe is so small they need to compete with their neighboring countries which would be like states here.
Little kids in South America walk around with no shoes???

You need to travel. South American countries are middle and high-middle income economies (gdp).

Football (FiFa) is the most popular sport worldwide. More than 5.5 billion people like to play/watch it. (you are jealous)

NFL "HandOvoid" is only a tv show played by a bunch of fat obese people.

Read the following article:

Most of the NFL players die before the age of 50.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2313476

that would never happen to Australian Rules Football or Fifa football players because they are constantly running and burn the fat. No 60+ minutes Ads/commercials. NFL isn't a sport.

The NFL is killing its own players http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149131,00.html

what a stupid attempt of a sport.

Last edited by Edu983; 06-15-2010 at 07:44 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Football (FiFa) is the most popular sport worldwide. More than 5.5 billion people like to play/watch it. (you are jealous)
I'll assume you are pulling that figure somewhere and just not citing it, I would like to see the link to whatever company vomited out that number. It's total stat manipulation, maybe of the 6+ billion people on this earth, at some point 5.5 BILLION of them have kicked something resembling a ball with there foot as thats a pretty natural motion, but to lump in the word "watch" along with 5.5 billion is insanely, and transparently, false.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:06 AM

683 posts, read 1,469,053 times
FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The World Cup was first televised in 1954 and is now the most widely viewed and followed sporting event in the world, exceeding even the Olympic Games. The cumulative audience of all matches of the 2006 World Cup is estimated to be 26.29 billion. 715.1 million individuals watched the final match of this tournament (a ninth of the entire population of the planet). The 2006 World Cup draw, which decided the distribution of teams into groups, was watched by 300 million viewers.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The World Cup was first televised in 1954 and is now the most widely viewed and followed sporting event in the world, exceeding even the Olympic Games. The cumulative audience of all matches of the 2006 World Cup is estimated to be 26.29 billion. 715.1 million individuals watched the final match of this tournament (a ninth of the entire population of the planet). The 2006 World Cup draw, which decided the distribution of teams into groups, was watched by 300 million viewers.
That is no way tells me that 5.5 billion out of the 6+billion people on earth enjoy playing or watching it. Cumulative audience doesn't go very far in showing that. I'm all for saying its a huge event world wide, but that doesn not change my view that 5.5 billion is a overstated, grossly, figure. 715.1 million watched it, that leaves 4.75 billion people that must have been out playing I guess

Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
It will never happen because the money is in the NBA and Europe's best players will always come here first and the Europeans still watch the NBA

You better check that. Some of those owners in Greece are prepared to pay millions a year per player. There are also some middle eastern oil sheiks getting into the business of owning basketball teams and are prepared to throw money around as well. They dont have a salary cap either and that money comes tax free. You better believe that talent will start to go overseas in the next few years. There are already American players playing over there.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Little kids in South America walk around with no shoes???

You need to travel. South American countries are middle and high-middle income economies (gdp).

NFL "HandOvoid" is only a tv show played by a bunch of fat obese people.

Read the following article:

Most of the NFL players die before the age of 50.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2313476

that would never happen to Australian Rules Football or Fifa football players because they are constantly running and burn the fat. No 60+ minutes Ads/commercials. NFL isn't a sport.

The NFL is killing its own players http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149131,00.html

what a stupid attempt of a sport.
Just watching the NFL cheerleaders is a sport of its own.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:02 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,336 times
Not a snowballs chance in Hell. If MY TEAM LOSES TO KOREA TODAY I WILL BE PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
That is no way tells me that 5.5 billion out of the 6+billion people on earth enjoy playing or watching it. Cumulative audience doesn't go very far in showing that. I'm all for saying its a huge event world wide, but that doesn not change my view that 5.5 billion is a overstated, grossly, figure. 715.1 million watched it, that leaves 4.75 billion people that must have been out playing I guess

Whatever dude! Soccer is still the number 1 sport in the world. Get over it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer