U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,187,471 times

Advertisements

I always find it funny that people harp on americans for saying "soccer" (when australians, canadians and kiwis also call it soccer) because, as they say "the rest of the world calls it football" . . . but they don't find it odd that the rest of the world is calling it football when the rest of the world doesn't speak english.

It's actually amusing to watch games on Univision (a spanish language channel in the US) and hear the announcers saying "offsides" or "handball" in a heavy accent as if these words were spanish. It's also interesting to hear other Britishisms thrown into their speech. For instance, "equipo" is the spanish word for team but you often hear the announcers saying "lado" for side.

A lot of american fans will try to drop jargon to impress by saying "our side has a match on this pitch." GMAFB. Our team has a game on this field.

While i'm at it, calling soccer "the world's game" is a little disingenuous. It's europe's game that was imported to southern South American by Italians and Spaniards. Until 18 years ago the world cup could only be held in Europe or South America. I mean, Europe has 8 teams in the WC with 4 teams from each of the other continents. The rest of the world plays the game to varying degrees but that's something different from being any good at it.

don't get me wrong . . . i'm a fan of the game. I play in an amateur league. I support the Philadelphia Union. I just don't like the snobbery that comes from a lot of european and south american fans.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The reason the NFL & Baseball we never be really popular outside of the US ( except maybe Cuba, Japan & the Dom rep ) is that these games never seem to get going.
I'm not a fan of american (or the very similar canadian) football nor do i appreciate rugby or aussie rules.

It still never ceases to amaze me how willfully ignorant Brits are when it comes to baseball. Americans know that soccer is popular elsewhere in the world. Europeans assume that because it's not big there that it must be something only enjoyed by americans.

Take the Philadelphia team for instance, last year they traded a Korean pitcher and picked up a Cuban one. The bullpen is full of Dominicans and Venezuelans. We have a Panamanian catcher and a Mexican shortstop. Australia cranks out great pitchers. Grant Balfour being but one of them. A Dutch kid is starting on the mound for the Florida Marlins. The game is big in Columbia and Nicaragua. China and Taiwan both have pro leagues. Same with Japan and South Korea. The seeds have been planted in India.

MLB is full of players from all over the world and making it that far is equivalent to a non-european player starting for a Champions League team.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 AM

14,790 posts, read 14,039,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I always find it funny that people harp on americans for saying "soccer" (when australians, canadians and kiwis also call it soccer) because, as they say "the rest of the world calls it football" . . . but they don't find it odd that the rest of the world is calling it football when the rest of the world doesn't speak english.

It's actually amusing to watch games on Univision (a spanish language channel in the US) and hear the announcers saying "offsides" or "handball" in a heavy accent as if these words were spanish. It's also interesting to hear other Britishisms thrown into their speech. For instance, "equipo" is the spanish word for team but you often hear the announcers saying "lado" for side.

A lot of american fans will try to drop jargon to impress by saying "our side has a match on this pitch." GMAFB. Our team has a game on this field.

While i'm at it, calling soccer "the world's game" is a little disingenuous. It's europe's game that was imported to southern South American by Italians and Spaniards. Until 18 years ago the world cup could only be held in Europe or South America. I mean, Europe has 8 teams in the WC with 4 teams from each of the other continents. The rest of the world plays the game to varying degrees but that's something different from being any good at it.

don't get me wrong . . . i'm a fan of the game. I play in an amateur league. I support the Philadelphia Union. I just don't like the snobbery that comes from a lot of european and south american fans.
what other code even gets close to Football/Soccer for world participation?

The world cup might have only been held in Europe, however Asia, Sth America, Africa still had their local leagues.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
what other code even gets close to Football/Soccer for world participation?

The world cup might have only been held in Europe, however Asia, Sth America, Africa still had their local leagues.
The World Cup had always rotated between Europe and South America.
Soccer in Asia is only kinda big in Korea and Japan in the same way that it is in the US/Canada or Australia/NZ. It's really not that big of a deal in the rest of asia (outside of a few former soviet republics).

It seems to me that soccer in Africa is probably on par with cricket in terms of popularity with the former being more popular in the former french colonies and the latter being more popular in the former british colonies.

In terms of team sports with a global draw, well cricket, baseball and hockey immediately come to mind. Hockey doesn't have international competition outside of the olympics (that should change) and baseball did not until relatively recently with the world baseball classic. but there are other sports that aren't team oriented (running, cycling, tennis, etc) that are also big.

I just wish that europeans and south americans would realize that just because it's the only sport you play doesn't mean that it's the best.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Yac

5,923 posts, read 6,530,630 times
This thread has gone long enough, lately all I see is petty bickering and insults.
Thread closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or