U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2010, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,366,736 times
Reputation: 3070

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
But do they care? Americans seem to think only their games are worth watching.
Paint with a broad brush much? Pretty cool you can speak for 300+ million people.

 
Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,243,749 times
Reputation: 29451
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
But do they care? Americans seem to think only their games are worth watching.
It didn't take long to get to the real core of the issue (and it rarely does when this subject comes up): that Americans recognize this hypnotically snore-inducing sport for what it is and therefore they're insular. The world can keep this silly game for all I care. Why the rest of the world couldn't just be content with the sport instead of being seemingly obsessed with whether or not Americans could be bothered with it is beyond me.

Do they watch a lot of baseball in Britain? How's that British pro basketball League going? Or is "sports nationalism" only an issue when Americans practice it?
 
Old 06-11-2010, 03:39 PM
 
2,024 posts, read 2,988,723 times
Reputation: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Paint with a broad brush much? Pretty cool you can speak for 300+ million people.
Okay, I can only speak for 280 million of them.
 
Old 06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
 
2,024 posts, read 2,988,723 times
Reputation: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It didn't take long to get to the real core of the issue (and it rarely does when this subject comes up): that Americans recognize this hypnotically snore-inducing sport for what it is and therefore they're insular. The world can keep this silly game for all I care. Why the rest of the world couldn't just be content with the sport instead of being seemingly obsessed with whether or not Americans could be bothered with it is beyond me.

Do they watch a lot of baseball in Britain? How's that British pro basketball League going? Or is "sports nationalism" only an issue when Americans practice it?
Who said anyone was obsessed?? It's just a stupid discussion on a forum.
 
Old 06-11-2010, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,366,736 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Okay, I can only speak for 280 million of them.
Oooh! Humor (failed attempt that is) in an attempt to deflect the attention of your inaccurate and generally insulting post. Nice one!
 
Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
 
2,024 posts, read 2,988,723 times
Reputation: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Oooh! Humor (failed attempt that is) in an attempt to deflect the attention of your inaccurate and generally insulting post. Nice one!
yawn
 
Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,366,736 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
yawn
They make emoticons for that.
 
Old 06-11-2010, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,243,749 times
Reputation: 29451
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Who said anyone was obsessed?? It's just a stupid discussion on a forum.
Obsession doesn't have to announce itself to become obvious. That part is self-evident when the topic comes up time and time and time and time again. And it's always the same tenor and tone: Americans don't like soccer because of nationalistic sports chauvinism or something to that effect. It's an argument you're perfectly comfortable trotting out, so it's clear you're part of the obsession.
 
Old 06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Kentucky
3,790 posts, read 7,793,409 times
Reputation: 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I've never liked American football, but I do like 'rest of the world' football.

It can get really annoying to have people correct me when I call soccer football. A former friend actually became angry when I called it football.
We get it. You hate America and American's and anything to do with our big, bad county. You are on par with the rest of the world. They hate us too. And on top of everything, the vast majority of American's don't really care about soccer and that upsets the rest of the world.

As for soccer, you can have it and your snoozer 0-0 or 1-1 matches. It's an extremely boring game, barely beating out chess on the snooze-o-meter.
 
Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 PM
 
832 posts, read 1,208,571 times
Reputation: 814
It is stupid. In Australia their football is called Australian Football, and "soccer" is still called football. Imagine if we would have called baseball cricket, and named cricket some stupid funny name. Our version should have been called something else. There is only one football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top