U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2010, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,807 posts, read 2,165,015 times
Reputation: 970

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Or rather, it shouldn't be. Europe's transfixation on what word Americans use to describe this mind-numbing game is bizarre.

"Call it what we call it or we're going to whine moan and complain!"

"Uh, OK. Go ahead."
Disagree on the mind-numbing, but completely agreed on how bizarre it is for anyone to get upset about what words people use.

 
Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
 
Location: West Texas
423 posts, read 719,994 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Since when finland and italy are english speaking countries?
Congrats buddy! You just won the award for the Dumbest Response of 2010!!!
 
Old 06-12-2010, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,517 posts, read 5,459,761 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
In 2005, Australia's association Football governing body changed its name from "Soccer" to "Football" to align with the general international usage of the term.

In 2007, New Zealand followed suit citing "The international game is called Football".

As of 2010, the U.S. is the only country where "Football" is not used for "Football".
Correct but most people in Australia and New Zealand still call the game soccer.
 
Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,818,697 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Correct but most people in Australia and New Zealand still call the game soccer.
x2, heck I still even call the game soccer, its hard to change the name when you've been bought up with it.
 
Old 06-12-2010, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Miami / Florida / U.S.A.
684 posts, read 1,293,241 times
Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Congrats buddy! You just won the award for the Dumbest Response of 2010!!!
???

Heimdall,

Football is a term used in all the english-speaking countries excluding the U.S.

You named italy and finland as examples of countries where people dont use the term football. They have alternatives terms because they dont speak english.

U.S. American football is more like a modified version of rugby. Players use their hands to pass an oval. No Foot and no Ball.
 
Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,203,959 times
Reputation: 29451
No foot? What, you think they're all amputees and they bound around the field on their stumps or something? And you think it's not a ball just because it's ovoid?
 
Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Miami / Florida / U.S.A.
684 posts, read 1,293,241 times
Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
x2, heck I still even call the game soccer, its hard to change the name when you've been bought up with it.
Matty,

In 2007, New Zealand was the last country to align to the international usage of the term Football. Just wait a few years...
 
Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Miami / Florida / U.S.A.
684 posts, read 1,293,241 times
Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No foot? What, you think they're all amputees and they bound around the field on their stumps or something? And you think it's not a ball just because it's ovoid?
Baseball and volleyball players also use their legs to walk and run, what's your point?

Football players are supposed to pass/kick the ball with their feet.
Dont you understand? Omg...
 
Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Miami / Florida / U.S.A.
684 posts, read 1,293,241 times
Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No foot? What, you think they're all amputees and they bound around the field on their stumps or something? And you think it's not a ball just because it's ovoid?
A ball is a sphere.. Baseball basketball football volleyball ..Golf ball.. Etc.

I dont know about yours but my Balls are not Ovoid.

Why dont you use the terms "HandOval" "HandOvoid" "U.S. Rugby"??
 
Old 06-12-2010, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 41,387,584 times
Reputation: 10958
There's this organization related to the game called the SOC...and so anyone who belonged to the SOC or was under its auspices was a SOCcer.

Hence, soccer.

It's often mistakenly thought that the United States are the only country that uses the term soccer for what is traditionally known as football in Europe, Asia and other parts of the World. However, the new name was adopted by other countries, specifically those that associated football to a different sport prior to soccer being popular. Such countries include Australia, Canada, New Zealand and some parts of Ireland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top