U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:18 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,530,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
???

Heimdall,

Football is a term used in all the english-speaking countries excluding the U.S.

You named italy and finland as examples of countries where people dont use the term football. They have alternatives terms because they dont speak english.

U.S. American football is more like a modified version of rugby. Players use their hands to pass an oval. No Foot and no Ball.
There was a time when the forward pass was not allowed in American football, but not being an avid sports historian, I'm not exactly sure when that was. There is still the "kickoff" and the "punt", both using the foot.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,494,014 times
Quote:
Why dont you use the terms "HandOval" "HandOvoid" "U.S. Rugby"??
Because it's so much more fun watching Eurotwits get their leotards knotted up over what we call our own sports.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:42 PM
JJG

13,251 posts, read 19,262,925 times
Let's see if I can kill this thread.....

1. - The reason why American's call it soccer has been barked out several times before on these threads already.

2. - Why should anyone care about what country calls their sports? You don't see me gettin' my panties into a knot because Brits call pants, "trousers", do ya?

3. - Have a level of respect for ALL sports, folks. Look, soccer (or Association Football) isn't embraced by Americans the same way the rest of the world does because... well, we don't really have to, do we? I mean, why should every country have the exact same interests? That just makes the world boring. NFL football is #1 in this country, not soccer. Hockey is #1 in Canada, not soccer. Rugby is #1 in Australia, not soccer. And (I'm not too sure with this one, but) Japan's #1 sport is Baseball, not soccer. Just deal with it.

Also, enough with the "soccer's boring", "American Football is all commercials" b.s. PLEASE. You people do realize that these sports are played in different ways. Because in American football you've got a bunch of 200+ pound guys probably pumped up on steroids knocking each other out going full speed, full contact with coaches having to draw up plays (like a chess match) for a limited time, there HAS TO BE STOPPAGE.
And soccer can be exciting since it involves a different kind of skill (ya can't use ya hands, so that's something) and they can come up with some spectacular plays and even more spectacular celebrations when they score. Even the fans get into with with some of the most unique chants and songs.
What I'm trying to say with that is, ANY SPORT CAN BE BORING or EXCITING. But there's no reason to belittle the other in any way shape or form.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:34 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,173,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Let's see if I can kill this thread.....

1. - The reason why American's call it soccer has been barked out several times before on these threads already.

2. - Why should anyone care about what country calls their sports? You don't see me gettin' my panties into a knot because Brits call pants, "trousers", do ya?

3. - Have a level of respect for ALL sports, folks. Look, soccer (or Association Football) isn't embraced by Americans the same way the rest of the world does because... well, we don't really have to, do we? I mean, why should every country have the exact same interests? That just makes the world boring. NFL football is #1 in this country, not soccer. Hockey is #1 in Canada, not soccer. Rugby is #1 in Australia, not soccer. And (I'm not too sure with this one, but) Japan's #1 sport is Baseball, not soccer. Just deal with it.

Also, enough with the "soccer's boring", "American Football is all commercials" b.s. PLEASE. You people do realize that these sports are played in different ways. Because in American football you've got a bunch of 200+ pound guys probably pumped up on steroids knocking each other out going full speed, full contact with coaches having to draw up plays (like a chess match) for a limited time, there HAS TO BE STOPPAGE.
And soccer can be exciting since it involves a different kind of skill (ya can't use ya hands, so that's something) and they can come up with some spectacular plays and even more spectacular celebrations when they score. Even the fans get into with with some of the most unique chants and songs.
What I'm trying to say with that is, ANY SPORT CAN BE BORING or EXCITING. But there's no reason to belittle the other in any way shape or form.
Agreed, but just an addendum to the point about Australia - if you think the spat between American football and Association football is bad, the Australian version of the fight is even worse. They have football codes all competing for the hearts of the Australian people. Aussie Rules and Rugby League are the two big ones, but Rugby and Association are also still alive and kicking. If you want to see multitude pages of bickering over nothing, read some Aussie Rules or Rugby League forums!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:48 AM

93 posts, read 102,024 times
Think its only a small minority of Europeans that get upset about this (if any really). Soccer is a perfectly acceptable term to use in England, and certainly Ireland I believe

Old 06-13-2010, 07:53 AM

93 posts, read 102,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hey, you guys will be able to answer this...

If soccer is so popular, why do they only have the World Cup every four years?

Surely they could drum up the fans to run it every year, no?
One of the main reasons for this is the power of the game at club level. Although the world cup is something of an extravaganza the bread and butter of the game is at club level (and the clubs play the wages).

Also there are the European and South American championships which take place every 4 years also inbetween so it ends up with a major championship every 2 years

Old 06-14-2010, 10:52 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,777,889 times
Actually, a handful of countries call it soccer including Ireland. They call Gaelic football, football. There are a few others but I dont have time to post them right now.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,631,504 times
The word "soccer" is a shortened form of "association." When it was first played in the United States in the 19th century, it was called association football. To distinguish it from a game that was also becoming popular at the time, sometimes known as American football.

There ya go. OP's question answered.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:59 AM

3,528 posts, read 4,873,799 times
Quote:
The whole world calls the sport "Football" (more than 5 billion people), even in the old continent and including the people who invented the english language...

Players use a foot and a ball... Football.

Why the U.S. Nationals refer to the sport as "Soccer" and use the word "Football" to refer to a sport that is played with their hands and an oval?

Anyone knows why?
I say "soccer" because most Americans instantly think of NFL if I say "football" and I don't want to have explain myself. Easy Peasy.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:18 AM

34,778 posts, read 33,852,346 times
Soccer is the sport in this country that moms let their kids play so they don't get hurt (or dirty). Calling it "wussy football" to distinguish it from regular football would be offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or