U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:07 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,376,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I am curious if anyone knows what the pctg. of teams that score first went on to win the match. My guess is that it's something approaching 75 to 80%. I saw a stat on Brazil that their all-time record when scoring first was something like 74 - 2 - 1.
I know the USA has NEVER won a game when they have not scored the first goal in the WC, they have played to a draw, but thats the best result they have had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 01:11 PM

747 posts, read 2,286,431 times
ARG and Germany looking in good form. Unfortunately they will probably clash at the qtr-final stage. However, Arg defense looks as nervous as their offense looks confident.

What happened to Spain? Iniesta kept threading passes, but Villa wasted a few and then Torres came on looking positively geriatric. I know he's coming back from injury, but his first touch every single time was so awful I almost cringed.

SA's tournament looks to be over after a surprising draw against Mex and then a 3-0 drubbing at the hands (feet?) of Uruguay. They are almost out, and would be the first host nation in the history of the World Cup to fail to make the second round. If the home crowd put away their horns for a minute and actually cheered their team on, they might have gotten the same momentum/home advantage that has frequently propelled home teams to excel themselves.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:16 PM

83 posts, read 127,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
The 2010 Soccer World Cup has begun.
Who will be the Champion??
Brazil, Italy or Argentina...

Too broad a generalization, but I'm running with that for now...I'm waiting to be surprised this year

Old 06-18-2010, 03:22 PM

597 posts, read 1,158,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
A.B.E. Anybody but England.
And what about Englis Team?? What is happening?

Old 06-18-2010, 03:46 PM

69 posts, read 86,121 times
Quote:
The 2010 Soccer World Cup has begun.
Who will be the Champion??
Argentina.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:53 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,993,437 times
Quote:
And what about Englis Team?? What is happening?
Ha! They couldn't score a goal tonight.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:08 AM

3,162 posts, read 10,497,868 times
Either Brazil or Mexico =D hehe

Old 06-19-2010, 10:08 AM

740 posts, read 1,844,532 times
Ghana = disappointing. So many chances, poor/sloppy finishes. Either they have very poor aim or they took themselves too seriously to take the game seriously. Germany will whoop them and advance, along with Serbia who will get over Australia. This will be the first World Cup since '86 with no African teams advancing. A double shame given that it's on African soil. FIFA ought to take away one spot from CAF and give it either to South America or CONCACAF.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,095,574 times
what was disappointing about Ghana vs Australia, was that red card.

Seriously his arms were down. Penalty, yes. Sending off Harry Kewell? NO.

It is frustrating that at this level, refs can make decisions on the spot without any review -- and kill a country's chance.

And while I'm venting, I love football (soccer) but rolling around on the ground after every knock ... seriously harden the f up!

Old 06-19-2010, 07:26 PM

580 posts, read 863,920 times
Ozgal, man, I feel for you, but honestly, you stop the ball from going in the net on the goal line...it will always be a red card. Remember that red card in the box is not given only for "voluntarity" but also for "gravity" of foul. On the goal line...that's just as bad as it gets. Unlucky situation and Australia reacted well, matter of fact they never seemed to be playing in ten.

I feel your pain, but I don't think there a lot ot diving in that game, both teams played pretty hard, especially at midfield. It was a well fought game and unfortunately might have cause elimination for both teams.
They should mix them. Ghana has better quality and technique but is a mess organization-wise and has no mifielder able to think and "see" the development of the game. Australia has less individual talent but they always fight and they are much "wiser" from a footbal point of view, organized and well put on the pitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or