U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:35 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,869,864 times

Advertisements

The Dutch look very good. Argentina as well.

US has a better than average chance to win the next 2 in a row. Yesssss!!!!!

Been a good cup so far!!! I'm loving every bit!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 10:33 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,140,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Ozgal, man, I feel for you, but honestly, you stop the ball from going in the net on the goal line...it will always be a red card. Remember that red card in the box is not given only for "voluntarity" but also for "gravity" of foul. On the goal line...that's just as bad as it gets. Unlucky situation and Australia reacted well, matter of fact they never seemed to be playing in ten.

I feel your pain, but I don't think there a lot ot diving in that game, both teams played pretty hard, especially at midfield. It was a well fought game and unfortunately might have cause elimination for both teams.
They should mix them. Ghana has better quality and technique but is a mess organization-wise and has no mifielder able to think and "see" the development of the game. Australia has less individual talent but they always fight and they are much "wiser" from a footbal point of view, organized and well put on the pitch.

I've watched that red card foul about 5 times over ... and I'm not sure what Kewell could have done to get his shoulder out of the way. I agree, penalty but to send him off (pretty much his last game ever, for AUS) was a bit harsh, in my biased, one-eyed opinion

Fair enough, that game was okay - but there has been diving (in general) .... and I'm pretty much still an angry girl from last night !!

Old 06-20-2010, 03:52 PM

597 posts, read 1,160,450 times
Here We Go!
Brazil 3 x 1 Cot d'Ivory.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:53 PM

740 posts, read 1,846,785 times
To top off the victory, Ivory Coast acted like sore losers by diving - a very poor effort at one - to give Kaka the red card. As if Kaka being off the team is going to weaken Brazil. It won't.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 PM

562 posts, read 995,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
To top off the victory, Ivory Coast acted like sore losers by diving - a very poor effort at one - to give Kaka the red card. As if Kaka being off the team is going to weaken Brazil. It won't.
Exactly. But even if it did, it would probably end up hurting Ivory Coast's chances since it would give Portugal a better chance of winning. So very bone-headed behavior. However, Drogba was admirable in his maturity; the rest of the team need to follow his cue.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:24 PM

580 posts, read 944,032 times
Since I am in fact American, I will root for the USA...until they get beaten horribly. Then I'll really go for Brazil! And really, since I'm fairly new to following sports in general, I'm only rooting for the Brazilians because they already have 5 trophies under their belt, and so why not a 6th? XD Plus they play extremely well...usually. There skating by North Korea 2-1 the other day was just one more thing to tally on the board of Weird **** Happening at the 2010 FIFA World Cup (all the draws, previously great teams tying or losing to lesser teams). Their game earlier today against the Ivory Coast was a pretty decent game. The Africans put up a very good fight, and their single goal came out of nowhere and was spearheaded by a lone striker leading at least three Brazilians! But the latter were too good, and they almost seemed to dance around their opponents, orchestrating plays with a deft eloquence. And thus they beat them 3-1. Hopefully they can hang on to their skills and win the Cup again!

Speaking of weird **** happening at the World Cup, what about it??? Spain was what most people were saying was gonna win, and yet they lose 0-1 to Switzerland, for chrissakes! And what about Italy (who freaking WON the 2006 tournament) tying with New Zealand? Along with all the other upsets, it's been a very interesting tournament.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 AM

21,540 posts, read 22,105,235 times
List of teams that have scored more goals than the US through first two games...

Portugal 7
Brazil 5
Argentina 5
Germany 4

(one game remaining)

Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM

747 posts, read 2,290,993 times
That's a nice stat (only behind 4 of the biggest powers in terms of goal-scoring, and ahead of many more fancied teams such as Italy, Eng, Spain, France, etc) but ultimately we need 5 points to be assured of progression and that means beating Algeria in our last game.

Knocking out Eng (with Slovenia's help) would just be icing on the cake

Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 AM

57 posts, read 37,354 times
ahahahah gooo portugal

feel bad for the north koreans tough

Old 06-22-2010, 11:54 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,464,126 times
I got money on Portugal...so that 7-0 showing has me feeling good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or