Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 10:08 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times

Advertisements

I have been researching domestic top flight leagues of soccer. People think that our college gridiron is top heavy!!

How do people keep the faith for a championship if you are a fan of smaller clubs in Spain, Scotland or England. Especially Scotland, Rangers and Celtic might as well break off and form their own division!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 07:32 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I've never been to Europe but it seems that in their culture people still enjoy supporting their team even if they have no shot at being in the top tier. By comparison most American pro teams have attendance that is directly based on how they are doing that year. This year even bottom feeder Portsmouth still averaged 18,249 fans over 38 games (That 95% of their stadium's capacity!)

I think part of it is that Europeans don't have 5 team sports they care about, its mainly soccer and some rugby or cricket. In most American cities with multiple team sports people will attend the ones doing well and not attend the ones doing poorly.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I have been researching domestic top flight leagues of soccer. People think that our college gridiron is top heavy!!

How do people keep the faith for a championship if you are a fan of smaller clubs in Spain, Scotland or England. Especially Scotland, Rangers and Celtic might as well break off and form their own division!
Because Rangers fans are born to it. It is in the blood, the heritage and the culture. It is unthinkable to support anyone else.

We Are The People

Old 06-18-2010, 09:18 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,085 times
It is easier to support your crappy little football club when the stadium is a stone's throw from your front door. We don't see that in America as much. There are 92 professional soccer teams in England. England is about the same size as Florida. Think about that.... If Florida had 92 teams in one sport - the only sport - almost everyone would have a tight bond with their crappy little team...even if they sucked year after year like Shrewsbury Town and Chesterfield.

They are born into their teams. They don't choose them.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Because Rangers fans are born to it. It is in the blood, the heritage and the culture. It is unthinkable to support anyone else.

We Are The People
Way to miss the point. He asked about clubs other than the same old crap, like Rangers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
It is easier to support your crappy little football club when the stadium is a stone's throw from your front door. We don't see that in America as much. There are 92 professional soccer teams in England. England is about the same size as Florida. Think about that.... If Florida had 92 teams in one sport - the only sport - almost everyone would have a tight bond with their crappy little team...even if they sucked year after year like Shrewsbury Town and Chesterfield.

They are born into their teams. They don't choose them.
As I understand it, many follow their local club as well as a big club that's always on TV, competing in major tournaments.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:14 AM

93 posts, read 116,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post

As I understand it, many follow their local club as well as a big club that's always on TV, competing in major tournaments.
This wasn't always the way, but has become increasingly true over time. Surprised more of the smaller teams haven't folded

Old 06-28-2010, 06:56 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
I guess the fact that soccer is LEAGUES ahead of EVERY OTHER SPORT does effect viewing habits and allegiences.

Still, regardless of nationality, it seems really trying to support a club that has such a little chance of winning a championship. The revenue gap between the "royalty" and everyone else seems quite large in many leagues, therefore only a few teams dominate. (Ligue 1 seems to be an exception).

Then again I guess that's where the UEFA champions league comes in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer