Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:17 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
There was a soccer match today?
And yet you're still back on here posting! It's the "soccer" forum dude, not sure why you insist on hanging out here unless you are a closet soccer fan! Why are you on here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
And yet you're still back on here posting! It's the "soccer" forum dude, not sure why you insist on hanging out here unless you are a closet soccer fan! Why are you on here?
Because I like aggravating people. You wanted an honest answer, no?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
I think Kermit said it best, "It's not easy being Green."

Old 06-12-2010, 08:26 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Because I like aggravating people. You wanted an honest answer, no?
Well... atleast you're honest about it.... I can respect that, I guess!

It just trips me out how folks such as yourself who don't like soccer seek it out to slam it... For example, I don't really dig baseball, so I don't really watch it/follow it/play it but I don't actively pursue baseball fans to slam their sport or degrade them, I just take it as "hey... that's their thing, not really mine and it's all good"... That's all...

Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Well... atleast you're honest about it.... I can respect that, I guess!

It just trips me out how folks such as yourself who don't like soccer seek it out to slam it... For example, I don't really dig baseball, so I don't really watch it/follow it/play it but I don't actively pursue baseball fans to slam their sport or degrade them, I just take it as "hey... that's their thing, not really mine and it's all good"... That's all...
I will continue to be honest. I can actually stand to watch soccer. Will it ever be really popular here...no. That said, I really wish some rules were changed to create more scoring in soccer. Get rid of offsides and get rid of draws, etc.

As for baseball, I used to love baseball when I was young. Now it is a piece of s--t. Baseball USED to be great at one time. Now it is corrupt and painfully slow and you really don't have to be that in shape to play it. I will say one thing about soccer, my fat ass would pass out trying to run up/down that field. You HAVE to be in shape to play soccer.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:34 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times
The English people are compassionate & forgiving... Too forgiving...

They parole murderers after 20 years...

They will not misbehave to Greene...

Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times
All I know is that when England scored 3 and a half minutes into the game, I thought it would be a lonnnnng 90 minutes for the Americans. Im very pleased with the result, as lucky as it may have been.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:23 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Hopefully the English goalie Robert Green will fare better than the Colombian player (Dario Escabar) who's own goal led to Colombia's ouster at the hands of the US during the 1994 World Cup.

Escobar was gunned down outside a Medelin bar less than two weeks after the loss to the US. Witnesses heard Escobar's shooter shout Goooooooool! before each of the 12 shots to Escober. Some say it was payback from a disappointed Colombian gambling syndicate but I think it was most likely the shame experienced by losing to the American team.

Escobar's murderer was released from jail after eleven years and given a yellow card.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:29 AM

590 posts, read 1,012,938 times
First of all it would be just agreat things if bashers and haters (don't care if you are American. English or anything else) would pick another forum to do that.
And if you hate/dislike soccer or just don't care about it, get a life and spend your time where people don't talk about it.

That said, here's onto England-USA 1-1.

Before aything else I'll start with the assumption that if you know anything about soccer you are already aware that the FIFA rankings are as realistic as the North Korean's President being a candidate for the next Nobel Prize for Peace. I think it gave Algeria and Slovenia around position 20-25th worldwide, that should be enough...

Anyway, the result on paper is great for the USA as England, superpower or not, was heavy favorite everywhere and is still a team that many see as a possible World Cup winner. Keep in mind that often the Wc is won by teams starting slow and then growing throughout the tournament.
However, the draw isn't a drama for England, as the group is weak (have you seen Algeria-Slovenia today trying to play some soccer??).

England however needs to worry a bit and if they point the finger too much toward their goalkeeper, they are just missing the point. The problem wasn't Green's mistake, the problem was that England looked inexistent at midfield and tentative offensively. Save Gerrard and Lennon, there was very little from midfield on resembling a great team. Lampard was nowheer to be seen (except for one good shot), Rooney got involved late and too little and look, with all due respect, if Heskey is your starting central forward...you have a problem.

That said, England has plenty of time to regroup and get better. This was an alarm going off, but nothing bad happened. The draw allows both England and the USA to feel pretty good about their chances of moving to round 2.

The American team looked better than expected. They ran a lot, they fought well and they were overall more aggressive than England. Spectacular? Not really. But they performed solidly against a more talented team, so good job to the US
The only thing I did not like about the USA team, and it might cause problem from the second round on, is that they are playing (offensively) too much toward the center. There were several times when a US midfielder was carrying the ball and his options for the pass were limited as there were 5 American players in the middle in a total space of maybe 20 yards (wide).
I understand there is no real wing in the US team (no, don't say Donovan), but they need to be more spread out and start playing also on the sides.

That said, good game USA and disappointing but not tragic situation for England. These teams will both go to the next round and they will both have the opportunity to grow.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,235,798 times
Neither team played well. England played a bit less badly than the US. The US got very lucky when Green fumbled the ball. In general, the US defense, apart from Brown, was almost non-existent. My MVP? Brown.

On to the next match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer