U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:10 PM

3,350 posts, read 5,951,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
I donít have a problem with a sport morphing into something else, but call it something different.
I'm not sure people understand why Americans call their unique version of rugby "football" (I think someone said it should be called "handovoid"). It's because the first football-type game American universities played was something like a full-contact version of soccer. It made perfect sense to call it football, because it was a kicking game. But every school had its own way of playing, so they all had to sit down and agree on a shared set of rules. They eventually agreed to Harvard's request to base their rules around the English rugby code, after Harvard had gone to McGill College in Montreal and played a game of football under McGill's rugby rules.

At that point, the name of the game could very easily have changed to "rugby," or "American rugby," but everyone had known it for years as football. So the name stuck.

True story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 PM

897 posts, read 1,456,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondembo View Post
I tried watching a soccer game today between US and England, I was told it would be a big match for the US and I wanted to support our team, even if its just a non-major sport like soccer. I was shocked and appaled how little action there was and how little scoring. Over 2 hours of game and only 2 points were scored! Even worse there was no statistics/action to get excited over, just what seemed like random passing around and failure to score points. I can't believe that any person in the world would find this exciting. I can think of 50 things on how to improve the game and make it more exciting to watch just off the top of my head, primarily increasing the scoring.

Why doesn't the rest of the world get this? Why do they get excited about a boring 1-0 game? Why doesn't England or Italy or Brazil or Korea or anybody else want to change this sport to make it higher scoring and therefore more exciting?

Some people in the 70s-80s tried that,It was called the Major Indoor Soccer League.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:36 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,321 times
I'll try and strike a median.

I am a Yank and love American football yet have been interested in the World Cup.

Enjoyment of the games varies wildly dependent on who is playing for me.

I loved the game between Japan and Ghana, primarily cause I was rooting for Japan. Also you have the requisite US support.

However, I had trouble dealing with todays match between the Germans and Spain.

On the whole I think the game is ok, but the constant turnovers is a bit much to deal with. Also, as manganimous as I am personally, I really cannot defend some of the silly flailing and play acting getting hurt in games.

Do Soccer heads have tips on how to watch and enjoy the game? One thing that is hard for us Yanks to do is not constantly pay attention to who has the ball. Apparantly we aren't supposed to do that?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,556,771 times
To answer the OP,because the world is happy with the game the way it is and doesn't feel the need to cater to Americans who can't stay focused unless the scoreboard shows something like 28-17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or