U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,940,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I've been following the sport for years, but this year I have noticed an abnormal amout of soccer bashers come out of the woodwork. So, what is it about the world cup that offends people so much in this country? I find it beyond hilarious that so many people get bent out of shape over this event.
Not sure, but there are lots of folks who like to hate on things. Happens with hockey as well. I like the World cup lots of national passion and energy. I bet the goalie for England is happy he's not playing for Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:34 PM

26,596 posts, read 52,505,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
because the majority of Americans are racist and have this "holier than thou attitude" about themselves and this country. They see foreigners as 2nd class citizens. This is why most of the world dislikes Americans. I have many friends who started making fun of the World Cup when it started on Friday.....they are furious that Football season hasn't started and major networks are showing soccer. Sad situation.
???? I don't see it.

I live in Oakland CA and the sports bars are packed with fans... San Francisco even set up special arena viewing at no cost... doesn't sound racist to me...

I've traveled quite a bit overseas for work and even lived overseas for a time... many. I found, questioned US Policies... I never met a single person that disliked Americans... some even had aspirations of immigration... and we know that doesn't happen if you disdain the place you want to move to.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:08 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,994,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
???? I don't see it.

I live in Oakland CA and the sports bars are packed with fans... San Francisco even set up special arena viewing at no cost... doesn't sound racist to me...

I've traveled quite a bit overseas for work and even lived overseas for a time... many. I found, questioned US Policies... I never met a single person that disliked Americans... some even had aspirations of immigration... and we know that doesn't happen if you disdain the place you want to move to.
In 10 years living outside the US I've met plenty who don't like Americans (greedy, drive gas guzzling cars and don't care, loud, obnoxious, arrogant, wasteful, and obese). A lot of that dislike was based on GW though. Many have visited the US and were surprised at how friendly Americans are. Something Europeans have problems with is that many Americans believe that everybody in the world wants to live in America and that Americans are always saying it is the greatest country in the world (as indisputable fact, not as opinion). I had that drilled into me since 1st grade, so of course I didn't doubt it. Blind patriotism is dangerous.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 PM

26,596 posts, read 52,505,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
In 10 years living outside the US I've met plenty who don't like Americans (greedy, drive gas guzzling cars and don't care, loud, obnoxious, arrogant, wasteful, and obese). A lot of that dislike was based on GW though. Many have visited the US and were surprised at how friendly Americans are. Something Europeans have problems with is that many Americans believe that everybody in the world wants to live in America and that Americans are always saying it is the greatest country in the world (as indisputable fact, not as opinion). I had that drilled into me since 1st grade, so of course I didn't doubt it. Blind patriotism is dangerous.
There was no end to questions about Politics... it was during the Bush 43 era...

I've hosted some of my colleagues... German, Austrian and Swiss... they all had favorable impressions of the States during and after their visits...

Many said they could never live here and cited too much time devoted to work in America as the number 1 reason followed closely about concerns about Health Care.

My colleagues were absolutely shocked that there is no requirement for paid vacation time off in the California.... the starting apprentice in Austria could count on 6 weeks off and 14 months of pay... an extra month in August for vacation and an extra in December for the Holidays...

I did find everyone... truly everyone had questions for me... many were political and just as many were about living in California and San Francisco...

The car question was also interesting... Munich is home to BMW and I think about 50% of BMW production is Diesel... I had mentioned I liked the BMW 325i series and the group I was with said, "Typical American likes cars with big gasoline engines..."

I then explained I couldn't buy a Diesel BMW in California for love or money... BMW simply doesn't offer the same product to the States as it does to the rest of the world... part of the problem is California's strict Diesel Emmission standards.

They were however, duly impressed when I mentioned California motorists have been driving Catalyst Equipped Cars since the early 1970's... decades before the Europeans and GM had airbags in the 70's as well.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 AM

5,220 posts, read 5,899,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
A lot of Europeans like to mock America (for obesity, patriotism, shallowness, stupidity, hypocracy, religious fundamentalism, and so on). There's absolutely a degree of Anti-Americanism in Europe.

I'm not a exactly a soccer fan myself but I watch the World Cup every fourth year. I can't understand why people get offended. I couldn't care less about American Football but I respect the game and the Super Bowl.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:28 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,827,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
You know what...there may be some validity to this. I live in a pretty backwards state (Indiana) and I've noctied that alot of my "friends" that have a seething hatred for the world cup and soccer in general have a pretty strong hatred for anything that isn't "American" or dominated by Americans. Most of them are pretty racist too, which stikes me as odd because all of them love the NFL/ College football, which is primarilly dominated by African-Americans. I even brought this up to a guy I work with yesterday (who is constantly ragging on the world cup) and his response was something along the lines of "yeah, but the white man controls all the minorites in the NFL". SAD SAD SAD!
And yet, it's not Americans projecting monkey noises at black soccer players like Thierry Henry. That kind of behavior is virtually non-existent in modern American spectator sports, yet European leagues have to have programs to combat racism in the stands. I can't speak for the people with whom you hang around, but the "backwards" people to whom you refer are not representative of my experience in Indiana or the U.S.

Now, I will admit that there can be some petty nationalism involved in sports here. In other words, if it's not something we invented or are good at, we do tend to ignore or ridicule it. That is sad.

Europeans can be the biggest hypocrites when it comes to race. They call Americans racists and quickly point to the tragic history of race in this country, yet they seem to forget their own role in the slave trade. In the two years I served in Germany, many of the same locals who would label Americans as racists themselves had nothing nice to say about that country's burgeoning Turkish immigrant population (on top of the fact that I always found it interesting to be lectured about racism from Germans). And while the French ponder limits to Muslim dress for women, no such discussion has occured in the U.S.

So, while nationalism could be a factor in why so many Americans eschew soccer, I see no reason to bring racism into the discussion. It's a bunch of horse manure.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:16 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,595,815 times
I believe there's such a thing as too much analysis. It's not that soccer "offends" people. It's just a simple case of the United States not being primarily a soccer-loving country. That's all. If the rest of the world has a problem with that, it's their problem.

And, by the way, you can see that plenty of other countries do have a problem with it. Just watch the reactions any time the U.S. team puts up a win in World Cup competition.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:42 PM

93 posts, read 101,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

And, by the way, you can see that plenty of other countries do have a problem with it. Just watch the reactions any time the U.S. team puts up a win in World Cup competition.
To be honest I really don't think the rest of the world has a problem with the US team at all! I actually think there's pretty good will towards the US team, and certainly respect. I think if there is any problem its probably a contradictory mix of actually wanting the US to do pretty well while having a kind of worry that if the US does too well in a world cup that Americans in general will be ungracious and unbearable with it*

*the perception not necessarily the reality, though imo most winning sports fans tend to be considered ungracious and unbearable by the fans of rival teams

Last edited by velodrome; 06-16-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 02:52 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,377,908 times
To be honest, I think there is a concern in the rest of the world that, if the USA really adopted soccer, then our financial muscle would allow us to dominate the game to the detriment of the rest of the world.

Which, of course, is what the big countries in Europe have been doing to the detriment of the smaller countries.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:29 PM

21,457 posts, read 22,012,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
A lot of Europeans like to mock America (for obesity, patriotism, shallowness, stupidity, hypocracy, religious fundamentalism, and so on). There's absolutely a degree of Anti-Americanism in Europe.

I'm not a exactly a soccer fan myself but I watch the World Cup every fourth year. I can't understand why people get offended. I couldn't care less about American Football but I respect the game and the Super Bowl.
Hey! We're not all fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer