Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times

Advertisements

I've been following the sport for years, but this year I have noticed an abnormal amout of soccer bashers come out of the woodwork. So, what is it about the world cup that offends people so much in this country? I find it beyond hilarious that so many people get bent out of shape over this event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 02:53 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I've been following the sport for years, but this year I have noticed an abnormal amout of soccer bashers come out of the woodwork. So, what is it about the world cup that offends people so much in this country? I find it beyond hilarious that so many people get bent out of shape over this event.

I had that experience in the past, but this year everyone that I am friends/acquaintances with is into the World Cup. A lot of them are like me, we are just now getting into watching soccer and choosing what teams we want to go for. I guess in my experience it's because everyone I know worked with Brazilians the last couple of years and they(Brazilians) always talked soccer when they talked about sports so now people are interested in it, and my friends that aren't Brazilians are choosing teams that we like this World Cup that can hopefully beat Brazil so we stop hearing all the smack being talked by their fans...lol....It's not that much hate really, we just like messing with our Brazilian friends...lol

I have to go for the U.S. and Italy since my blood line is from Italy and I grew up in the U.S.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:16 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I have noticed/experienced the same thing! All the soccer bashers/trolls are out in full force...

I don't get it either, no idea why they seek it out to slam it. When I don't like a sport (for example baseball), I just don't watch it, I don't actively seek out baseball fans to slam/disrespect/put down their sport, know what I mean? But for some reason soccer really fires the haters up... I just don't get it!

The bashers and trollers will be dealt with X-Greensboro!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-14-2010 at 09:49 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 07:11 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I have noticed/experienced the same thing! All the soccer bashers/trolls are out in full force...

I don't get it either, no idea why they seek it out to slam it. When I don't like a sport (for example baseball), I just don't watch it, I don't actively seek out baseball fans to slam/disrespect/put down their sport, know what I mean? But for some reason soccer really fires the haters up... I just don't get it!
If the USA were a top 4 team with a genuine chance of winning the World Cup I think we might find that a lot of the haters suddenly become big fans.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Honestly , I've never heard anybody bash the World Cup . A lot of folks aren't into soccer , myself included . I guess there are haters for everything . I really don't give it much thought . I checked the score yesterday and moved on .

Old 06-13-2010, 08:00 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Read some of the posts on here. They want to know what the big deal is and they think the game is boring. I also had a relative (American) bash it on FB. I do have a couple of family members that will watch the US play, and both were excited by yesterdays tie.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:57 PM

325 posts, read 787,441 times
I think I should go bash football during the Super Bowl and baseball during the World Series.

Seriously though, as a long-time soccer fan (since 1989), it gets annoying and tiring. Like was mentioned above, I am just not that into other sports, so I don't go out of my way and bash those sports. I just ignore them. Same as non-soccer fans should do with soccer (and as mhounit did, which was appreciated).

Old 06-13-2010, 03:00 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I've never disliked the World Cup and even enjoy watching...

I tried to watch a game the other day and had to turn it off... I found the incessant Humming Noise to be particularly grating after a period of time... especially bringing the noise into my home

Old 06-13-2010, 03:39 PM

93 posts, read 115,960 times
I have to agree with the above and have muted any games I have watched. Commentators are pretty poor in most countries anyhow

Old 06-13-2010, 03:46 PM

351 posts, read 533,690 times
If the best my nation had to offer was Landycakes I would hate the beautiful game too

All jokes aside I think its just cultural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer